The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

You might need to change your feelings towards articulating screens as it looks like it'll be the new norm for new releases.

I wasn't keen on the idea, but since using one for the last 6 months I have to say I'm converted and love it.

Unfortunate if that is to be the case, I much prefer a tilt out screen, I don't do video , and if I did it wouldn't be vlogging so a flip out LCD is wasted on me. I find them annoying tbh, had one on the G80 for over a year and it near drove me mad at times. It's not practical for say, macro photography where you really want to be straight on to your subject, nailing focus with such a narrow DOF is tricky enough - you're often one hand shooting too if you use an off cam flash like I do. The LCD out to the side is just in the way, makes it really awkward. You can of course just leave it static but very often for macro you need that tilt out, I think Fuji has about the best type [at least for photography] as you get the tilt out for vertical also

Last edited:
Just back from today's wedding, these little mini covid weddings are the ticket, arrive 30 minutes before the ceremony and home before dinner. :cool:
Are they paying you the same amount or less?
Conversely are you charging the same amount?
(p.s. no intention of judging you or your business model, just simply interested how folks are doing)

Are they paying you the same amount or less?
Conversely are you charging the same amount?
(p.s. no intention of judging you or your business model, just simply interested how folks are doing)

Because we are fully booked and then some for next year, I put the prices up a while back.

This one was originally supposed to be in March but they cancelled just before weddings were banned as they were concerned about their jobs with the whole corona thing. They then changed their mind about a month or so ago and rebooked with us, because of the price change they paid about £100 less than they would have paid previously for a normal 11/12 hour day.

We set up packages just for the Corona weddings for just ceremony and portraits.

Last edited:
Because we are fully booked for next year, I put the prices up a while back.

This one was originally supposed to be in March but they cancelled just before weddings were banned as they were concerned about their jobs with the whole corona thing. They then changed their mind about a month or so ago and rebooked with us, because of the price change they paid about £100 less than they would have paid previously for a normal 11/12 hour day.

We set up packages just for the Corona weddings for just ceremony and portraits.

That's good, hopefully won't cause a huge loss, well not much more than it's already done!!

Unfortunate if that is to be the case, I much prefer a tilt out screen, I don't do video , and if I did it wouldn't be vlogging so a flip out LCD is wasted on me. I find them annoying tbh, had one on the G80 for over a year and it near drove me mad at times. It's not practical for say, macro photography where you really want to be straight on to your subject, nailing focus with such a narrow DOF is tricky enough - you're often one hand shooting too if you use an off cam flash like I do. The LCD out to the side is just in the way, makes it really awkward. You can of course just leave it static but very often for macro you need that tilt out, I think Fuji has about the best type [at least for photography] as you get the tilt out for vertical also

The thing is I think fuji will continue with articulating screen now the Xt4 has it. Certainly I think the xh2 will. Perhaps not the pro line xe cameras.

That's good, hopefully won't cause a huge loss, well not much more than it's already done!!

We are in an okay place we were lucky enough to have been sensible with building up a rainy day fund for anything going wrong, we also managed to pick up some commercial work that we normally wouldn't have bothered with and that along with the 2 government self employment hand outs will help keep us a float this year. If everything goes as planned next year will be very busy we have taken way more bookings than we really should have. It isn't a given though that all will be well as we have already moved 2 weddings to 2022 for couples who were concerned that social distancing would still affect the amount of guests they can have.

I would love to see some of your work, I just realised I’ve never seen a single photo.

Was that for me?

I have posted a few images in this thread and in other threads on here, you must have missed them.

I can send you a link by pm if you want to have a nosey at our website? I am reluctant to post links on the forum as I once had someone here threaten to leave a bad review for my business because of a little argument on here.

The thing is I think fuji will continue with articulating screen now the Xt4 has it. Certainly I think the xh2 will. Perhaps not the pro line xe cameras.

That's actually the one thing I would dislike on the T4 - you're probably right, if there is a H2 it'll no doubt have a flappy LCD too. I could learn to live with it, but would just prefer the previous tilt type. Pity they can't give the option somehow

More old lens talk.

