The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Its 5 -10-20 fps 12 would be nice though.

Rob.

tamron 28-200 vs Sony 24-240
View: https://youtu.be/C2L-fRVhx6k

TL;DR - Sony lens is crap. Tamron is actually rather good for its kind in fact seems somewhat impressive for a superzoom.

Thanks for the video as I've been pondering replacing the Sony 24-240mm and replacing it with the Tamron 28-200mm. I didn't initially consider the Tamron since it's short at the telephoto end especially compared to the Nikon 28-300mm I favoured but the reviews for the Tamron lens all seem extremely good and consistently bad for the 24-240. I haven't been getting good results from the Sony lens which I thought was me but I'm thinking the lens is more to blame than I thought and while the Tamron loses a lot of telephoto, it's not that much use anyway.

I picked up the Sigma 100-400mm which I'm extremely pleased after wanting a longer Sony lens for a while but couldn't justify the price of the Sony 100-400mm. It's a handy focal range I used to like on the Olympus 50-200mm and size/weight is about the limit for portability for me, it does look quite hefty in pictures but I'm not finding it too bad in practice.

I don't use 20fps as much as I thought I would and tend to find 5fps is useful enough most of the time although the 20fps is handy when the subject is moving quickly, I find I need to be careful because the camera can burn through a crazy amount of pictures before you know it. On that subject are there any particular UHS-II cards that are a good price? Looking at actual write speeds and prices, the Lexar 2000x is looking good.

Be wary with Lexar, their customer support in my experience has been lacking.

I had a 1000x card fall apart and as I hadn't kept the receipt they wouldn't honour the lifetime warranty.

OK so they stuck to their rules but they lost a future customer through penny pinching in my opinion.

Hiring the Tamron 70-180mm next weekend for Donington, will hopefully get some general photos too so that I can test colours and rendering.

Samyang 18mm and 24mm, Sony 35mm, 28mm and 28-70mm all sold and now on the lookout for a Sony 16-35mm f4 :)

I wish the Sony’s had a feature where the camera could detect it was on a tripod and automatically turn off IBIS. Forgot to turn it off yesterday when using the 16-35mm because the 24-105 does it by a switch :(

I wish the Sony’s had a feature where the camera could detect it was on a tripod and automatically turn off IBIS. Forgot to turn it off yesterday when using the 16-35mm because the 24-105 does it by a switch :(

i have forgotten a few times myself but I have never actually noticed any issues though.

My old A900 has a switch on body - I still forget (sometimes to turn it off, sometimes to turn it back on!) :LOL:

Either put a sticky label on your tripod head reminding you to turn off IBIS, or I actually keep it off as default and turn it on when I need it!

you should change your signature ;)
Also that was quick!
Well they’ve not technically gone yet ;) Yeah, got a good quote from MPB (after some negotiating) and doubt I’d get much more selling privately so it saves hassle.
i have forgotten a few times myself but I have never actually noticed any issues though.
Me neither.

Does it actually make a difference?

The long exposure shots I posted before were on tripod and I never. Thought to turn it off [emoji849]

Well they’ve not technically gone yet ;) Yeah, got a good quote from MPB (after some negotiating) and doubt I’d get much more selling privately so it saves hassle.

didn't realise mpb were open to negotiating on trade-in quotes. they seemed a bit set in stone kinda people lol

I actually did some tests about a 18 months ago as I wasn't sure if it made a difference and I knew I'd forget at some stage.

From the tests I did back then there was no noticeable difference really, I guess different cameras may have different results but it wasn't like using a DSLR and forgetting to turn the lens stabilisation off.

didn't realise mpb were open to negotiating on trade-in quotes. they seemed a bit set in stone kinda people lol

You sort of can, but there is always a caveat of condition, as they could just rank it less than you said it was to knock it back down. In my experience.

You sort of can, but there is always a caveat of condition, as they could just rank it less than you said it was to knock it back down. In my experience.
I’ve negotiated before and they’ve never gone back on it after receiving my lens(es) but I guess it could always happen.

Does it actually make a difference?

The long exposure shots I posted before were on tripod and I never. Thought to turn it off [emoji849]

In theory, it could do. Not likely to be massively noticeable but it could.

I actually did some tests about a 18 months ago as I wasn't sure if it made a difference and I knew I'd forget at some stage.

From the tests I did back then there was no noticeable difference really, I guess different cameras may have different results but it wasn't like using a DSLR and forgetting to turn the lens stabilisation off.

I did have a look at a YT video, seemed to get the same findings as you (y)

In theory, it could do. Not likely to be massively noticeable but it could.

I did have a look at a YT video, seemed to get the same findings as you (y)

Probably best you do your own tests for peace of mind, I did my own tests as I could really find a proper answer back then. I'll be honest if the lens has a switch I'll turn it off otherwise I rarely bother as I'd probably forget to turn it on for when it would come in handy :)

I posted another in the R5 thread, shows a flying gull and a running dog from miles away, worth a look. The R6 AF is exactly the same.

That's pretty impressive, especially with the birds, amazing how quickly Canon have caught up and possibly beating Sony now with eye af.

That's pretty impressive, especially with the birds, amazing how quickly Canon have caught up and possibly beating Sony now with eye af.

In terms of animal Eye AF its way ahead. Havent looked at enough human stuff but again, looks very impressive, especially the distance it acquires from.

I tend to go back to MBP with a clearly higher counteroffer. Usually end up agreeing a higher figure than they originally quote me for. Never had a problem with condition so never been knocked back.

I tend to go back to MBP with a clearly higher counteroffer. Usually end up agreeing a higher figure than they originally quote me for. Never had a problem with condition so never been knocked back.

thanks will try that next time.

he's already done ages ago. why do you think he's being all pro-canon these days :p

I did, however, show me a video of the Sony cams doing a better job at animal eye AF and then youve justified your comment. Badges mean nothing. ;)

One thing I really don’t understand is why have they put a 21mp sensor in the r6?

Even if they have better eye af, they don’t seem better all rounders than the Sony stuff to me.

Last edited:
Back