The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

No idea.

The only numbering issue I've had is when it reaches the end and starts again so pictures I took recently appear before pictures I took a while back when pictures are ordered by name.

Is there an option in the menu relating to how files are named? If there is could it have been altered or just altered itself? Maybe it's worth a few minutes wading through the menu just to make sure something like that hasn't happened.

I rename on import to Lightroom, to include the camera and year - this keeps things from my 3 cameras nicely separate and ordered (I also copy to a folder by date, just to be 100% sure!)

Just reporting back on ND's. With the 85mm f1.8 and an ND8 and ND4 fitted focusing was fine wide open to f8, not noticeably too slow and fine for non action anyway on my creaking old A7.

I'd almost forgotten what a nice lens that 85mm f1.8 is, I must try and use it more.
Thanks, appreciate you trying this for me. For clarity did you stack the ND8 and ND4 or just use them individually?

Thanks, appreciate you trying this for me. For clarity did you stack the ND8 and ND4 or just use them individually?

I stacked them both at the same time as you mentioned 4 or 5 stops and an ND8 + ND4 is afaik 5 stops.

I thought the camera had focus limiter, must be confusing it with the Nikon, very odd and annoying omission. Hmmm, that could be a deal breaker for me :(:dummy:One of the main uses for me is motorsport and with today's health and safety you're mainly shooting through catch fencing.

can't say I have tried in the scenario but I can't imagine it being a massive issue and its possible to work around it.

For the decision is rather simple which lens gets least in the way of me getting shots and that's the tamron. The size of GM is more of a deal breaker for me since I would almost never carry it,

Only Leica level? Not quite at Canon eye watering mirrorless prices yet then?

Sure about that? :)

And the 50/85 from Canon are 1.2 so not really comparable.

Going to have to be a whole lot better than the Sigma which is half the price.

Last edited:
can't say I have tried in the scenario but I can't imagine it being a massive issue and its possible to work around it.

For the decision is rather simple which lens gets least in the way of me getting shots and that's the tamron. The size of GM is more of a deal breaker for me since I would almost never carry it,
You can work around it for sure, but sometimes this does mean MF if you want to avoid hunting/confusion. The weight of the GM is indeed off putting, but for me the Tammy is starting to have a number of negatives (for my needs/usage) too, and at £1300 it’s a big ask with those negatives. The 70-200mm f4 keeps popping onto my radar too :facepalm:

I shall procrastinate some more, as I always do ;)

Just reporting back on ND's. With the 85mm f1.8 and an ND8 and ND4 fitted focusing was fine wide open to f8, not noticeably too slow and fine for non action anyway on my creaking old A7.

I'd almost forgotten what a nice lens that 85mm f1.8 is, I must try and use it more.

@snerkler i can try this a little later as well with some action shots of my Siberian Husky running about. I don’t have the Sony 85mm but I do have an 85mm F1.8 and an A7ii, so if my a7ii can do alright you should be grand with an a7R4.

You can work around it for sure, but sometimes this does mean MF if you want to avoid hunting/confusion. The weight of the GM is indeed off putting, but for me the Tammy is starting to have a number of negatives (for my needs/usage) too, and at £1300 it’s a big ask with those negatives. The 70-200mm f4 keeps popping onto my radar too :facepalm:

I shall procrastinate some more, as I always do ;)

I just have one of my buttons setup to recall and override all focus setting and do a DMF style AF which gives me a chance to quickly change focus. It works well enough when lenses get confused. I have to do this for my other lenses anyway since most of them don't have focus limiters.

edit:
As for FE70-200mm/4 tamron is faster, smaller, lighter and sharper. I see no real reason to buy the FE70-200/4 tbh over the tamron but that's just me.
And as you know I see lack of tripod collar as a positive in this lens.

Last edited:
@snerkler i can try this a little later as well with some action shots of my Siberian Husky running about. I don’t have the Sony 85mm but I do have an 85mm F1.8 and an A7ii, so if my a7ii can do alright you should be grand with an a7R4.
That’d be great ta, the more info the better. I won’t be shooting anything as difficult as a dog running when I’m using the ND’s so if it works on that I’ll be fine (y)
I just have one of my buttons setup to recall and override all focus setting and do a DMF style AF which gives me a chance to quickly change focus. It works well enough when lenses get confused. I have to do this for my other lenses anyway since most of them don't have focus limiters.

edit:
As for FE70-200mm/4 tamron is faster, smaller, lighter and sharper. I see no real reason to buy the FE70-200/4 tbh over the tamron but that's just me.
And as you know I see lack of tripod collar as a positive in this lens.
Yep, I think we have different needs. The tamron is still tempting, it’s just come out more expensive than I’d expected, no tripod collar, no AF/MF switch and no focus limiter, all things that I use frequently when I use a lens like this. Forking out £1300 when it’s not ideal is a big ask :(

@snerkler @nandbytes

I had a quick go at this in my garden with the dog. A couple things to bare in my mind, Im on my own throwing treats to get the dog to run and then having to compose and take the shot so with a helper later results could change.