I couldn't leave the house today but I managed a few minutes in the garden and the toy I chose to take with me mounted on my A7 was my Nippon Kogaku 35mm f2.8. It's a nice lens. There's vignetting and the bokeh is a bit funky at f2.8 but it is sharp enough from wide open and surprisingly sharp stopped down. These pictures will look less sharp here.

8YCGrdd.jpg

And you can go all old timie and zone focus.

RfrYYts.jpg

I posted this in another thread but I thought I'd post it here too just in case like me you peeps have never seen a tomato flower :D

E4Bjt47.jpg

100% from that to see the teeny tiny flower.

1QtFLcR.jpg

66.67% crop at just about minimum focus distance. I'll have to try this with a close up filter.

niICDr7.jpg

One last one.

LTyZtVP.jpg

It really is a lovely old lens and built like a tank. If you view f2.8 as for emergency use or put up with the nervous bokeh with some scenes it could be your general purpose 35mm lens, as could any of my old 35mm lenses :D

And a PS.
I have Novoflex adapters for my Minolta, Canon and Olympus lenses but they're £90+ each so with these old Nippons I went for a cheap K&F Concept.

Last edited:
Fred Miranda compares the 35mm f1.2 SE to the 40mm f1.2 e mount and 35mm f1.2 III VM and there are also some sample pictures.

It's interesting that the new 35mm f1.2 seems to be a bit better than the 40mm f1.2. I think the corners on all these could be better though but I don't think they're optimised for sharpness into the corners. The 50mm f2 APO Lanthar is excellent and would be the Voigtlander to go for (together with the 65mm f2) if you want sharpness into the corners.

PS.
For comparison here's the Sony 35mm f1.8 which is sharp into the corners from f1.8...

Last edited:
I thought that the Voigtlanders were designed as dual purpose, wide open they look like old film lenses and stopped down they behave like modern glass?
With my collection of old manual primes, I'm guessing clinical sharpness is not a characteristic I look for in a lens :D:D

I have the 35mm f1.4, 40mm f1.2 and 50mm f2 Sony mount ones which are mostly more modern designs. The 35mm f1.4 classic is the wildest at wide apertures but is nice stopped down, the 40mm f1.2 (and the 50mm f1.2 which I don't have) give a much more modern look and the 50mm f2 is simply excellent. I think they're maybe aimed more towards being compact lenses for something like half to full body portraits and nice bokeh than being sharp into the corner landscape lenses.

Last edited:
Took the 16-35mm f4 out fir the first time today, got to say I’m pretty impressed. It’s very sharp (I shot at f11) and has noticeably better corners than the Nikon 18-35mm I had before. Also 16mm is wiiiiiiide, wasn’t expecting that much difference from 18mm to 16mm.

Took the 16-35mm f4 out fir the first time today, got to say I’m pretty impressed. It’s very sharp (I shot at f11) and has noticeably better corners than the Nikon 18-35mm I had before. Also 16mm is wiiiiiiide, wasn’t expecting that much difference from 18mm to 16mm.

Every 1mm matters at UWA end.
That's why I was so excited Z14-30. Great idea and I'd much prefer to a 16-35mm. too bad wide open performance isn't great. :(

That's why I was so excited Z14-30. Great idea and I'd much prefer to a 16-35mm. too bad wide open performance isn't great. :(
Yeah I know mm make more of a difference at the wide end, still was a bit of a surprise to see how much though.

While I lub me some ultra-wide*, I find a 35mm 'long' end makes the lens usable for walk-abouts in town. 30mm may be just a touch too wide for that use IMO, although modern FF cameras crop so well that it may not matter too much if it's really sharp.

*I tried using the Sigma 12-24 as a walk-about lens. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I was recently shooting low down with the screen tilted on the A9. It was ok for landscape orientation but it useless for portrait. It was the reason it didn’t take a portrait image that evening.

