The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Pictures of the A7c...

Is there anyone who thinks that this control layout, one dial and the spinning back dial, is better than having two dials, front and back or at least side by side for aperture and shutter?

AFAIK people have been shouting about changing the A6xxx controls since the cameras dropped the two dial set up so why Sony? Why?

The only save would be if that back dial towards the top is clickable to toggle between aperture and shutter.

I was reading that and think...yup,. yup yup, I will get one if it's like £1200-1500...

£2100 or more?

Errrrr same spec as the A7III but flip out screen? I will pass.

A single dial is not so bad if you’re shooting in A or S. But if you shoot manually, it’s a bit of a pain because the back dial is too easily knocked by the hands.

It seems odd how makers listen to some input and ignore other. People have been complaining about the A6xxx control layout for years but Sony just don't seem to listen. It's during these p****d off with Sony moments that I think I should just stick to adapted lenses so I can drop kick Sony over a hedge if Canon or Nikon get their act together.

I was reading that and think...yup,. yup yup, I will get one if it's like £1200-1500...

£2100 or more?

Errrrr same spec as the A7III but flip out screen? I will pass.

I'll keep my A7 but I'm so p****d off with Sony I may just hold off on buying any more native mount lenses.

It seems odd how makers listen to some input and ignore other. People have been complaining about the A6xxx control layout for years but Sony just don't seem to listen. It's during these p****d off with Sony moments that I think I should just stick to adapted lenses so I can drop kick Sony over a hedge if Canon or Nikon get their act together.
TBH I've been equally annoyed with Nikon over the years, I really don't get it. All I can think is that the Japanese market/wants are different to the UK.

I've said it before but I think they should just consult me, they'd have a winner on their hands then :LOL:

Last edited:
Pictures of the A7c...

Is there anyone who thinks that this control layout, one dial and the spinning back dial, is better than having two dials, front and back or at least side by side for aperture and shutter?

AFAIK people have been shouting about changing the A6xxx controls since the cameras dropped the two dial set up so why Sony? Why?

The only save would be if that back dial towards the top is clickable to toggle between aperture and shutter.
It's looking perfect for me so far. My camera spends 99% of its time in Aperture mode. Actually like the silver as well.

My preference would certainly be for a front / back two dial setup, but having has an A6000 for a number of years as my 'travel' camera,
I've now become used to the configuration on that - most of the time I'm in AP, with the upper dial for aperture and lower dial for exposure comp, which works very well. SP is similar (with upper dial for shutter).
The occasion times I'm in manual, it's because I want Manual with Auto ISO, and really its AP with fixed shutter I'm shooting (IE I want a particular min shutter), so having shutter on the lower dial is not an issue.

But while that's fine for a travel camera, I'm less convinced it would be OK for a more 'serious' camera - and the rumored price certainly places it in that category.

Pictures of the A7c...

Single dial is crap.

£1500 and that was an instant purchase for me to replace one of my a7RIIs, ah well.

My preference would certainly be for a front / back two dial setup, but having has an A6000 for a number of years as my 'travel' camera,
I've now become used to the configuration on that - most of the time I'm in AP, with the upper dial for aperture and lower dial for exposure comp, which works very well. SP is similar (with upper dial for shutter).
The occasion times I'm in manual, it's because I want Manual with Auto ISO, and really its AP with fixed shutter I'm shooting (IE I want a particular min shutter), so having shutter on the lower dial is not an issue.

But while that's fine for a travel camera, I'm less convinced it would be OK for a more 'serious' camera - and the rumored price certainly places it in that category.

I use AP but I also spend a lot of time in manual with auto ISO as the light here is often poor during daylight hours and at f5.6-8 the shutter speed can easily drop to 1/60, as per yesterday when we were out between 12:00 and 15:00 and the light was very poor. My usual solution is to switch to manual, set the aperture and a real world friendly shutter speed and let the ISO float up and down and adjust things as and when. The easily knocked spinning wheel on the back would drive me mad in that scenario.

This is madness for any half way serious and expensive camera. IMVHO. Gosh knows what Sony have been thinking all these years.

Single dial is crap.

Stupid is a word that springs to mind but that's companies for you. Some seem to deliberately hobble the kit, it's as if they pull back from the thought of making an excellent product and instead throw in another stupid.

Glad I didn’t wait for it and got the A6500, which arrived yesterday.

That's a Positive "RESULT" book Stephen, congrat's & "ENJOY".

