The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Sounds impressive. I just use my iphone for video :LOL:

+ I'm no Spielberg but the geek in me is impressed by how much cameras are improving year on year in both the stills and video department. Actually that applies to all technology, things are moving so quickly. Cpu power efficency, gpus, consoles, display tech, cameras, speakers, electric vehicles etc etc etc.

Last edited:
It’s a video camera it was never going to be any higher res than 12 mph.

As for the EVF this is brand new tech not yet available with any other manufacturer. It likely wasn’t ready for the A9II or the A7RIV.

It was never always going to be 12MP, it could have been more as originally rumoured to shoot 8K or whatever. Now we know it is "just" a 4K the 12MP makes some sense but equally disappointing for those who wanted a more hybrid option.

I get that the EVF is new, just annoyed that it's going to be pretty much wasted on this camera. Ohh well at least there's hope it may be in the A7RV.

Pretty much everything confirmed now for the A7s III
- New menu system
- The official press statement with full specs
- The official images of the camera
- The price

Last edited:
Is anyone here interested in the A7SIII? I have the mk2 which I bought purely for video as I was amazed at the high iso video quality from samples but I've not been getting on well with it which I suspect is mostly me however also surprised in a video focused round up it didn't score well:

I'm very much a stills person but I see the value in video so I wanted to force myself to use it with the A7SII but at the moment I feel like going back to just using the phone especially given the Osmo Mobile 3 is a lot more portable than the A7SII and Ronin-SC.

A7SIII @ 1:1

PixelatedDiCaprio.jpg

It was never always going to be 12MP, it could have been more as originally rumoured to shoot 8K or whatever. Now we know it is "just" a 4K the 12MP makes some sense but equally disappointing for those who wanted a more hybrid option.

I get that the EVF is new, just annoyed that it's going to be pretty much wasted on this camera. Ohh well at least there's hope it may be in the A7RV.
I’ll be interested in the new EVF, I hope it’s an improvement on the R4, still disappoints me that you get some rainbow artefacts and also slight graininess when you half press the shutter.

The tamron 28-200mm seems to be reviewing rather well. Perhaps that's the way to go with an A7III for example.

I have also listed my travel lenses in sales :(
I know they won't be used for a while now.

Next to go will be my telephoto 200-600mm but that'd be a very sad day should it come to that.
Come the autumn I will be back out again for wildlife and a (hopefully) a week in the lakes.

For me it’s not really lockdown that’s the cause, photography wise I’ve socially distanced for years. I’m not one to head to places where there are lots of other people. It just feels like I’m out as frequent as I was a few years back. I guess I don’t have the same love for photography as I previously had. I’d still like to dabble but maybe not with thousands of pounds worth of kit sitting in the cupboard. The only problem is it’s easier to step up than it is to step down, but that’s probably more in my head than anything.

The biggest prints I've ever had made (two of which live on my walls, a third was sold) were from D50 and D90 files (6 and 12mp respectively). I've also just looked back at some of my 5D Classic files and they are bloomin' gorgeous.

I applaud the tech guys at Sony winning out over the marketing guys, it shows focus. Sony have 3 separate full-frame lines going, there is no need to give any concessions to stills shooters with the a7III.

What does that mean in English? ;)

Edit: just read on pixel binning. Surely the Canon approach is better isn’t it, giving a high mp stills camera and then just as good noise handling via pixel binning for video?

If they could control the heat then yes. But they haven't managed to do that. So Sony have taken a more measured approach. Which limits its appeal to photographers. Which is fine as if you are mainly a photographer you'd lean towards other three cameras.

Twist is just being mega pendantic. I mean the fact I can put my seats down in my car and shove a load of crap in the back, doesn't turn it into a hybrid van.

If they could control the heat then yes. But they haven't managed to do that. So Sony have taken a more measured approach. Which limits its appeal to photographers. Which is fine as if you are mainly a photographer you'd lean towards other three cameras.

Twist is just being mega pendantic. I mean the fact I can put my seats down in my car and shove a load of crap in the back, doesn't turn it into a hybrid van.
What's 'odd' with all this is how we're 'brainwashed' into thinking 12mp isn't enough for stills, for a lot of people 12mp is more than enough, in fact roughly 4mp more than you need for viewing on a 4k TV. I like a high mp camera as I crop a lot to enable me to use smaller telephotos, but the vast majority of my images are actually exported as 2000 x 1333 pixels for Flickr.

