The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Realistically I don't need either of them. Whichever I go for will mostly be used for landscape shots so not having the 2.8 is not a major concern but likewise I don't really need the reach of a 400mm. Should maybe just stick with the canon 100-300 :)
Canon 100-300 isn't too bad actually for landscapes stopped down to f8.
I got some good shots with it.

Last edited:
Dent, Yorkshire Dales (though technically Cumbria). Please excuse the stupid copyright logo, I was messing about with lightroom and forgot to turn it off.

DSC09444 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC09430-2 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC09407 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC09413 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC09359-2 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC09279 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC09272-2 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC09324 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Last edited:
Dent, Yorkshire Dales (though technically Cumbria). Please excuse the stupid copyright logo, I was messing about with lightroom and forgot to turn it off.

DSC09444 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC09430-2 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC09407 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC09413 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC09359-2 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC09279 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC09272-2 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC09324 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr
Lovely images, was there 2 years ago, last time I did some decent walking, unlikely to be repeated sadly.

Saturday is shopping day - I didn't have the time/energy to get these processed yesterday.

Tesco by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Care by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Great Prices by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Sick Squid by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

I deliberately bunged the silly lens on the camera & left it there just to see what it was like to use it. I can tell you that a bare & protruding front element (have to take the lens hood off because it vignettes like it's an APS-C lens :p) collects raindrops very fast. After the first picture inside the store I was accosted by a member of staff who wanted to know what I was doing, so I showed her the image on the rear screen and she was much more friendly afterwards. I'd have liked to take more but didn't really feel free to do so - plus there's the old thing of 'when you hold a hammer....' etc. Distortion for a socially distorted time.

FWIW this is the first lens I ever owned where getting ones own feet in the picture is entirely reasonable.

Last edited:
Getting your feet in a picture used to be quite popular.

The pictures were worth the accostment but I wouldn't risk it. The first and last time I took a picture in a shop was in a chocolate factory shop Kazakhstan and a really big security guard with a gun told me "No picture." :(

I’ve finally got out with the camera and taken a photo I’m thinking of keeping! It’s only a quick edit to see if it’s worth spending more time editing later in the week (it’s probably a little underexposed and the WB is a little warm).

FFC7AD5D-94EE-4777-9368-83B41507B90A.jpeg

I was very impressed with the A9 getting this as I don’t think I could have got it on any of my previous cameras. I wanted to get a low view point but I’d left the centre column in the travel tripod I was using so I couldn’t get as low as I wanted. I thought I’d tried something I’d never tried before, hand holding the 100-400 about 4-6 inches above the ground whilst kneeling on the ground and using the the back screen tilted upwards. I used zone focus (set towards the top left corner) rather than my usual single AF point as the screen wasn’t the easiest to see with reflected sunlight and keeping a single point on the fallow deer would have been difficult.

Auto ISO in manual mode (1/1250, f5.6, ISO 200) with exposure compensation set at -2.

I’ve finally got out with the camera and taken a photo I’m thinking of keeping! It’s only a quick edit to see if it’s worth spending more time editing later in the week (it’s probably a little underexposed and the WB is a little warm).

View attachment 284669

I was very impressed with the A9 getting this as I don’t think I could have got it on any of my previous cameras. I wanted to get a low view point but I’d left the centre column in the travel tripod I was using so I couldn’t get as low as I wanted. I thought I’d tried something I’d never tried before, hand holding the 100-400 about 4-6 inches above the ground whilst kneeling on the ground and using the the back screen tilted upwards. I used zone focus (set towards the top left corner) rather than my usual single AF point as the screen wasn’t the easiest to see with reflected sunlight and keeping a single point on the fallow deer would have been difficult.

Auto ISO in manual mode (1/1250, f5.6, ISO 200) with exposure compensation set at -2.

Yes. Worth spending more time on imo. Great capture.

They look like some good poppies. I went out last week after the heavy rain only to find most of the poppies destroyed by the rain.

Shame. I'm not always successful at finding and catching poppies, bluebells, etc so I don't often bother. There's a field of them north of Bristol that every photographer and his dog had been to so I'm happy I've only seen one other image from this field.

So here's the best alignment test for the Sony 10-18mm f/4 that I could achieve over the weekend with the rubbish weather.
I focused on the chimney closest to the middle (the left of the three in shot). All shot at 10mm.
To me, the top right looks pretty bad (blurry), but what I guess I need to understand whether this quality is acceptable for this lens?

