The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I just don't like anything about the efv-less experience. In some situations and lighting you can see enough of the screen for both composition and AF but may struggle to MF but even if there are no composition or focus issues I'm holding something at what is for me an unnatural and uncomfortable distance in front of my face. On the whole I'd rather not :D

Dont see why they wouldnt add an EVF, even a lowish res one. It cant really be size, Id be surprised if they couldnt get a FF sensor in the A6600 body.

123.JPG

I'm a big critic of the field sequential evfs my Panasonic GX80 and GX9 have but in reality I often forget they're crap when I'm using the cameras so even a cheap small crappy field sequential evf would be a massive advantage over none, imo.

Bikes?

Suzuki AP50
Suzuki GP100
Honda C90

Got car licence and women prefer cars.

Passed bike test in 99

Yamaha YZF6006 Thundercat
Kawasaki ZX9R
Suzuki RF900R
Triumph Sprint RS
Kawasaki ZZR1100
Kawasaki ZX6R636
Triumph Sprint ST

Currently bikeless but want a Honda VFR800 VTEC.

An overheating test between the A7SIII vs R5 where on 2 separate tests the Sony overheated before the Canon. On the original test the Sony overheated at 23 mins and on this 27 mins.

Guess we will have to wait until release to see what the real truth is.

if the A7Siii overheats then it will the most useless hybrid in history. At least R5 makes for a good still camera.

if the A7Siii overheats then it will the most useless hybrid in history. At least R5 makes for a good still camera.

Why wouldn't the A7SIII be a good camera for photography? It's going to be better than most for low light/astro I'd imagine.

Also, when did 'stills' become the norm term for photography? Has to have been the video crowd's way of making the photo side seem less important and we all got suckered in. I know I never used the term until I began watching vloggers pretending to be gear reviewers and it has kind of stuck, find myself doing it a lot too.

I've never had a motorbike. I used to ride a friends from time to time but that was years ago and I can't remember what it was. I used to like cars.

The most exciting car I've owned was a Lotus Elise and the fastest across country was a Lotus Elan SE. I like MX5's though as they're fun and pretty practical in that you can drive them in just about any weather, unlike the MK1 Elise I had which was lethal in the wet on public roads let alone in ice and snow. The most disappointing cars I've had were both German, my 2.7ltr Porsche Boxster felt like a truck to drive unless really pushing on and for a long time the engine intermittently sounded like a bag of spanners being smashed against a wall until the dealership eventually got to the bottom of it and the MK1 230 SLK I had had an awful auto box, the roof kept jamming and the paint fell off it in flakes. So much for German quality. I quite liked the old British cars I had, Midget and MGB roadster. The most surprising car I've had was a 4ltr Jag S. It was surprising as it was a comfortable cruiser but it also handled really well, much better IMO than any of the German rivals I drove from Audi, Merc or BMW.

An overheating test between the A7SIII vs R5 where on 2 separate tests the Sony overheated before the Canon. On the original test the Sony overheated at 23 mins and on this 27 mins.

I really don't understand these, and given Youtube is all about the clicks (particularly relevant at this point before the product is released) it's hard to know what to believe. We're literally funding these photographers by watching these videos, so I guess we are all to blame!

I could, if I wanted, discharge my a7RII battery in less than 100 photos if it's used in a certain way, but I can also go to something like a motorsport event and get 1500+ photos from that exact same battery. Pre-release if was a Youtuber I know which header would get more clicks.

Surely we have to assume these cameras are stressed tested, firstly by the engineers and then by some trusted professionals. Cars are taken off to the arctic circle, the desert etc before being released, I don't believe for a second that Sony didn't put the a7SIII in a warm environment etc to make sure it could manage heat reasonably well.

Last edited:
I really don't understand these, and given Youtube is all about the clicks (particularly relevant at this point before the product is released) it's hard to know what to believe. We're literally funding these photographers by watching these videos, so I guess we are all to blame!

I could, if I wanted, discharge my a7RII battery in less than 100 photos if it's used in a certain way, but I can also go to something like a motorsport event and get 1500+ photos from that exact same battery.

Surely we have to assume these cameras are stressed tested, firstly by the engineers and then by some trusted professionals. Cars are taken off to the arctic circle, the desert etc before being released, I don't believe for a second that Sony didn't put the a7SIII in a warm environment etc to make sure it could manage heat reasonably well.

You say that but pretty much all the Sonys overheated in video mode up to the A6400. Now they have raised their bar in terms of quality and its still a really small body so the heat is difficult to get rid of.

Noticed the Sony guys are really quiet about the overheating :exit:

Whatever the reviewers and bloggers and users say haven't we had enough Canon intrusions into this thread?