What's 'odd' with all this is how we're 'brainwashed' into thinking 12mp isn't enough for stills, for a lot of people 12mp is more than enough, in fact roughly 4mp more than you need for viewing on a 4k TV. I like a high mp camera as I crop a lot to enable me to use smaller telephotos, but the vast majority of my images are actually exported as 2000 x 1333 pixels for Flickr.

I export all my professional and personal images to 3600px along the long edge - so they end up around the 10-12MP mark.

For low light events and for e.g. indoor orchestra where I have to use a 100-400mm 4-5.6 lens the A7SIII could be pretty sweet.

When it comes to shooting sport, cropping helps a lot and for that 12MP does not seem ideal.

I export all my professional and personal images to 3600px along the long edge - so they end up around the 10-12MP mark.

For low light events and for e.g. indoor orchestra where I have to use a 100-400mm 4-5.6 lens the A7SIII could be pretty sweet.

When it comes to shooting sport, cropping helps a lot and for that 12MP does not seem ideal.
Nope, definitely no sports cam (y)

The B&H A7SIII video says that the readout is 'twice the readout speed of a conventional sensor' @ 1:15min

According to one source.

1/40th for the Sony A7iii / A7Riii / Nikon Z6 / Z7 / EOS R
1/160th for A9

So the B&H video suggests the A7S III readout may be about 1/80th

Sony must be confused.

Last edited:
Why do you come on here to just slag off Sony? If you dislike them so much, vacate the thread. There is a canon thread.

Why do you always have a pop at me, others are also talking about these cameras and they are Sony shooters. People will talk about new models, get over it.

Because every time I come on this thread I see you banging on about things that are wrong with Sony. Only a few months ago you were talking about how good they were, now you don't use the brand you come back to tell us all how bad they are.

Talk about new models, I've seen you mention 12mp about 5 times, it's boring.

Yes, because they are excellent but no camera is perfect. Every time you post something its because youre upset someone has said something about Sony. It gets boring. f2.8 posted a humorous image, I responded, its a joke, no need to cry about it and I dont see you specifically responding to others about their comments about Sony or telling others to vacate when they mention other brands in the thread. Which means you specifically an issue with me.

Last edited:
Plenty of lower mp cameras don't pixel bin.
Plenty do.

I dont count cropping the video as ok.

I am talking about recording the full width and height of the frame and leaving it as that.

12mp IS WHAT you need to do that, or 40+mp for 8k.

Anyways check this out!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyNh29w0w_U

Sony have hit a home run!! This is the perfect video camera for a one man band/youtuber/student hands down!

They have literally addressed every single thing about the a7s and beyond.

• 10bit recording 4k? Yuep
  • 4.2.2 bitrate. yessire
  • Full size hdmi? u damm right.
  • 60+fps at 4k, na we can d 120 4k instead
  • no crop no pixel bining, u damm right
  • AF of the A9 in video mode. sure.
  • tiltly flippy screen: your wish is my command
  • New Menu system and/or fully touch menu? Sure , here ya go
  • Faster card media? Well sure but we will throw in an extra surprise and just create a new CF express card format that is the same size as an SD so you can use either an SD card or the new CF express card when your budget allows ;) on both slots :)

I mean wow this is a dream camera and i cant wait to watch camera consipracy's last ever youtube video he will post about this and retire..

The camera is not for me though, Not right now anyway but this is sensational and much better video camera than the r5 or r6 especially if this camera does not overheat

Yes, because they are excellent but no camera is perfect. Every time you post something its because youre upset someone has said something about Sony. It gets boring. f2.8 posted a humorous image, I responded, its a joke, no need to cry about it and I dont see you specifically responding to others about their comments about Sony or telling others to vacate when they mention other brands in the thread. Which means you specifically an issue with me.
bro.

read my above post, despite it being such an awsome camera, its not for me and definetly not for you!

So you have to come and remind everyone constantly they aren't perfect? That's a bit sad isn't it.

The issue is you come on the thread to wind people up, nothing else.

Last time I commented about the thread losing its way and it got a load of likes was the truth. Thanks to the petty arguments presented constantly it's just become some tit for tat camera brand frenzy. No wonder it's the same 10 or so members commenting and virtually no new users that are interested in Sony.

But you crack on telling everyone what's wrong with Sony (y)

Not really, perhaps you are to sensitive and you only like comments that supposedly slag off other brands. We all talk about the other brands and joke about each others cameras.

bro.

read my above post, despite it being such an awsome camera, its not for me and definetly not for you!

Of course its going to be great, I never argued that, everything Sony has made since the A6400/A7rii is great but it is nice to see everybody else (finally) trying catch up or outperform in certain areas.

