The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Wow, that's expensive :thinking:, I wouldn't wanna spend 3 grand on a lens and be at f/7.1 wide open

Screenshot 2020-07-20 at 20.14.42.png

Last edited:
Yep saw that and thought they were crazy.

Maybe Canon think their ISO performance is so fantastic that people will be fine with slow lenses? (Yes 600 & 800 f/11's, I'm looking at you :ROFLMAO:)

Maybe Canon think their ISO performance is so fantastic that people will be fine with slow lenses? (Yes 600 & 800 f/11's, I'm looking at you :ROFLMAO:)

I would never buy those lenses and I fail to see who would. But what do I know, I am sure canon have their market research.

So I did a test tonight taking my A7 III out on bike a ride and it works. I bought a Peak Design strap which is easy to clip on and off the camera when required. No need to splash out on another camera :)

A few shots, all taken the 55mm F1.8

50134737026_b5b3c7228f_b.jpg

50134967337_d4819ab1e7_b.jpg

50134187768_9cb18a7708_b.jpg

I would never buy those lenses and I fail to see who would. But what do I know, I am sure canon have their market research.

Well we are in the UK, a tiny island with crap weather. But feel free to show me a 800mm full frame lens that is small, weighs nothing which has modern optics and AF for £1,000, oh, and has pretty decent animal eye AF.

Last edited:
Well we are in the UK, a tiny island with crap weather. But feel free to show me a 800mm full frame lens that is tiny, weighs nothing which has modern optics and AF for £1,000, oh, and has pretty decent animal eye AF.

They are one of a kind but still wouldn't buy them. Though if I lived elsewhere may be I'd think differently especially of the 800mm but I don't :D

Wow, that's expensive :thinking:, I wouldn't wanna spend 3 grand on a lens and be at f/7.1 wide open
Depends what the image quality is like. These are outdoor lenses so a slow aperture isn’t a show stopper. It’s basically £3k on this or £12k on the same focal length prime :police:
The Sony 200-600 gets great reviews with a similar slow aperture.

I did and the shutter is not fast enough for BiF. Sometimes I need to go 3-4 stops higher which is ISO 6400 which is not not ideal.

Agreed, the aperture is not ideal but as a overall package ( ignoring your own requirements in our dimly lit country ) I think they will sell quite a few.

How often do Sony update lenses? Wondering if it’s likely a new 70-200mm f2.8 will be on the cards, and whether they’ll follow Canon with a lighter version?

How often do Sony update lenses? Wondering if it’s likely a new 70-200mm f2.8 will be on the cards, and whether they’ll follow Canon with a lighter version?
So far in e-mount they haven't updated any lenses yet. Seems like there are still fleshing out their initial line up.
The canon is heavier and larger than tamron 70-180mm.

I really like the look of that Canon and also tamron have done a good job although it doesn't go to 200mm. I'd expect Sony to try something similar and it's a shame that nikon didn't think to. Does feel like a little early to be replacing the lens though?

I'd guess fairly unlikely anytime soon, they praised the current lens for all its tech, from optics to AF, would they throw a ton in R&D when canikon are delivering competing bodies, unlikely.

So far in e-mount they haven't updated any lenses yet. Seems like there are still fleshing out their initial line up.
The canon is heavier and larger than tamron 70-180mm.
I can cope with around 1kg (y)
I really like the look of that Canon and also tamron have done a good job although it doesn't go to 200mm. I'd expect Sony to try something similar and it's a shame that nikon didn't think to. Does feel like a little early to be replacing the lens though?
TBH I don’t know how long the Sony GM has been out.

I'd guess fairly unlikely anytime soon, they praised the current lens for all its tech, from optics to AF, would they throw a ton in R&D when canikon are delivering competing bodies, unlikely.
Canon releasing a version of the lens 2/3 the weight could make them think about it tbh. Canon are making competitive bodies, and then if the start making equivalent lenses lighter Sony will likely see a downturn in sales I’d have thought.

Last edited:
The 70-200mm was one of the originals of the GM line up along with 24-70mm and 85mm GM.

Believe me 200gm is noticeable lol
Deffo noticeable but I was OK with the Panny 100-400mm (y)

Canon releasing a version of the lens 2/3 the weight could make them think about it tbh. Canon are making competitive bodies, and then if the start making equivalent lenses lighter Sony will likely see a downturn in sales I’d have thought.

