The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

No to both. I have a 24-105 which I'll take when travelling, but I now seem to prefer primes for almost all work. I've owned 28-200s in the past and still have one in A mount, but prefer 24 at the wide end and f4 at the long end.

Tamron is only f4.5 at long end and it's f2.8 at wide end. So it has some positives.

He said "Tell nandbytes that he MUST buy one - he'll absolutely love it (for 5min)".

;)

Well that settles it then. I'll go order one.

Just discovered my/the Tamron 70-180mm has a 'secret' macro mode. At 70mm flick to MF and adjust focus to as close as possible and you get 1:2 macro lens with a sharp centre and really dreamy corners. Nothing decent to share this evening but ill have a play around in the garden tomorrow.

Love this lens.

Not been on or taking any pics for what seems like ages now!

So, who has the Tamron 70-180? Build quality ok? Any signs of barrel wobble etc? And has anyone changed from the 70-200 GM and any general comparisons?

looking at prices it looks like I would be paying the same price for the sale of mine. Hopefully £1 eBay fees will come up if I do!

So, who has the Tamron 70-180? Build quality ok? Any signs of barrel wobble etc? And has anyone changed from the 70-200 GM and any general comparisons?

looking at prices it looks like I would be paying the same price for the sale of mine. Hopefully £1 eBay fees will come up if I do!

I've got one. Good quality built, no barrel wobble as it doesn't extend a huge lot.
Used to own 70-200GM wouldn't go back to it. For me the only real positive of the GM is that it supports teleconverters. Buttons and switches on the GM lens is nice to have but not end of the world. Personally don't care for stabilization (not more than 1-2 stops anyway) so lack of OS doesn't affect me. The IQ is on par with GM if not slightly better in corners.

Hi all, sorry for invading this thread. I am currently looking at options for a APS-C Mirrorless & was wondering how well they work with the adapter for Canon EF lenses, in particular the 100mm 2.8L & 70-200 2.8L II ?

Many thanks

Hi all, sorry for invading this thread. I am currently looking at options for a APS-C Mirrorless & was wondering how well they work with the adapter for Canon EF lenses, in particular the 100mm 2.8L & 70-200 2.8L II ?

Many thanks

depends on the adapter and body combination.
Your best bet is something like EOS M6ii which will provide better adapter support and AF.

I wouldn't be selling the GM to replace it with the Tamron unless your getting a good whack of cash to bank along with it.

I don't have the Tamron but I know others that do and are very happy with it. It isn't as good a lens though when you look at the detail. Losing the 200mm, no I.S, build quality not anywhere near as good, not an internal zoom, the Tamron will be a huge dust sucker, the list goes on.

If you were able to swap out the G.M and get the Tamron plus 1k in your pocket and need the cash maybe an option.

The Tamron will drop quite a lot in value over the next while as well.

Last edited:
It's a dull and windy day here.

Just for fun, a small bud. A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 at f1.4 and with No.4 close focus adapter and just a bit past minimum focus distance.

Zdn0X9y.jpg

f2.

Ij6NJNX.jpg

Last edited:
Camera jungle today sold a 70-200 2.8 GM for the same price as that tamron 70-180mm costs. I know which I’d choose.

Yep. I've had both, I'd take the Tamron every time, size and weight benefit with very little downside.

The fact it’s missing 180-200 is the big sore point for me.

Same with the 28-75 being 28 and not 24.

That’s the issue with tamron, always a caveat sadly.

Their 5 year warranty is great though.
TBH the difference between 180-200mm isn't a big deal for me, 24mm vs 28mm is a big difference though imo. The weight of the Tamron is enough to make me go for that tbh, and I think that's why they've done it. If weight was similar to the GM I think people would tend to buy a used GM over the Tammy.

How much difference is there in framing between 180mm and 200mm? I could understand that difference at the short end as every mm makes a big difference at that end but how much difference there in real times at the longer end?

Edit: I just found a focal length image comparison from Nikon:

9A191DA6-155D-40DC-801C-55E436340A85.jpeg
F0D95A7C-41FD-4FF0-8ECE-5DB68AE12FD5.jpeg

For landscapes that doesn’t make much difference a small crop can resolve. I can’t find a portrait example.