But I am not going lie, we do seem to discuss a lot more off-topic things (i.e. non-Sony MILC things) on this thread than other brand threads seem to do IMO.
I don't mind that tbh but obviously some others do and I don't blame them either.

but the title does say "Anything else welcome Mega Thread!" which other brand thread don't welcome ;)

Last edited:
Plenty do.

I dont count cropping the video as ok.

I am talking about recording the full width and height of the frame and leaving it as that.

12mp IS WHAT you need to do that, or 40+mp for 8k.

Anyways check this out!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyNh29w0w_U

Sony have hit a home run!! This is the perfect video camera for a one man band/youtuber/student hands down!

They have literally addressed every single thing about the a7s and beyond.

• 10bit recording 4k? Yuep
  • 4.2.2 bitrate. yessire
  • Full size hdmi? u damm right.
  • 60+fps at 4k, na we can d 120 4k instead
  • no crop no pixel bining, u damm right
  • AF of the A9 in video mode. sure.
  • tiltly flippy screen: your wish is my command
  • New Menu system and/or fully touch menu? Sure , here ya go
  • Faster card media? Well sure but we will throw in an extra surprise and just create a new CF express card format that is the same size as an SD so you can use either an SD card or the new CF express card when your budget allows ;) on both slots :)

I mean wow this is a dream camera and i cant wait to watch camera consipracy's last ever youtube video he will post about this and retire..

The camera is not for me though, Not right now anyway but this is sensational and much better video camera than the r5 or r6 especially if this camera does not overheat

Agree, this is an incredible video camera.

If I shot video I would be all over this, but I don't.

The new menu looks actually okay and might be useful although I haven't liked touch menus in other cameras, but pinch to zoom etc I do like, the new high speed cards are definitely interesting and touch for a.f looks better. Hopefully some of these will trickle through to other releases.

Agree, this is an incredible video camera.

If I shot video I would be all over this, but I don't.

The new menu looks actually okay and might be useful although I haven't liked touch menus in other cameras, but pinch to zoom etc I do like, the new high speed cards are definitely interesting and touch for a.f looks better. Hopefully some of these will trickle through to other releases.

Yeah, the menu definitely looks better in the newer photo above because the sub menu slides over the main instead of sitting next to it. Sony have become very good in terms of trickle down so I think we can be confident something like the IV will have the better touch screen.

Yeah, the menu definitely looks better in the newer photo above because the sub menu slides over the main instead of sitting next to it. Sony have become very good in terms of trickle down so I think we can be confident something like the IV will have the better touch screen.
I am somewhat hoping they'll firmware update A7RIV too to add full touchscreen functionality (assuming that's actually possible with the current hardware).

But I am not going lie, we do seem to discuss a lot more off-topic things (i.e. non-Sony MILC things) on this thread than other brand threads seem to do IMO.
I don't mind that tbh but obviously some others do and I don't blame them either.

but the title does say "Anything else welcome Mega Thread!" which other brand thread don't welcome ;)

I consider that to be part of the charm of the thread, sometimes it goes off on a tangent and we are talking about completely random things, its why its at 1,681 pages strong. The thread would never be as popular or large if we only stuck to the topic.

I consider that to be part of the charm of the thread, sometimes it goes off on a tangent and we are talking about completely random things, its why its at 1,681 pages strong. The thread would never be as popular or large if we only stuck to the topic.

You and me both.
But some folks don't and I understand their PoV also.

Can you touch drag focus with the riv?

yep you can even double tap to zoom in on the picture in preview and use it to move the zoom window across the picture in preview. no pinch functionality though.

But basically the hardware seems capable of handling touchscreen menus! its not rocket science in 2020. how many years have sony been making touch phones again?

yep you can even double tap to zoom in on the picture in preview and use it to move the zoom window across the picture in preview. no pinch functionality though.

But basically the hardware seems capable of handling touchscreen menus! its not rocket science in 2020. how many years have sony been making touch phones again?

The hardware is definitely capable then. Maybe the processor cant handle the additional calculations in combination with those fat files.

I am somewhat hoping they'll firmware update A7RIV too to add full touchscreen functionality (assuming that's actually possible with the current hardware).

the following comments may seem to be negative towards Sony which some readers may find offensive :police:

I reckon this will be saved as upgrade features for the new bodies. sony haven't address the focus box colour change option like they did in fw with the a9. i just can't see them being that generous to add a full touchscreen via a free update.

using the full touch screen does make things so much quicker. its frustrating its been around so long but ignored for so long. i remember using it on my nikon d5500 4 years ago and thinking how nice it would be on my other cameras. to deliberately hold it back and only start adding it in 2020/2021 is poor and cheap.

Back