They will and they will, eventually, but Sonys way is cameras first, lenses second. Always has been. You should know that.

Last edited:
They will, eventually, but Sonys way is cameras first, lenses second. Always has been. You should know that.
I know they seem to have a new body coming out every month ;)

I know they seem to have a new body coming out every month ;)

Theyve slowed down at the upper end, I think it appears that way because they have every base covered, from phones, compacts through full frame. It's pretty clever to offer something for everyone.

I don’t they will. No need to when it’s still popular and selling well. It’s a superb lens so I think it won’t be replaced anytime soon (IMO).

So, the Nikon Z5 is very cheap.

Camera, kit lens and FTZ adapter £1859.

• 24.3МР СМОЅ FХ-Fоrmаt Ѕеnѕоr
  • А lіghtwеіght аnd wеаthеr-ѕеаlеd bоdу
  • 4К Vіdео Fооtаgе Сарturе
  • Аn ІЅО rаngе frоm 100-51200
  • 5-Ахіѕ Іn-Саmеrа VR Іmаgе Ѕtаbіlіѕаtіоn
  • Ѕhооt аt 5 tіmеѕ ѕlоwеr ѕhuttеr ѕрееdѕ
  • 273-Роіnt Нуbrіd Аutоfосuѕ іѕ fаѕt аnd ассurаtе
  • Рrесіѕе Еуе аnd Аnіmаl-dеtесt АF
  • Ѕuреr-Ѕhаrр 3690k-dоt ЕVF wіth rеаl-tіmе ѕtаtѕ
  • Сhаrgе/роwеr уоur саmеrа vіа UЅВ-С роrt
  • 3.2-Іnсh tіltіng tоuсhѕсrееn mоnіtоr
  • Duаl UЅН-ІІ ЅD саrd ѕlоtѕ
  • WіFі аnd Вluеtооth Соnnесtіоn
  • Uѕе Nіkоn F lеnѕеѕ wіth thе Nіkоn Моunt Аdарtеr FТZ

Last edited:
So, the Nikon Z5 is very cheap.

Camera, kit lens and FTZ adapter £1859.

• 24.3МР СМОЅ FХ-Fоrmаt Ѕеnѕоr
  • А lіghtwеіght аnd wеаthеr-ѕеаlеd bоdу
  • 4К Vіdео Fооtаgе Сарturе
  • Аn ІЅО rаngе frоm 100-51200
  • 5-Ахіѕ Іn-Саmеrа VR Іmаgе Ѕtаbіlіѕаtіоn
  • Ѕhооt аt 5 tіmеѕ ѕlоwеr ѕhuttеr ѕрееdѕ
  • 273-Роіnt Нуbrіd Аutоfосuѕ іѕ fаѕt аnd ассurаtе
  • Рrесіѕе Еуе аnd Аnіmаl-dеtесt АF
  • Ѕuреr-Ѕhаrр 3690k-dоt ЕVF wіth rеаl-tіmе ѕtаtѕ
  • Сhаrgе/роwеr уоur саmеrа vіа UЅВ-С роrt
  • 3.2-Іnсh tіltіng tоuсhѕсrееn mоnіtоr
  • Duаl UЅН-ІІ ЅD саrd ѕlоtѕ
  • WіFі аnd Вluеtооth Соnnесtіоn
  • Uѕе Nіkоn F lеnѕеѕ wіth thе Nіkоn Моunt Аdарtеr FТZ

While I appreciate cheaper FF cameras this is what Z6 should have been on the first place 2 years ago. 2 years on all they do is re-release Z6.
It's not even smaller.

And what lens so they release with it, a slow variable aperture kit lens. Last time I saw a 24-50 was in Minolta days lol (even that lens was small with constant f4).
Even Olympus who are being sold is making a bigger splash on lenses.

No thanks

Last edited:
While I appreciate cheaper FF cameras this is what Z6 should have been on the first place 2 years ago. 2 years on all they do is re-release Z6.
It's not even smaller.

And what lens so they release with it, a slow variable aperture kit lens. Last time I saw a 24-50 was in Minolta days lol (even that lens was small with constant f4).

No thanks

No, the rerelased Z6 and Z7 are apparently coming! I think its a pretty decent launch price for the spec, itll drop and grey will be cheaper.

Its a cheap setup that will compete with the ever increasing prices of the APSC offerings on the market. Im surprised Sony is so late to the party with a cheap, modern FF, instead relying on their aging previous models to trickle down. How is the A7 still current @ £900 body only.