I set the focus to AF-C and had the tracking set to lock on centre. I would say that getting the dogs face in focus at F1.8 running towards the camera resulted in a zero success rate when examined. The body of the dog was mainly in focus but it lost the eyes and nose. If you where shooting a car side on then I reckon it's possible, especially on something with good AF like an A7iii and up, while my Lens will also be a factor, I suspect the Sony F1.8 will be faster.

As @woof woof said, static shots weren't really an issue nor was some slow movement, especially movement you could anticipate.

This was a typical shot of the dog running towards camera. ND8 attached.

untitled-19 by Anthony Kenny, on Flickr

@snerkler @nandbytes

I had a quick go at this in my garden with the dog. A couple things to bare in my mind, Im on my own throwing treats to get the dog to run and then having to compose and take the shot so with a helper later results could change.

I set the focus to AF-C and had the tracking set to lock on centre. I would say that getting the dogs face in focus at F1.8 running towards the camera resulted in a zero success rate when examined. The body of the dog was mainly in focus but it lost the eyes and nose. If you where shooting a car side on then I reckon it's possible, especially on something with good AF like an A7iii and up, while my Lens will also be a factor, I suspect the Sony F1.8 will be faster.

As @woof woof said, static shots weren't really an issue nor was some slow movement, especially movement you could anticipate.

Think I'm missing the context here....

Think I'm missing the context here....

I think I’m missing it now

Did you not say you wanted to see if it (af) could keep up with a dog running around while an ND8 was attached? Part of a conversation chain, involving woof woof, snerkler?

I’m just saying that the AF in the A7ii can’t keep up when using an ND8 and tracking a moving subject At F1.8. It really struggles but perhaps the A7iii which has great AF can do better, would be surprised if it didn’t!

Snerkler was interested in panning motorsport shots as mentioned and I reckon the car will be easier to keep in focus (especially mf) than a dog as you generally know where the car will move to, though with him shooting through a wire fence, added complexity that I didn’t have. I also just confirmed that I got the same results as woof woof with the dog sitting (mostly) stationary using the ND8, no real focus issues but definitely a little slower.

The image I attached was just a typical example of what I got, a s*** shot that would be unusable.

Also, just to add, I can’t throw the treat and have time to get the Dog to run and pick the camera up and manual focus. Hence why I said when i get a helper later the results could change. My husky is stubborn, surprised he was using the camera and I was running around!

Last edited:

Did you not say you wanted to see if it (af) could keep up with a dog running around while an ND8 was attached? Part of a conversation chain, involving woof woof, snerkler?

I’m just saying that the AF in the A7ii can’t keep up when using an ND8 and tracking a moving subject At F1.8. It really struggles but perhaps the A7iii which has great AF can do better, would be surprised if it didn’t!

Snerkler was interested in panning motorsport shots as mentioned and I reckon the car will be easier to keep in focus (especially mf) than a dog as you generally know where the car will move to, though with him shooting through a wire fence, added complexity that I didn’t have. I also just confirmed that I got the same results as woof woof with the dog sitting (mostly) stationary using the ND8, no real focus issues but definitely a little slower.

The image I attached was just a typical example of what I got, a s*** shot that would be unusable.

Also, just to add, I can’t throw the treat and have time to get the Dog to run and pick the camera up and manual focus. Hence why I said when i get a helper later the results could change. My husky is stubborn, surprised he was using the camera and I was running around!
Nope not me :)
But I have shot motor sports with a 5stops ND filter on an 85GM lens no problem (A7RIII body).

Nope not me :)
But I have shot motor sports with a 5stops ND filter on an 85GM lens no problem (A7RIII body).

Cool, lost in translation!

I reckon if I had my full concentration on just taking the shot; the A7ii could possibly do it but certainly not with a great repeatable success rate. The GM lens is also better than what I have so that would be a factor but the A7Riii doing it based on what i seen with the A7ii doesn’t surprise me, just didn’t want to say it could as I haven’t used it!

Last week I almost bought an A7iii, talked myself up to the A7riii before saying well for a few hundred more I could get the r4 (grey). Then it would be new memory cards, upgrade iMac again, it never stops lol

Fairly sure an ND8 is 8 stops and a 4 is 4 stops = 12 stops. My ND10 is definitely 10 stops.
No I think you’re getting confused. ND4 is two stops, ND8 is three stops, ND16 is 4 stops and so on. 10 stops is ND1000
@snerkler @nandbytes

Thanks very much. It looks quite dull so I’d expect AF to be diminished with an ND filter, but would you say AF is noticeably affected by the ND or is it just more low light?

Yep, I think we have different needs. The tamron is still tempting, it’s just come out more expensive than I’d expected, no tripod collar, no AF/MF switch and no focus limiter, all things that I use frequently when I use a lens like this. Forking out £1300 when it’s not ideal is a big ask :(

I had a brief try of the Tamron whilst having a social distancing catch up with a few friends. It’s nice, I can really see the appeal but it’s not going to tempt me away from my GM.

