The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

OK, so between Iraklio/Heraklion and Malia. If you visit Knossos (might be quiet this year - make the most of the chance) and the Lasithi plateau/Dikti caves then you'll be glad of both lenses. If it's just a beach hol then the 55 will be enough.
Thanks

I'm a bit jealous now. We stayed at Ferma near Irapetra on the south coast in '87 and Lasithi was amazing with all the windmills & relatively few tourists - my wife (4 months pregnant at the time) was brilliant walking up & down mountains & caves, only to be unable to walk easily the next day. Likewise Knossos was excellent, with all the rooms open to wander freely around (that won't happen any more). There were many quiet bays then, & Elounda was lovely too. We had some real adventures, including a 70mph rear wheel blowout on a motorcycle and being stranded a long way from our hotel. I suspect it's now incredibly built up, but if you can hire a car you should find some of the real crete away from the touristy bits.

I'm a bit jealous now. We stayed at Ferma near Irapetra on the south coast in '87 and Lasithi was amazing with all the windmills & relatively few tourists - my wife (4 months pregnant at the time) was brilliant walking up & down mountains & caves, only to be unable to walk easily the next day. Likewise Knossos was excellent, with all the rooms open to wander freely around (that won't happen any more). There were many quiet bays then, & Elounda was lovely too. We had some real adventures, including a 70mph rear wheel blowout on a motorcycle and being stranded a long way from our hotel. I suspect it's now incredibly built up, but if you can hire a car you should find some of the real crete away from the touristy bits.
Will be hiring a car and going exploring, only previous visit to Greece was Corfu which was ok but back then I had 3 young kids in tow.

As it's quiet.

Saltburn beach, taken with my A7 and an old film era manual lens, probably a Minolta 50mm.

Fsbdl2I.jpg

Oh dear. That striping in the sky isn't visible in the original.

Last edited:
I've had it a few weeks now but only made it out of the house once with it. I really need to make an effort to get out more.

Ah.

When you get time to have a play let me know how you think it compares to the Panasonic 100-400mm when cropping to get the subject the same size in the frame. For birds, the moon and long landscape stuff and the like I wonder if my A7 and this would beat my Panny combo for IQ?

PS.
Ah... Just spotted the DN. This is an APS-C lens?

Last edited:
Impressive for her, not so much for you :p

I “hiked”, it’s mostly flat but with a few hills and a lot of stairs to a Pagoda with my 70-200/2.8GM, 35/1.4 and a tripod

U3irCjM.png

Buses don't count :)

I need to rethink my wide angle option. The sigma 12-24mm f4 is a beast and I've hardly used it.

Very proud of my girl. It rained heavily the whole way and she only started to grumble after 17km.

14.8miles walking :p

Blast! You've outdone me by 2km.

Hold on, how many kids/dogs? :)

I had the 70-200mm 2.8, 35mm 2.8 and the big sigma. Mini tripod. The 35mm weighs nothing. I may switch the sigma for a cano 17-40nto cut some weight.

Blast! You've outdone me by 2km.

Hold on, how many kids/dogs? :)

I had the 70-200mm 2.8, 35mm 2.8 and the big sigma. Mini tripod. The 35mm weighs nothing. I may switch the sigma for a cano 17-40nto cut some weight.

Ha, just my backpack and a DJI Pocket along with my gear, perhaps a bottle of water.

As it's quiet.

Saltburn beach, taken with my A7 and an old film era manual lens, probably a Minolta 50mm.

Fsbdl2I.jpg

This might sound like a back-handed compliment, but that's one of the best shots I've seen from you :)

As it's quiet.

Fsbdl2I.jpg

“Excellent” shot, pushes all the right buttons for me.

George.

Just arrived now, so on charge love it already :banana:

There's been a bit on The Online Photographer about "Nesting" which he explains as having a two lens kit, one lens being a do it all zoom and the other being a fast prime somewhere within the focal lengths covered by the do it all lens. So, a 28-70mm and a 35mm f1.8 would fit this nesting idea very well.

I've often thought that a standard zoom and a prime would cover 99.9% of my needs, but I can never restrict myself to that :D

There's been a bit on The Online Photographer about "Nesting" which he explains as having a two lens kit, one lens being a do it all zoom and the other being a fast prime somewhere within the focal lengths covered by the do it all lens. So, a 28-70mm and a 35mm f1.8 would fit this nesting idea very well.

I've often thought that a standard zoom and a prime would cover 99.9% of my needs, but I can never restrict myself to that :D

I set all my Fuji stuff up for my jazz and music shots, but because of the virus it won`t be happening again this year hence why I thought I`d have a change.

I set all my Fuji stuff up for my jazz and music shots, but because of the virus it won`t be happening again this year hence why I thought I`d have a change.

That takes me back.

Twenty years ago (and more) most of my pictures were taken at gigs. In those days I had a Nikon SLR (I had that for decades) and a kit lens and of course some ISO 1,600 film and in those days no one ever once mentioned noise or motion blur. I then went digital in 2003 with Fuji S602 which was next to useless in that scenario.

I haven't been to a live music event like those for a long time but I'd like to compare pictures taken back then to some taken with the kit I have now, I expect there'll be no comparison.

Looks to me like the finger may rub against the lens here
I'm not sure how good that mock up is tbh as some photos I've seen (can't find them now) show it to be thinner than the Samyang 85mm f1.4 and there's just enough room using the Samyang with my shovels if I'm careful.

Just got an email, Sigma launch price is £999 so not as bad as some predicted (y)

Back