The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Thanks - here is a 100% crop of the house.
The coat of arms to the left of the window is in the centre of the main image.
It seems much sharper than the one on the right (which is the bottom of the lens in this case). The coat on the far left (out of shot) is also not as sharp.

DSC04777_b by Steve B, on Flickr

The rumour sites are full of Canon stuff... Sony stuff to follow?

Thanks; I don't know what that is, but I will go and research it now. :)

By the way where did you buy it from?

Mine had a decentering issue which Sony fixed for me under warranty (I got mine from LCE and they dealt with it brilliantly)

By the way where did you buy it from?
Mine had a decentering issue which Sony fixed for me under warranty (I got mine from LCE and they dealt with it brilliantly)

Also bought from LCE. :)

I don't have any antennas etc in eyeshot so will head out tomorrow and do this.
For now I shot a brick wall at 10mm with a tripod. The only correction made is the lens profile.

Full
by Steve B, on Flickr

Top left:
Top-Left by Steve B, on Flickr

Bottom left:
Bottom-Left by Steve B, on Flickr

Bottom Right:
Bottom-Right by Steve B, on Flickr

Top Right:
Top-Right by Steve B, on Flickr

Last edited:
Agreed.
Yeah I just noticed it wasn't parallel when I did the PP. Oops! :rolleyes:

As mentioned you are not parallel to the wall. Besides this is not a lens optimised for such shots. You'd be better off testing at infinity than close up.

A lot of zooms do and even some primes (especially samyang ones). I didn't notice it to be especially worst or better than others I have used. Seems to do well indoors tracking eyes of my son.
If you have any specific scenario I can reproduce I am happy to try and report back :)
I can’t say I’ve noticed the R4 struggles any more or less than other cameras I’ve owned tbh. Which lenses have you found struggle when paired with the R4?

A review on a lens that has been out for over three years being compared against a twelve month old and six year old lens. What am I missing?
On the other hand a comparison between the 70-350 & 100-400 looks interesting - https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63583280?image=3
The fun of it?

It's just a short vid, no need to question life, the universe and everything and sometimes the oddness of something maybe makes it at least passably interesting.
Hell Jeff, I was maybe expecting that you were surprised on the reviewer commenting on the image quality in comparison to price, but obviously its just a thread filler.

Last edited:
I can’t say I’ve noticed the R4 struggles any more or less than other cameras I’ve owned tbh. Which lenses have you found struggle when paired with the R4?

Zooms can struggle indoors sometimes when light is low or contrast is low. And you are right any camera would struggle in those situations. But I have got by in those cases with primes and I mostly never had problem with f1.4-1.8 primes. Samyang 35mm f1.4 did struggle a little when the light was low but that was on one of the earlier firmwares, so perhaps even that is better now.

I've got GAS for an A9-II, I wonder when they'll come down under £2k :thinking: :LOL:

I've been following that tilt shift thread Raymond has posted in. I've never had a tilt shift lens, I thought about it when I had Canon DSLR's but in the end I didn't bother.

Do we have any big tilt shift fans here?

Looking around there seem to be quite a few options and tilt shift adapters too.

I probably wont get one but it's something I've never tried so it could be fun :D

Any opinions / thoughts on these?

I've been following that tilt shift thread Raymond has posted in. I've never had a tilt shift lens, I thought about it when I had Canon DSLR's but in the end I didn't bother.

Do we have any big tilt shift fans here?

Looking around there seem to be quite a few options and tilt shift adapters too.

I probably wont get one but it's something I've never tried so it could be fun :D

Any opinions / thoughts on these?

big fan but can't justify owning one. may be one day after retirement when I don't need have much needs or have much responsibility beyond feeding myself and my missus I'll buy one.

big fan but can't justify owning one. may be one day after retirement when I don't need have much needs or have much responsibility beyond feeding myself and my missus I'll buy one.

It's just something I've never had.

Looking at the options I'm not sure if a lens or an adapter would be the way to go. Entry into this seems to be £400-500 or so if you're lucky. Can anyone beat that?

Has anyone ever used a tilt / shift adapter?

If you have a bunch of olf manual 40, 50mm lenses and the goal isn't about bokeh or ultimate optics sharpness but what something to play with, there is no better lens than something like a 45/2.8 TSE. Get it used to get best value. It is all metal, very old school construction, even comes with a Canon lens pouch and hood that you only find in the L Glass. Being manual it means it works on the Sony with a MC-11 perfect, in fact with EVF you can see the exposure in real time makes it even easier. Because by tilting the lens you are changing the path of the light and it can increase or decrease the amount hitting the sensor so back on the 5D I had to learn which way means I need to over compensate and which to under in the exposure. With peaking you can even punch in to see what is in focus too, something I couldn't do back on OVF.

I want too, but I absolutely can't afford it..:-(
That's exactly where I am ;) Overall the R4 suits me better, but it would be great to have both :LOL:

Normally you set your camera up to get the best out of it and you set the a9MKII up the same, the difference is the a9 MKII then gets the best out of you just about every time you use it the focus is so good for bif

Just sold my A7R4 it is a great camera but the AF isn't on par for bif and I always use the a9 mkII .

Rob

Normally you set your camera up to get the best out of it and you set the a9MKII up the same, the difference is the a9 MKII then gets the best out of you just about every time you use it the focus is so good for bif

Just sold my A7R4 it is a great camera but the AF isn't on par for bif and I always use the a9 mkII .

Rob
TBH I don't need the worlds greatest AF for what I shoot these days, except for Betty running towards me ;) I just fancy one to see what it's like shooting with world class AF.

Last edited:
I almost always get approached by fellow photographers when i am using the the TS. They want to know what it is. 99.999% of the population never seen such a thing and I would think 99% of photographers never seen one in person nevermind owning one. It's something you think you know but never seen one in person. Mine is kind of half square at the base too so with 2 screws sticking out on the side so when you twist it 45 degrees you have 2 square at the most opposite position. It looks like the lens is broken.

We had a thunder storm.

HRuUfEE.jpg

It was worse than it looks :D

Oh dear.

We were at the park feeding the ducks and squirrels but we didn't stay long as we could see the clouds in the distance and hear the thunder. We got home half an hour before it started and we wondered how the people in park coped as people were still arriving as we left.

Post rain garden shots with the tamron 70-180mm all at 180mm

1.5x crop (i.e. APS-C mode)
50051721842_d2ac1fb0ef_b.jpg

Square crop
50051718092_c3be21562d_b.jpg

~100% crop (or 2.7x), it upscales rather well in Gigapixel
50050891763_32f62aeea9_b.jpg

Almost no crop (just straighten a little). I normally don't post pics of my family but I'll make an exception for now :p
50051727057_f25986c5e3_b.jpg

Oh dear.

We were at the park feeding the ducks and squirrels but we didn't stay long as we could see the clouds in the distance and hear the thunder. We got home half an hour before it started and we wondered how the people in park coped as people were still arriving as we left.

Awful weather or not, it was nice to be back working again.

You need to stop posting images from the 70-180. I thought I had made my mind up to go for the Sigma 100-400.

if this took a 1.4x and 2x TC I would have suggested this. But at the moment sigma is much better if you need that reach.

if this took a 1.4x and 2x TC I would have suggested this. But at the moment sigma is much better if you need that reach.

Realistically I don't need either of them. Whichever I go for will mostly be used for landscape shots so not having the 2.8 is not a major concern but likewise I don't really need the reach of a 400mm. Should maybe just stick with the canon 100-300 :)

Back