But I can see why people like it a lot.

I had a brief try of the Tamron whilst having a social distancing catch up with a few friends. It’s nice, I can really see the appeal but it’s not going to tempt me away from my GM.

But I can see why people like it a lot.
The draws for the Tamron are cost and weight, the latter being by far the biggest draw. Its just whether that outweighs the lack of collar, AF switch and focus limiter. As we’ve already seen this will be very dependant on the individual (y)

The draws for the Tamron are cost and weight, the latter being by far the biggest draw. Its just whether that outweighs the lack of collar, AF switch and focus limiter. As we’ve already seen this will be very dependant on the individual (y)

I can understand your reservation about the focus limiter but AF switch? lot of your lenses don't have it.

But the AF switch is not as big a deal as the focus limiter, and the AF switch alone wouldn’t be a deal breaker.

well it'd be nice if more people bought this lens since that means more lenses to come from tamron if they are doing well.
I have really liked both the 28-75mm/2.8 I had and this 70-180mm.
I am going to give the 28-200mm a try at some point probably when I can grab it much cheaper than its current price.

No I think you’re getting confused. ND4 is two stops, ND8 is three stops, ND16 is 4 stops and so on. 10 stops is ND1000

Thanks very much. It looks quite dull so I’d expect AF to be diminished with an ND filter, but would you say AF is noticeably affected by the ND or is it just more low light?
No worries, it was mostly the ND filter. It never really hunted for focus but was def slower. It noticed it more on the static shots as it’s fairly rapid but this was just slower. The light was actually ok, a little overcast but with Sun coming in and out from behind the clouds it was giving a nice defused light at times. I’m going to have another blast at this tomorrow so will take a shot without filter so we have a baseline. I’m sure the dog won’t mind performing for a few more treats!

On your A7r4 how do you find the speed importing and editing of shots? I’m thinking of going for one over the A7riii and with the increase to 61mp I’m a bit worried about how my pc will handle it. Ive a 2018 IMac, i5 3.9ghz, 32GB ram, external SSD (560MB/s) and RX580. It’s ok with the 50MB a7ii uncompressed files. I would think the a7r4 files would be around 130MB each?

well it'd be nice if more people bought this lens since that means more lenses to come from tamron if they are doing well.
I have really liked both the 28-75mm/2.8 I had and this 70-180mm.
I am going to give the 28-200mm a try at some point probably when I can grab it much cheaper than its current price.
I've always been happy with Tamron but for me I'm finding these latest releases a little 'frustrating'. Whilst they're very tempting they're just getting things slightly 'wrong' for my needs which keeps making me shy away from them. Obviously we've discussed the 70-180mm, but with the other two zooms you've mentioned they're starting at 28mm rather than 24mm, oh how I wish they were 24mm :(
No worries, it was mostly the ND filter. It never really hunted for focus but was def slower. It noticed it more on the static shots as it’s fairly rapid but this was just slower. The light was actually ok, a little overcast but with Sun coming in and out from behind the clouds it was giving a nice defused light at times. I’m going to have another blast at this tomorrow so will take a shot without filter so we have a baseline. I’m sure the dog won’t mind performing for a few more treats!

On your A7r4 how do you find the speed importing and editing of shots? I’m thinking of going for one over the A7riii and with the increase to 61mp I’m a bit worried about how my pc will handle it. Ive a 2018 IMac, i5 3.9ghz, 32GB ram, external SSD (560MB/s) and RX580. It’s ok with the 50MB a7ii uncompressed files. I would think the a7r4 files would be around 130MB each?
There are a few factors that affect import speeds and editing, for me one of the biggest it your previews. I always build 1:1 previews and so importing has always been relatively slow, although that being said I can still edit files whilst the 1:1's are being built. I have a MBP i7 2.9GHz 16GB RAM 1TB SSD.

I have found a 'trick' to get the file size down though. I use the Adobe DNG converter and it reduces file size to 55-70mb, and to date I have found no down side with converting to DNG.

I've always been happy with Tamron but for me I'm finding these latest releases a little 'frustrating'. Whilst they're very tempting they're just getting things slightly 'wrong' for my needs which keeps making me shy away from them. Obviously we've discussed the 70-180mm, but with the other two zooms you've mentioned they're starting at 28mm rather than 24mm, oh how I wish they were 24mm :(

There are a few factors that affect import speeds and editing, for me one of the biggest it your previews. I always build 1:1 previews and so importing has always been relatively slow, although that being said I can still edit files whilst the 1:1's are being built. I have a MBP i7 2.9GHz 16GB RAM 1TB SSD.

I have found a 'trick' to get the file size down though. I use the Adobe DNG converter and it reduces file size to 55-70mb, and to date I have found no down side with converting to DNG.

But that’s the obvious up front compromise - reduced focal length for better optical performance and smaller form.

Personally even 24mm isn’t wide enough for me so I would always have my Samyang 18mm with me when I want to go properly wide.

Last edited:
Back