DSC05050 by Steve B, on Flickr

Top Left 5051
by Steve B, on Flickr

Top Right 5052
by Steve B, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jgn7vi]Bottom Left 5054
by Steve B, on Flickr

50057796277_8d7e33d3a3_z.jpg
[/url]
Bottom Right 5053 by Steve B, on Flickr

Not much talk about the Tamron 28-200 on here - anyone interested in it or tried it yet ?

I personally wouldn't keep that lens or see if you can get it fixed.
...might even be better to just get it fixed rather than going through 3-4 copies.

Thanks both.
Does anyone have real experience of the Sony repairs process and timescale? If it's a week to fix, it might be worth it but if it's going to take 6 weeks I'd rather not wait...
Cheers

Not much talk about the Tamron 28-200 on here - anyone interested in it or tried it yet ?

Somewhat interested....
my current travel kit is 16-35GM, 24-105, 70-180mm with FE55.

Could change it to 16-35GM, 28-200mm, 24GM and FE55, I really liked having 24GM in the past.
But it'll need get very close to the quality of 24-105mm and 70-180mm for me to consider going down this route and what are the chances?

Somewhat interested....

Could change it to 16-35GM, 28-200mm, 24GM and FE55, I really liked having 24GM in the past.
But it'll need get very close to the quality of 24-105mm and 70-180mm for me to consider going down this route and what are the chances?

Well it appears better than the 24-240 but that doesnt mean it will be as good as the 24-105 !

Somewhat interested....

Just how good is the 16-35GM? It is payday tomorrow and Im thinking of a wide lens but was leaning towards the F4 version as Im assuming it would be stopped down most of the time. Would I notice much difference on my a7R2 between the F4 and the GM? In the centre they are meant to be pretty similar..
Living in London Im determined to get out more to take photo's after being locked down for so long and I have never been a wide person so that is my new challenge for the next few months. Im thinking Tube stations have some great opportunities for wide photography and there are always lots of funky buildings of course.
Id have to sell my recently purchased XT3 to afford the GM though, I guess if I bought it back later on it would be cheaper as time goes on..

F2.8 or F4....
Decisions...

Snapped this on the 10-18mm. Straight out of the camera and it looks better without the lens correction in LR!

DSC04918 by Steve B, on Flickr

Just how good is the 16-35GM? It is payday tomorrow and Im thinking of a wide lens but was leaning towards the F4 version as Im assuming it would be stopped down most of the time. Would I notice much difference on my a7R2 between the F4 and the GM? In the centre they are meant to be pretty similar..
Living in London Im determined to get out more to take photo's after being locked down for so long and I have never been a wide person so that is my new challenge for the next few months. Im thinking Tube stations have some great opportunities for wide photography and there are always lots of funky buildings of course.
Id have to sell my recently purchased XT3 to afford the GM though, I guess if I bought it back later on it would be cheaper as time goes on..

F2.8 or F4....
Decisions...

If you are using the lenses at f8 you won't notice a whole lot of difference. The main difference you'll notice is at f4 in the corners and more so at 35mm end.
I used to own the 16-35mm f4 lens in the past and it's really good. Only reason to buy the GM would be if you plan on shooting at f2.8.

In theory, for landscape, it is an appealing lens. The trouble for me is I also like my shallow dof landscape images so the 40mm would still come along anyway so I'd basically be buying it to replace the Contax 80-200...... Then I also have the lightweight 21mm......

Still, something to think about I guess.....

Another from the dog walk yesterday. Think I prefer the processing and colours of this one (I'm still learning Sony)

A7R03624
by TDG-77, on Flickr

My first attempt at HDR and black and white conversion. I very very very rarely edit photo's, I spend all my day in front of a computer so avoid them like the plague when I get home. It is a habit that I really need to break...

This was taken at Scotney Castle nr Tunbridge Wells

50058639288_9494466329_b.jpg

The 10-18 is going back to LCE for refund. Have had to order another one online.

Whilst I was in the shop I fell in love with the A6400 and couldn't help myself.
So yeah, I've now got two parcels on the way! [emoji23]

No to both. I have a 24-105 which I'll take when travelling, but I now seem to prefer primes for almost all work. I've owned 28-200s in the past and still have one in A mount, but prefer 24 at the wide end and f4 at the long end.

Back