The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Because i swear to god you yourself said you only care about stills..

Maybe times have changed and you now care a bit more about video but what video?

What resoution? What are you filming?

Are you producing mini film snippets with actors and actresses? Are you vlogging yourself on daily stuff? Are you filming reportage work?

Are you filming for the press?

All of these things need to be asked so you can assest what tool is right for you.

I now assume that posisbly the A73 did not have the video tools you needed at the time?

Perhaps youre thinking of someone else, I am predominantly a stills shooter and that is my preference but I also shoot video, I dont call myself a videographer because I am not predominantly a video shooter.

Jonney, I know how to assess my requirements. I switch because I enjoy using different gear and new tech that suits my requirements at that point in time.

Again, how do you know my shooting habits, I can easily take over 1,500 shots in a day at a show and when did I say its not an issue? I asked the amount of stills it can shoot on a charge. Youre making a lot of assumptions here about my camera usage and preference. What do I need to deal with specifically? I know all cameras have flaws, Ive used enough of them to have figured that out.

The A7mk3 was a great camera, I got the itch bought the A9, which again was bloody incredible but overkill especially as at the time I started shooting less due to work commitments, in hindsight I couldve kept the mk3 and saved some hassle.
Tell us your shooting habits then :)

So correct me if i am wrong, you got the canon because of two reasons:

1. you already got rid of the a7mk3?
2. the A9 was overkill

Tell us your shooting habits then :)

So correct me if i am wrong, you got the canon because of two reasons:

1. you already got rid of the a7mk3?
2. the A9 was overkill

Why do I need to explain things so you can understand, you dont need to assess my requirements or you would be paying for my cameras. Youre very welcome to.

Partly but also, I wanted to try something new, shooting had slowed down, EF adapted performance was a big motivator.

Last edited:
Not sure rumour site posted any dreamed up specs at least for A7Siii anyway. 12mp is simply a bit disappoint for a hybrid. no matter how much anyone tries to convince me its a video camera, it does look like one, seem like one, handle like one. Its a hybrid, you just need to look at the mode dial to realise that :p

There were plenty floating about over the years before the specs were pretty much confirmed.

Stacked sensor(24/36mp), global shutter, internal fan.

As much as we now expect higher MP I still think some of my best images were from my d700. The original 5d still has a cult following also at 12mp

It's a dull overcast day here and it looks like rain but I may be able to go to the park as I need to take my car in as the exhaust is blowing and the park is just 10 minutes walk away :D

I'd love to take some pictures... just so I could post them here and break up this endless Canon v Sony talk :D

Someone must have some pictures????

It's a dull overcast day here and it looks like rain but I may be able to go to the park as I need to take my car in as the exhaust is blowing and the park is just 10 minutes walk away :D

I'd love to take some pictures... just so I could post them here and break up this endless Canon v Sony talk :D

Here you go, Himeji Castle.

wwxdHdx.jpg

Irida shoot chosen ones (10 of 70).jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

purpleport_shoot-1542.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

Will these help @woof woof ?

Anything that keeps my mind off the Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 will help.

Ha ha, love that youre having gas.

I'm tempted as I'd like a really good modern manual 35mm lens. I have the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 and it is good stopped down but at f1.4-maybe f2 its rendering with some scenes is best described as "classic" The f1.2 may well be more modern in rendering but the corners still look poor which I suppose is one of the prices to pay for the compact size and rendering at half to full body distance which I'd guess is what it's biased towards. I can't really fault the 50mm f2 apo lanthar and choosing between this new 35mm f1.2 and any future 35mm f2 apo lanthar would be interesting.

The plan was to buy modern manual lenses and sell off most of the film era stuff but so far I've hung onto it.

I'm tempted as I'd like a really good modern manual 35mm lens. I have the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 and it is good stopped down but at f1.4-maybe f2 its rendering with some scenes is best described as "classic" The f1.2 may well be more modern in rendering but the corners still look poor which I suppose is one of the prices to pay for the compact size and rendering at half to full body distance which I'd guess is what it's biased towards. I can't really fault the 50mm f2 apo lanthar and choosing between this new 35mm f1.2 and any future 35mm f2 apo lanthar would be interesting.

The plan was to buy modern manual lenses and sell off most of the film era stuff but so far I've hung onto it.

I like the Voigtlanders, might buy another one day. Youve got some really nice lenses there. Dont you also have the 40mm 1.2?

Yes. In LR. I managed to get out for sunrise yesterday. Picked my boy up after & he helped me finish the fence off before dropping him back home as he had rugby training last night. I didn't really need the help as such. I could just give him some money, but it's good to make them earn something & teach these kids some hands on work imo :) My daughter works a few evening in a chip shop so she's kept earning. My boy does the 'sticking up' at skittles which is obviously a current no-no so he's not been 'working' since March.

I bought a FE 70/200 f2.8 GM a few months ago but not had chance to try it My great niece came, not seen her for 3 months owing to the virus so gave it a try out

have to say it's a super lens the full size image is as good as i could wish for and the eye AF of the a9mkII worked perfectly .

Rob.

DSC03059.jpg

At the beginning of lockdown I was using my camera quite a bit, but recently it's stayed in its bag other than an engagement shoot a few weeks ago. Need to get back at it.

