The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Who knows what this is

n9TAcZy.jpg

A quote from a Sony A7S III tester

We are currently shooting a video with the successor to the A7SII the footage out of this tiny beast is incredible we are shooting 4K 120FPS 10BIT 4:2:2 with 15 stops of dynamic range, our tests showing comparable to an Arri Alexa Mini

Sounds impressive !!

@twist already posted these and yes very impressive.

About time Sony stops resting on their success with reusing their old components.
Canon said they were good at catching up, so far it seems they have more than just catch up.

Why would they be gritty?

Because the individual pixels would show on anything near native resolution. It's one of the things I really hate about the IR images that my D70 produces - even when posted on here I can see the effects of the individual pixels, and it spoils the image.

About time Sony stops resting on their success with reusing their old components.
Canon said they were good at catching up, so far it seems they have more than just catch up.
Oh no I didn't, I'm not allowed.

Because the individual pixels would show on anything near native resolution. It's one of the things I really hate about the IR images that my D70 produces - even when posted on here I can see the effects of the individual pixels, and it spoils the image.
Interesting, I’ve never seen/noticed this before. When you see near native resolution I assume you mean when viewed on a medium capable of showing the full 12mp, so obviously viewing them on a laptop or on websites you’re not going to see this?

Has anyone got the Samyang 75mm? What do you think of it? From what I’ve seen it looks to render very nicely (as most of the new Samyangs do to my eyes) and I’m thinking it might make a lighter travel alternative to the 85mm.

Would just be a travel lens (y) Was thinking of using the 16-35mm as a walkabout rather than the 24-70mm and then having the 75mm for a bit more reach and for ‘portraits’.

Only on the phone at the mo, will have a proper look when back on the computer (y)

The 85 is so light and small plus assignable button plus no decentering plus insane af speed.

The 85 is so light and small plus assignable button plus no decentering plus insane af speed.
Light compared to your siggys yeah ;) You’re forgetting I like m4/3 sizes lenses :LOL:

I have a feeling Sony won't take being outdone at all well. Maybe they will improve it via fw update.

Has anyone got the Samyang 75mm? What do you think of it? From what I’ve seen it looks to render very nicely (as most of the new Samyangs do to my eyes) and I’m thinking it might make a lighter travel alternative to the 85mm.

It’s a P.O.S.

Might as well strap on a milk bottle and use that instead the a.f performance will be fairly similar.

140g difference, are you serious? Think it may be best you retire to a panasonic tz.
Every little helps ;)
It’s a P.O.S.

Might as well strap on a milk bottle and use that instead the a.f performance will be fairly similar.
Yeah I get it, you don’t like Samyangs ;)

If the canon did fast FPS silently then it would be appealing but as far as I have read (correct me if I am wrong) it does not? Therefore for me Sony is still ahead (for my needs).

How are you finding the a7r4 compared to the r3?

It has new AF algorithms i.e. real time AF which seems to make it nicer to use but I haven't noticed a huge lot of difference in terms of AF hit rate. Also while it has animal AF unlike A9 it doesn't have real time animal AF which is bit disappointing which is why I feel they won't improve it via. Fw update. I think the main issue is they are using the same old processor as A7RIII but now it has to process 50% data.

Though I'm quite happy with the increase in resolution without any loss in IQ and dual SD card slots. Whether that was worth the extra £1000 I am not so sure but c'est la vie.

Last edited:
I thought Sony were good at firmware updates?
They been better more recently than in the past.
As I said above while A7RIV has animal eye AF unlike A9 it doesn't have real time animal AF which is bit disappointing which is why I feel they won't improve it via. Fw update. Also it uses the same processor as A7RIII so not sure the hardware is even capable of much more.

They been better more recently than in the past.
As I said above while A7RIV has animal eye AF unlike A9 it doesn't have real time animal AF which is bit disappointing which is why I feel they won't improve it via. Fw update. Also it uses the same processor as A7RIII so not sure the hardware is even capable of much more.
Tbh I still don’t know what the real time AF is :exit:

Edit: So looking into it it’s just Sony jargon for tracking AF, similar to Nikon’s 3D AF. The “real time” terminology was really throwing me ;)

Last edited:
It has new AF algorithms i.e. real time AF which seems to make it nicer to use but I haven't noticed a huge lot of difference in terms of AF hit rate. Also while it has animal AF unlike A9 it doesn't have real time animal AF which is bit disappointing which is why I feel they won't improve it via. Fw update. I think the main issue is they are using the same old sensor as A7RIII but now it has to process 50% data.

Though I'm quite happy with the increase in resolution without any loss in IQ and dual SD card slots. Whether that was worth the extra £1000 I am not so sure but c'est la vie.
How can it be the same sensor when one has many more pixels?

I was looking back through my folders, I still love some of the shots from my 1st digital camera, a Canon G2 @ 4.3MP. I think we all get tied up with being able to zoom in and analyse in detail. My collection of lenses is 80% adapted vintage glass, because the I was inspired to try photography from images I remember growing up that moved me.
It has made me realise that those guys back in the day had real skill...

I have to agree, seems Canon has caught up and some key areas is better than the Sony, ergonomics, build quality, top LCD etc.
If and when I want a ILC Canon could be well in with a shout [emoji851]

Back