At least for a while can't we get back to mostly Sony chat with maybe the odd tangent off into Jonneys socks and bikes and other stuff instead of the almost constant Canon intrusions? There are after all Canon threads available.

Whatever the reviewers and bloggers and users say haven't we had enough Canon intrusions into this thread?

At least for a while can't we get back to mostly Sony chat with maybe the odd tangent off into Jonneys socks and bikes and other stuff instead of the almost constant Canon intrusions? There are after all Canon threads available.
I never posted the video and the comparison will be made, the video is about a sony cam so its completely relevant.

Thats actually a very good point, he hasnt posted any images of his socks lately.

To be fair, the title says 'Anything else welcome' and there's been as much motorbike talk as anything else last few pages from what I see

I don't know what standards cameras need to comply with but back when I did product CE approval the temperature range the kit would work in needed to be stated. How we (er... that'll be me...) worked that out could vary but could include putting the thing in a testing environment, like and industrial oven. If manufacturers are really caught off guard or surprised when the kit fails they must be bordering on incompetent.

Will be interesting to see once it’s in more hands.

I saw a post else where about the over heating and someone commented asking if it was a views thing?

3/4 of the larger youtubers ran them for multiple hours without issue and 1 had more issues than with canon in 30min [emoji848]

There were also comments about him saying the camera bricked at one point when he was messing with heating settings before the test, he has asked for a new loaner to check if it was faulty.

Agreed, are they (both brands) final production cameras running final firmware?

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see once it’s in more hands.

I saw a post else where about the over heating and someone commented asking if it was a views thing?

3/4 of the larger youtubers ran them for multiple hours without issue and 1 had more issues than with canon in 30min [emoji848]

There were also comments about him saying the camera bricked at one point when he was messing with heating settings before the test, he has asked for a new loaner to check if it was faulty.

Hopefully it isnt poor QC, that would be even worse. Not exactly a cheap camera.

To be fair, the title says 'Anything else welcome' and there's been as much motorbike talk as anything else last few pages from what I see

It's just my opinion and as you'll know with the title I meant anything Sony related, A6xxx, SLT or whatever. Apart from that I do find the tangents interesting and even charming and comparisons to other brands are interesting and useful as Sony don't exist in a vacuum but when other camera brand talk just about takes over and goes on for page after page as it's done recently and at times in the past too I lose interest as if I want to know all about Canon or Fuji or whatever surely the other brand threads are the ones to head on over to.

I could, if I wanted, discharge my a7RII battery in less than 100 photos if it's used in a certain way, but I can also go to something like a motorsport event and get 1500+ photos from that exact same battery. Pre-release if was a Youtuber I know which header would get more clicks.

That's pretty much what I said a few pages back, youtubers whether they are sponsored or not will put out content that a) gets clicks b) ensures they'll be able to do the same again... whether that is positive or not

One thing I did find funny is Sony did a live stream with Justine & Jenna Ezarik.. they asked one of them when you were using the A7Siii did you have any issues... she said well it did overheat but it was really hot so I guess that is to be expected...

It's just my opinion and as you'll know with the title I meant anything Sony related, A6xxx, SLT or whatever. Apart from that I do find the tangents interesting and even charming and comparisons to other brands are interesting and useful as Sony don't exist in a vacuum but when other camera brand talk just about takes over and goes on for page after page as it's done recently and at times in the past too I lose interest as if I want to know all about Canon or Fuji or whatever surely the other brand threads are the ones to head on over to.

Canikon and Fuji threads are also full of Sony posts. Nothing new.

That's pretty much what I said a few pages back, youtubers whether they are sponsored or not will put out content that a) gets clicks b) ensures they'll be able to do the same again... whether that is positive or not

One thing I did find funny is Sony did a live stream with Justine & Jenna Ezarik.. they asked one of them when you were using the A7Siii did you have any issues... she said well it did overheat but it was really hot so I guess that is to be expected...

:LOL::facepalm: They are off the Christmas list.

Canikon and Fuji threads are also full of Sony posts. Nothing new.

That it goes on too often and too long in this thread is just my opinion and for those occasions when I'm free to read this thread but not interested in what's going on... I have a book to read.

On the flip side, this thread would have been pretty quiet without all the comparison gear talk recently, it is the most gear oriented thread in this section I would say. It's just how it's evolved, it wouldn't happen in the Fuji thread for long, for example because they're too busy posting images - chalk and cheese. I get what you're saying, but also I imagine many Sony shooters are ex-Canon shooters hence the interest, if there wasn't any to and fro the discussion of other makes and models would stop dead.

Last edited:
From the rumour site.