George.

Single dial isn't too much of a deal for me even though I shoot a lot of manual mode as most of my lenses have aperture on the lens anyway. It's the lack of C1, etc buttons for magnify and the like but there may be ways around it.

Price needs to be lower though.....

Single dial isn't too much of a deal for me even though I shoot a lot of manual mode as most of my lenses have aperture on the lens anyway. It's the lack of C1, etc buttons for magnify and the like but there may be ways around it.

No joystick either so it’ll be press a button to activate AF point :banghead:

Out of my hotel window.

a82B8bv.jpg

Last edited:
Double dial would be my preferred setup, it’s a feature I miss when I moved from the A77 to my A6400. The joystick was great too.

Double dial would be my preferred setup, it’s a feature I miss when I moved from the A77 to my A6400. The joystick was great too.

it does have dual dials, the problem is both are thumb dials. it lacks a forefinger dial :(
a77ii was great!

it does have dual dials, the problem is both are thumb dials. it lacks a forefinger dial :(
a77ii was great!
Yes that’s the configuration I was meaning. The dial setup on the A6400 is terrible compared with the A77. I’ll get used to it but it’s a backwards step.

Yes that’s the configuration I was meaning. The dial setup on the A6400 is terrible compared with the A77. I’ll get used to it but it’s a backwards step.
Yes agreed. I am not sure why it's so hard for them to add a fore finger dial!

The rumor site compare the A7c with the A7III and Panasonic GX7...

I've had a GX7 and I had a few issues with it, the port flap couldn't be opened unless you moved the screen, the evf is comparatively poor, there's no auto ISO with exposure compensation in manual mode and shockingly... shutter shock. The latter was a real issue for me and I could never recommend that camera because of it. However, these issues are fixed with the GX9 except the relatively poor evf.

Things that have stopped me ditching MFT for the A6xxx series include the smaller and cheaper MFT lenses and the fact that for me MFT has much better handling with dials for aperture, shutter and exposure compensation. For me it just beggars belief that Sony persist with their current dial set up for the A6xxx and this new A7c.

The A7c is really just the evf hump smaller than my A7 but when my A7 eventually dies I'll be faced with buying the same again, if the A7 is still on sale, or a slightly larger A7x so for me it's a shame that Sony have moved to slightly larger A7x bodies or this A7c with its IMO compromised handling.

Oh well.

Last edited:
Someone is selling Sony 12-24mm f4 and 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 in the for sale section.

I feel the same, and I have yet to see anything on the specs for the EVF. After using the X-T3 for a while it made me realise how important that actually is to me as that was a massive step up from my A7r2. If it had the a7rIV EVF, I would actually consider this despite the silly pricing purely for an all manual lens setup. This would be the perfect size combined with a set of voigtlander primes...

The Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 would be nice on the A7c but something more bulky and heavier like the 40mm f1.2 is less attractive for me. That lens really feels heavy on my A7 compared to the 35mm f1.4. I think I'd rather use lenses like the Sony 35mm f2.8 if going for a compact and light set up but of course there aren't that many lenses that compact other than the various Samyangs and the Sigma 45mm f2.8.

I don't think I'll be able to get over my disappointment about the control dials to take a serious look at the A7c though.

Last edited:
Going to take a punt on the Tammy 70-180 this weekend and wait for £1 listing fees to sell the GM!

Going to take a punt on the Tammy 70-180 this weekend and wait for £1 listing fees to sell the GM!
Looks a good lens that, good value.

Thinking of upgrading my A7ii to a iii and using that instead of my Fuji for street photography. Can anyone recommend a compact(ish) lens around the 30-35mm mark that's good quality? I have the 35mm 1.4 Art lens, love it, but it's way to big for me to use on the street

Thinking of upgrading my A7ii to a iii and using that instead of my Fuji for street photography. Can anyone recommend a compact(ish) lens around the 30-35mm mark that's good quality? I have the 35mm 1.4 Art lens, love it, but it's way to big for me to use on the street
Samyang 35mm f2.8, doesn't get any more compact than that.

Samyang 35mm f2.8, doesn't get any more compact than that.
I'll take a look. Whats the reputation in terms of quality? or how have you found it?

My boy has been 'looking after' mine since I bought him the A6000 about 18 months ago. I borrowed it back it a few times when we were on holiday last month & for what it is & what it costs I think it's a good buy.

Back