Camera conspiracies has begun his tear down of the 7SIII as expected. He makes one very good point [I have zero interest in this camera btw, was just curious] - Why the over the top evf? ... for what many are labelling strictly a video camera? Seems pointless, they should have put the extra effort into the LCD surely? And when you consider this: the low end Fuji XT200 has a higher res LCD than the 7SIII will have ... it's odd.

How many videographers/vloggers do you see run and gun using the evf? None. As he says, they'll end up breaking their nose :ROFLMAO: Even in studio most of them are using the LCD whether in front or behind the camera. The prices being thrown about will certainly not in any way inspire the average vlogger either.

Last edited:
New sigma lens is a 85mm f1.4

I'm disappointed :(

Will be ignoring that one then.

Even if its fantastic, it's just more of the same.

Although they are saying this one will be half the weight of the other Sigma 85 f/1.4.

Last edited:
Will be ignoring that one then.

Even if its fantastic, it's just more of the same.

Although they are saying this one will be half the weight of the other Sigma 85 f/1.4.

So it'll be the same weight as the GM :p

I was on my way to a woodland early yesterday when this happened. Caught the sky looking nice, pulled over, set the tripod up, poured a coffee & waited 10 minutes - Because after 10 minutes that was it sun hit a big bank of cloud.
Great spot, your wait was well rewarded.

It's often worth waiting to see how the colours develop, if you've got the time.
Seeing a fantastic sky as you're driving off is worse than waiting and nothing happening!

i dont understand why sony dont use proper screens u see from there sony phones?

get rid of the borders, make the screen estate big
ger and brighter

Reasonably bright day here, just been out on the Harley for a couple of hours :cool:
I bought a FE 70/200 f2.8 GM a few months ago but not had chance to try it My great niece came, not seen her for 3 months owing to the virus so gave it a try out

have to say it's a super lens the full size image is as good as i could wish for and the eye AF of the a9mkII worked perfectly .

Rob.

View attachment 288107
I love the images I've seen from this lens and almost pulled the trigger several times, I just wish it wasn't so heavy :(

they never had any overheating issues?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDZHHO3baxU
they filmed all day wtf yet the other video says his one overheated

And here

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_hp7HYDveQ

@twist thats 2 to 1 saying it does not overheat

edit: no overheating here

Last edited:
Reasonably bright day here, just been out on the Harley for a couple of hours :cool:

I love the images I've seen from this lens and almost pulled the trigger several times, I just wish it wasn't so heavy :(
I got a Harley must get it out sometime too .I don't find the lens too heavy compared to my other lenses it's great for family days just hope we can have some soon .
Rob.

I like the Voigtlanders, might buy another one day. Youve got some really nice lenses there. Dont you also have the 40mm 1.2?

Yes, I have the 35mm f1.4, 40mm f1.2 and 50mm f2. The 40mm is my least used one as it's much bigger and heavier than the 35mm f1.4. It does give smoother bokeh at f1.x and is better into the corners but nowhere near as good as the 50mm f2. So, it's sort of stuck in the middle and only really gets used when I want to use f1.x and get smoother bokeh than the 35mm f1.4 gives at its wide apertures. Of the three I have the 50mm f2 is just... outstanding. I've read that it's one of the best 50mm lenses ever made and I believe it.

I wont bother with the M mount Voigtlanders. I suppose performance on A7's will vary from lens to lens but the Sony mount 35mm f1.4 I have is way ahead of the M mount version I had, IMO.

Family photo.

I spent nearly £800 on car tax and a new exhaust today. That would have bought a nice lens.

Last edited:
I got a Harley must get it out sometime too .I don't find the lens too heavy compared to my other lenses it's great for family days just hope we can have some soon .
Rob.
I never used to mind the weight, but since getting Fibro it's an issue these days.

Which Harley have you got?

they never had any overheating issues?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDZHHO3baxU
they filmed all day wtf yet the other video says his one overheated

And here

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_hp7HYDveQ

@twist thats 2 to 1 saying it does not overheat

edit: no overheating here

And Gordon Laing never had any overheating problems either. And neither did Jared Polin, who videoed himself with the R5 and a7SIII side by side. Until the R5 overheated anyway. ;) :LOL: And Kai videoed with the a7SIII in 30+ degrees heat for over 2 hours, though in some 4k modes he got around 1hour.

Yes, I have the 35mm f1.4, 40mm f1.2 and 50mm f2. The 40mm is my least used one as it's much bigger and heavier than the 35mm f1.4. It does give smoother bokeh at f1.x and is better into the corners but nowhere near as good as the 50mm f2. So, it's sort of stuck in the middle and only really gets used when I want to use f1.x and get smoother bokeh than the 35mm f1.4 gives at its wide apertures. Of the three I have the 50mm f2 is just... outstanding. I've read that it's one of the best 50mm lenses ever made and I believe it.

I wont bother with the M mount Voigtlanders. I suppose performance on A7's will vary from lens to lens but the Sony mount 35mm f1.4 I have is way ahead of the M mount version I had, IMO.

Family photo.

I spent nearly £800 on car tax and a new exhaust today. That would have bought a nice lens.

Those are lovely!

Ouch, is that the mx5?

And Gordon Laing never had any overheating problems either. And neither did Jared Polin, who videoed himself with the R5 and a7SIII side by side. Until the R5 overheated anyway. ;) :LOL: And Kai videoed with the a7SIII in 30+ degrees heat for over 2 hours, though in some 4k modes he got around 1hour.

Buy one, let us know.

Back