One more thing:

Of the over hundred Sony A7sIII youtubers test I only saw ONE single person reporting an overheating issue. It’s Dan Watson:

Now, I am pretty sure that because he is the only one having that issues this might be a setting issue or more likely an issues on this particular preproduction unit. I hope Sony will lend him another unit just to be sure that this is indeed only a single preproduction unit issue. That is not uncommon with preproduction samples :)

On the flip side, this thread would have been pretty quiet without all the comparison gear talk recently, it is the most gear oriented thread in this section I would say. It's just how it's evolved, it wouldn't happen in the Fuji thread for long, for example because they're too busy posting images - chalk and cheese. I get what you're saying, but also I imagine many Sony shooters are ex-Canon shooters hence the interest, if there wasn't any to and fro the discussion of other makes and models would stop dead.

I mostly like this thread it's just that sometimes I do understand why some don't and have pretty much stopped posting here.

It's just my opinion.

As we sat watching the fountain and the dogs having fun in it yesterday I took two pictures just to see what difference it made to the water droplets, one f5 which gave me 1/800 sec and the other at f1.8 giving 1/5,000. A7 and Sony 35mm f1.8. 100% crops.

NI1kdZT.jpg

s51zQfe.jpg

Next to none really.

:D

From the rumour site.

One more thing:

Of the over hundred Sony A7sIII youtubers test I only saw ONE single person reporting an overheating issue. It’s Dan Watson:

Now, I am pretty sure that because he is the only one having that issues this might be a setting issue or more likely an issues on this particular preproduction unit. I hope Sony will lend him another unit just to be sure that this is indeed only a single preproduction unit issue. That is not uncommon with preproduction samples :)

Its not just him, Elephant productions and as mentioned Justine & Jenna Ezarik also brought it up. Still early days though and could be down to pre-production / fw issues for both companies.

Its not just him, Elephant productions and as mentioned Justine & Jenna Ezarik also brought it up. Still early days though and could be down to pre-production / fw issues for both companies.

So that makes over 100 saying no over heating and 3 saying it does.

Fair bit better than the Canon issues I guess, with everyone saying they overheat easily.

Not that I care one little bit. :ROFLMAO:

Pro videographers are very odd people. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

So that makes over 100 saying no over heating and 3 saying it does.

Fair bit better than the Canon issues I guess, with everyone saying they overheat easily.

Not that I care one little bit. :ROFLMAO:

Pro videographers are very odd people. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Not fussed, wont be buying either anytime soon.

It's incredible the amount of people here discussing a camera they admit to never wanting to buy.

It is a gear thread and its still interesting to hear peoples opinions.

Not soon, perhaps in the future after a couple of price drops, woudnt spend 4k on a camera.

I'm pleased i did not wait for Canon and moved all my gear on as i am very happy with my Sony setup for birding and family days and as i would still buy the same today I know i got it right - that doesn't happen too often :)

Rob.

I'm pleased i did not wait for Canon and moved all my gear on as i am very happy with my Sony setup for birding and family days and as i would still buy the same today I know i got it right - that doesn't happen too often :)

Rob.

Well you do have pretty much the top end of gear, its kinda hard to be disappointed with that.

The rumour site thinks the upcoming new Sony camera will be small and cheap and possibly without an evf. I'd maybe be interested in a small cheap entry level camera with an evf, either SLR or RF style but I'm just not interested at all in any serious camera without a VF of some sort.

Me and Mrs WW were in a park in Middlesbrough yesterday and as we sat watching the fountain in the half light that passes for daylight here I could hardly see a thing on my phone screen when I got a call, same with Mrs WW's phone and my A7 screen was next to useless too. I could just about point it in the right direction for rough framing but for anything other than that... useless. Put any of those screens in direct light in a sunny holiday location and what are you going to be able to see? So, a VF less camera just isn't for me.

Another thing that puts me off massively is I don't like holding a thing at half arms length in front of my face whilst jabbing at it with a finger. This camera even if evf-less will almost certainly have a shutter button (unless they've gone mad) but even so, I'm just not interested and I can't imagine what would tempt me to buy one. I had an evf-less Panasonic GF1 for a while but I quickly came to dislike using it and I can't see myself going back to that way of taking pictures.

Would anyone buy an evf-less A5/6?
TBH I'm more interested in the new earbuds, I have the M3's and for an earbud the sound is exceptional, will be interesting to hear if the M4's better it.

Edit: Ignore that, just seen it's the M4 WH headphones not the WF earbuds :(

Last edited:
It's incredible the amount of people here discussing a camera they admit to never wanting to buy.

I think the interesting thing with any new camera is the potential for what will be added to other releases later on down the line.

For example the new evf is supposed to be amazing and will likely end up in other models later, as will the new menu, the new white balance sensor, maybe even the flippy screen although for that one I hope not.

Well you do have pretty much the top end of gear, its kinda hard to be disappointed with that.
Yes your right, I guess if I can't get the shot now it's time to give up and take up stamp collecting or something :)

Rob.

Back