Last edited:
It's an understandable trade off given they could easily be straying into GM territory (size and cost) if they went like for like. 180-200mm is largely unnoticeable to me, until recently I was typically shooting primes so a bit of cropping has never bothered me, I have 42mp to play with...

I guess the trade off has worked given the 28-75 was apparently one of biggest selling lens in the world last year.

How much difference is there in framing between 180mm and 200mm? I could understand that difference at the short end as every mm makes a big difference at that end but how much difference there in real times at the longer end?
TBH I think my Nikon VRII was worse due to the focus breathing, think it was like 150mm or something at close distance :eek:

Same with the 28-75 being 28 and not 24.

That’s the issue with tamron, always a caveat sadly.

Their 5 year warranty is great though.
Camera jungle today sold a 70-200 2.8 GM for the same price as that tamron 70-180mm costs. I know which I’d choose.

Having had both would pick tamron any day.
180mm vs. 200mm isn't a great difference with high res sensors.
Also I wouldn't carry the 70-200GM most of the time it'd get left behind which is why I sold it. I would actually carry the tamron. So just the fact that I have it with me most of time makes it worth it.

24mm vs. 28mm is bigger difference for me but also not end of the world.

Last edited:

Edit: I just found a focal length image comparison from Nikon:

View attachment 284836
View attachment 284837

For landscapes that doesn’t make much difference a small crop can resolve. I can’t find a portrait example.

Less than I'd imagined to be fair!

The Nikon did have pretty bad focus breathing but in a way I got used to it and didn’t really notice the issue.
Me neither. That was kind of my point, I didn’t notice it with that and the Tamron will actually give more reach.

How do people feel about digital dials?

I suppose they may come one day.

That sounds as dumb as replacing tactile knobs and switched to control the functions of a car with a touch screen.

For me it depends if they turn into the same effect as the digital zoom on some of the Sony lenses, vs still being a "clicky" dial. The tactile feedback and ability to not have the dial move at the slightest touch is key. Or a hybrid with a switch like what the G7X mkII lens can do.
But, the ability to actually set the dial to your own choosing sounds awesome.

That sounds as dumb as replacing tactile knobs and switched to control the functions of a car with a touch screen.

nikon seems to be doing dumb things recently :p
but I use a microsoft mouse with a tactile feedback scrolling wheel and it works rather well. So I can see this working pretty well if its implemented nicely.

I've decided to go for the Tamron 28-200 - just can't decide to go to E-Infinity for £599 or my friendly local LCE for £780....

(Don't want to get into the UK v Grey argument as there are plenty of other threads about that)

Mind you it isnt in stock at E-Infinity yet...

I've decided to go for the Tamron 28-200 - just can't decide to go to E-Infinity for £599 or my friendly local LCE for £780....

(Don't want to get into the UK v Grey argument as there are plenty of other threads about that)

Mind you it isnt in stock at E-Infinity yet...

Major benefit when buying Tamron locally is the 5 year warranty.

The concept of having a digital display built into a dial so that it can show what it does, and allows dials to be customised as required, is a nice one, assuming they are durable enough, and the rotating part of the dial maintains the tactile feel of a normal dial.
It's a bit like the OLED displays in Zeiss Batis lenses.

I've just been called an idiot for getting too obsessed with noise at a pixel peeping level. (by a close friend and constructively :ROFLMAO: ). Do you feel the noise in my photo is at an acceptable level viewed normally, as in not zoomed in?

DSC03332-2 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

I doesn't look obviously noisy to me, in fact it looks quite good :D

Did you use any noise reduction?

I've just been called an idiot for getting too obsessed with noise at a pixel peeping level. (by a close friend and constructively :ROFLMAO: ). Do you feel the noise in my photo is at an acceptable level viewed normally, as in not zoomed in?

viewing on here i'd say theres a little too much for my taste. viewing via flickr though it looks perfectly fine to my eyes.

Bit too much noise for me also. With images like this I tend to brush in NR for the background and leave the bird untouched or brush in a smaller amount of NR.

Back