If it was an articulating screen it would work well in portrait but the hinge would have to be at the side to tilt for landscapes. I don’t think there is a way around providing tilt in both landscape and portrait without a side hinge.

While I lub me some ultra-wide*, I find a 35mm 'long' end makes the lens usable for walk-abouts in town. 30mm may be just a touch too wide for that use IMO, although modern FF cameras crop so well that it may not matter too much if it's really sharp.

Exactly if the lens was sharp at 30mm then with current high res sensors it's not a big issue.

Think I have learned that a UWA zoom doesn't work as a walk around zoom for me. 24-105mm is my work horse for that.

I was recently shooting low down with the screen tilted on the A9. It was ok for landscape orientation but it useless for portrait. It was the reason it didn’t take a portrait image that evening.

If it was an articulating screen it would work well in portrait but the hinge would have to be at the side to tilt for landscapes. I don’t think there is a way around providing tilt in both landscape and portrait without a side hinge.
*cough* Sony A77 type screen *cough* ;)

As mentioned above A77 and A99 does that without side hinge.
IMO they have the best articulating screens. I haven't seen anything else that matches that.

I have an old a77 Mk2, which I still use a with a 105mm Macro lens ( Sigma) It performs well and the screen flexibility is perfect for what I use this camera for :)

Les

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree.
On my A900 I had the A Mount Sigma 12-24, and switched it for a CZ 16-35 - I only occasionally feel I need / want wider then 16, and having 25-35 means much less switching to the 24-70.

I agree.
On my A900 I had the A Mount Sigma 12-24, and switched it for a CZ 16-35 - I only occasionally feel I need / want wider then 16, and having 25-35 means much less switching to the 24-70.

which is why.a Z 14-30mm or even the RF 15-35 are kinda nicer options. Wider without loosing much at the long end.

which is why.a Z 14-30mm or even the RF 15-35 are kinda nicer options. Wider without loosing much at the long end.
I’d get more use out of the 35mm than 14mm tbh, but it’s great we have choice. The 35mm becomes a 52.5mm in crop mode on my R4 meaning that I could probably get away with the 16-35mm as a walkabout/travel lens rather than the 24-70mm.

The old Sigma 12-24mm I had for my Canon DSLR's was IMO an outstanding lens and for a while was my most used lens. I'd love another lens like that at some point but at the mo I just don't get enough free time to justify spending what something like that would cost.

Last edited:
That Comet!

I'd seen so many images, I wasn't that bothered in all honesty. But my boy wanted to see it & try to photograph it so he stayed with me in the evening & we went out just as it got dark. In all honesty, it was great to be out because it's been a good year since we done any night sky stuff. I would have been happy with just one image. He was okay, schools finished. I had work the next morning though!

by Lee, on Flickr

I've looked out every night but we've always had complete cloud cover.

That Comet!

I'd seen so many images, I wasn't that bothered in all honesty. But my boy wanted to see it & try to photograph it so he stayed with me in the evening & we went out just as it got dark. In all honesty, it was great to be out because it's been a good year since we done any night sky stuff. I would have been happy with just one image. He was okay, schools finished. I had work the next morning though!

by Lee, on Flickr

Nice one Lee.

That's a cracker.

That Comet!

by Lee, on Flickr

nice work Lee.

On the front of the A7Siii is something extra than just the AF illumination.

Maybe some kind of new focusing assistant? Maybe the laser or depth finder like on phones?

Might be something interesting, the EVF looks huge as well.

Also has a new menu system.

116425927_3141271709327610_5771286224802909330_n.jpg
SonyA7sIII-2.png
a7siimenu.jpg

Completely new menu with full touch support. :oops: :$

• The smallest rolling shutter effect in the world.
  • Huge viewfinder with the ability to reduce the field of view of images, for people wearing glasses.
  • The 16-bit raw info applies to recording in movie mode (and not just photos) to an external recorder.
  • The Sony a7siii will have a passive cooling heat sink type system probably made of aluminum (copper, alloy or stainless steel are other options) similar to those used in the Raspberry Pi B board.

Last edited:
Back