Last edited:
No, the rerelased Z6 and Z7 are apparently coming! I think its a pretty decent launch price for the spec, itll drop and grey will be cheaper.
:ROFLMAO:
that doesn't really make things better.
I always thought Nikon would catchup first over canon but looks like I was wrong.

Its a cheap setup that will compete with the ever increasing prices of the APSC offerings on the market. Im surprised Sony is so late to the party with a cheap, modern FF, instead relying on their aging previous models to trickle down. How is the A7 still current @ £900 body only.

No one really buys A7 for £900 though. Its like their 16-50 kit lens which was priced at £259 or something which no one would pay in reality.

I don't see the anything wrong with older models acting as cheaper versions. Z5 is basically an older model with a new name and extra card slot. It's no different and no more modern than older bodies. they might as well have reduced the price of Z6 instead IMO. This is a pointless release.

It's not even smaller.

No thanks
I agree with you on this. Nikon are starting to struggle financially and if they want to interest people in their camera systems then they need to do more than just meet the basic level. The kit lens with this should have been blowing the competition away.

:ROFLMAO:
that doesn't really make things better.
I always thought Nikon would catchup first over canon but looks like I was wrong.

No one really buys A7 for £900 though. Its like their 16-50 kit lens which was priced at £259 or something which no one would pay in reality.

I don't see the anything wrong with older models acting as cheaper versions. Z5 is basically an older model with a new name and extra card slot. It's no different and no more modern than older bodies. they might as well have reduced the price of Z6 instead IMO. This is a pointless release.

I think the rereleased z6/z7 will annoy current z6/z7 owners, especially those that paid top prices.

Z5 is a newer more consumer friendly offering with decent features, you and I can agree that the z6 is far more sensible but the general consumer that walks into currys will probably buy the Z5. Its cheap to manufacture (which Nikon needs) and as you pointed out the lens isnt the best, but again, its small and light, which makes the package smaller and lighter and more attractive to its target audience.

Last edited:
I think the rereleased z6/z7 will annoy current z6/z7 owners, especially those that paid top prices.

Z5 is a newer more consumer friendly offering with decent features, you and I can agree that the z6 is far more sensible but the general consumer that walks into currys will probably buy the Z5. Its cheap to manufacture (which Nikon needs) and as you pointed out the lens isnt the best, but again, its small and light, which makes the package smaller and lighter and more attractive to its target audience.

for nikons sake I hope you are right. But I just don't see it. Because the days where people walked into curry or dixon or jessops or whatever and walked out with a rebel+kit lets they used in liveview like their phones are mostly gone. People (good majority I mean, I am sure there will be exceptions) buying >£1000 bodies will be slightly more clued up.

Lastly I think an electronics company inc. cameras really need inspire the early adopters and early reviewers who make things a success. The professionals and the rest only come later. Professionals and mass didn't look at sony seriously till A7III but early adopters like myself and others who bought into it liked what they were doing. I liked the idea of owning the first small FF mirrorless body i.e. A7 even though it was pretty much in every way inferior to DSLRs.

R5 also has something special (even though i don't care for video specs), amazing eyeAF, tracking, lens selections (even though I can't afford half of them) all are very inspiring for me to buy into. I guess that why nikon made the Noct but that thing is crazy unlike RF lenses lol.

for nikons sake I hope you are right. But I just don't see it. Because the days where people walked into curry or dixon or jessops or whatever and walked out with a rebel+kit lets they used in liveview like their phones are mostly gone. People (good majority I mean, I am sure there will be exceptions) buying >£1000 bodies will be slightly more clued up.

Lastly I think an electronics company inc. cameras really need inspire the early adopters and early reviewers who make things a success. The professionals and the rest only come later. Professionals and mass didn't look at sony seriously till A7III but early adopters like myself and others who bought into it liked what they were doing. I liked the idea of owning the first small FF mirrorless body i.e. A7 even though it was pretty much in every way inferior to DSLRs.

R5 also has something special (even though i don't care for video specs), amazing eyeAF, tracking, lens selections (even though I can't afford half of them) all are very inspiring for me to buy into. I guess that why nikon made the Noct but that thing is crazy unlike RF lenses lol.

I think the other issue for Nikon is the RP, £1350 including EF adapter and a much better 24-105mm STM lens.

Last edited:
Back