The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Thanks Trevor, appreciate the nod, wow beautiful machinery for sure. I'm mega into 2-wheels more than photography!

Cheers;
Peter

You’re welcome mate. I thought you’d appreciate them.

Last edited:
I'll take a look. Whats the reputation in terms of quality? or how have you found it?

I also have one. No issues here either. It’s just like having a larger lens cap rather than a lens!

p*** Alley.

YPLJCkR.jpg

Thinking of upgrading my A7ii to a iii and using that instead of my Fuji for street photography. Can anyone recommend a compact(ish) lens around the 30-35mm mark that's good quality? I have the 35mm 1.4 Art lens, love it, but it's way to big for me to use on the street

I have an immaculate Samyang AF 35mm f2.8 available.
I bought it on the forum in July, it's boxed, has pouch etc.. I will sell as I also have the 24mm and 45mm.
If you're interested drop me a PM and we can discuss if there's any future, and the correct process.

I have an immaculate Samyang AF 35mm f2.8 available.
I bought it on the forum in July, it's boxed, has pouch etc.. I will sell as I also have the 24mm and 45mm.
If you're interested drop me a PM and we can discuss if there's any future, and the correct process.
I think you'll find you'll get into bother doing this, no deals or selling are allowed to be done outside the for sale forum (y)

I think you'll find you'll get into bother doing this, no deals or selling are allowed to be done outside the for sale forum (y)

That's why I mentioned the 'correct process' and gave no indication of price. Is that not sufficient?

With Sigma bringing out the smaller lighter 85mm DG DN art lens is it likely we'll see smaller lighter 50mm f1.4 and 35mm f1.4 lenses too?

With Sigma bringing out the smaller lighter 85mm DG DN art lens is it likely we'll see smaller lighter 50mm f1.4 and 35mm f1.4 lenses too?

No idea. May be a 50mm but I don't see them replacing that 35mm f1.2 monstrosity.
The Zeiss 50mm/1.4 isn't all that big for the quality you get. Most people reviewed it to be sharpest with really great rendering. My copy was truly awesome, would have kept it if I got along with 50mm focal length.
I also really liked the images out of samyang 50mm f1.4.

Since switching from the R3 to R4 I thought the shutter was improved. Softer and quieter. I put it down to new toy syndrome. However I found this on the Sony site..

..To maximise the incredible resolution available to the α7R IV the tiniest vibrations need to be supressed, so Sony re-engineered the shutter unit assembly with dampened screws to absorb any shutter shock. Combined with an enhanced image stabiliser algorithm, blur is dramatically reduced, and pin-sharp detail is reliably captured.

That's why I mentioned the 'correct process' and gave no indication of price. Is that not sufficient?
No
You'd either need to place a for sale ad, or other party would need to place a wanted ad, then the discussion takes place in the thread.
Pm is only used to exchange details after sale has been agreed....:)

Guys, external hard drives.....

Seagate, Toshiba, Transcend..... All about the same really? None to really avoid?
Get the cheapest for the size you want.
In my NAS I use Seagate and WD drives.

I also use an old Samsung SSD with a USB adapter as an external as well.

Guys, external hard drives.....

Seagate, Toshiba, Transcend..... All about the same really? None to really avoid?

I've used both WD and Seagate and had no issues with either, as long as you stick with the major brands I don't think there's a huge difference tbh.

Get the cheapest for the size you want.
In my NAS I use Seagate and WD drives.

I also use an old Samsung SSD with a USB adapter as an external as well.
I've used both WD and Seagate and had no issues with either, as long as you stick with the major brands I don't think there's a huge difference tbh.

I can't recall what my main one is. I can't easily access the back of the PC. The one I plug in and copy to is Seagate so as I thought, I'll just go for a well known brand. (y)

No idea. May be a 50mm but I don't see them replacing that 35mm f1.2 monstrosity.
The Zeiss 50mm/1.4 isn't all that big for the quality you get. Most people reviewed it to be sharpest with really great rendering. My copy was truly awesome, would have kept it if I got along with 50mm focal length.
I also really liked the images out of samyang 50mm f1.4.
Bigger and heavier than the Sigma DG DN 85mm f1.4 though.

Does the A7R IV have the same remote shutter release port/connector as the A9 and A7? Looking for a wireless shutter release but none list the A7R IV

I caved and picked up an A7III +Tamron 17-28 & 28-75 on Friday, spent the weekend fiddling and getting used to it, somewhat familiar coming from a a6300, but different enough to merit some time spent. I really wanted to get out and about with my new toy, but the weather up here has been shocking all weekend. Luckily my daughter was happy to play model for me for a few minutes this afternoon (until she got bored and wanted to go back to watching YouTube). Loving the camera so far, this was the best I managed whilst still finding my way around it:

P.S I know that stray hair is really annoying, wish I'd noticed whilst taking the shot but I was more focused on what I was doing with the camera!

70-180 arrived today. I think I have got so used to the 70-200 GM I didn't really get how heavy it is!

Tamron zoom feels nice. Loose enough to turn with fingers but tight enough not to take accidental movements. Lock button is handy. Build seems ok - no real issues, no barrel wobble, and feels pretty solid for what it is.

Going o consider a new strap now - my black rapid was always hung off the lens foot rather than the camera but once attached to the camera it seems a bit swing happy. Might be time to look at the Peak Design offerings.

Also - now my bag seems big! Might also look at a new one too!

Took delivery of my used Samyang 14mm AF last week. Amazed at how wide this thing is.

I used to shoot Nikon crop with a Tokina 11-16mm so had been searching for quite some time for a reasonably priced wide angle for the A7iii and found this on MPB. I was worried I wouldn't get the same width of view but was instantly impressed. Only been out a couple of times with it so still a lot of testing to do with it but all positives so far!

DPS08679-2.jpg

Took delivery of my used Samyang 14mm AF last week. Amazed at how wide this thing is.

I used to shoot Nikon crop with a Tokina 11-16mm so had been searching for quite some time for a reasonably priced wide angle for the A7iii and found this on MPB. I was worried I wouldn't get the same width of view but was instantly impressed. Only been out a couple of times with it so still a lot of testing to do with it but all positives so far!

Very interesting.

I had a Sigma 12-24mm for my DSLR's but now the widest lens I have is an old Tokina 17mm. I'd love another 12-24mm but the cost is a bit eye watering so a wide prime could be something for me to think about. I still want a 12-24mm though :D

70-180 arrived today. I think I have got so used to the 70-200 GM I didn't really get how heavy it is!

Tamron zoom feels nice. Loose enough to turn with fingers but tight enough not to take accidental movements. Lock button is handy. Build seems ok - no real issues, no barrel wobble, and feels pretty solid for what it is.

Going o consider a new strap now - my black rapid was always hung off the lens foot rather than the camera but once attached to the camera it seems a bit swing happy. Might be time to look at the Peak Design offerings.

Also - now my bag seems big! Might also look at a new one too!
Do you have to turn the zoom ring the opposite rotation to a Sony lens?

Just announced, the new Samyang 35mm f1.8...

Nice. I asking the other day for a compact (ish) 35mm to pair with a possibly incoming 7iii. I might hold off on the lens purchase to see how well this is received :)

Back