The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I can see it’s gonna be a bit of learning curve getting it setup right - but it seems one amazing camera! Not sure what all the hoo har about the menu system was about - there seems soo many ways to customise it to your liking. Also the 60mb compressed Raws seem to be smaller than I thought too - my iPad Pro was quite happy importing and editing in LR.

Congratulations, Got an A7riv at the weekend myself. I've been really impressed with the handling, thought the A7iii was good, but the A7riv seems better again, and infinitely better than the original A7. The viewfinder resolution compared to the A7iii is the other big difference I've really loved.

This is my first A7riv shot. Extremely harsh light shot directly into the sun with the Sony 20mm G f/1.8

50340004108_01058e3199_c.jpg
Yes i'm eyeing up the A7RIV for the better EVF amongst other things, great shot that.

I can see it’s gonna be a bit of learning curve getting it setup right - but it seems one amazing camera! Not sure what all the hoo har about the menu system was about - there seems soo many ways to customise it to your liking. Also the 60mb compressed Raws seem to be smaller than I thought too - my iPad Pro was quite happy importing and editing in LR.
If you use LR on the computer as well as iPad you can shoot uncompressed and then use adobe dng converter which uses lossless compression so you end up with 61mp 14bit lossless files of around 60mb from memory (y)

But,
The people that are buying them obviously feel different, and I'm ok with that.....
I quite like it too...:LOL:

And so am I. I usually make a point of wishing people who like something I don't well after I've given it a kicking and if you've read my posts here you'll see I've done that but I'm also free to express an opinion and I think it's a disappointing camera, from my pov.

Even if it is really an overpriced feature lacking pile of poop some people buying it won't know they're buying a pile of poop and that's ok if they're happy as all things are relative and ignorance is bliss. I do quite like the look of it and I like the idea of a RF style camera but the more I think about it the idea of a RF style camera costing in the region of £2k whilst lacking a joystick, front control dial and exposure lock starts to lose a little appeal. It's not impossible that I'll buy one but at this point in time it's maybe looking slightly unlikely.

It does seem to be taking a bashing on some other forums and blogs. Not that that means anything as most people probably don't read internet forums and blog comments. As always. Good luck to these who decide to buy one. May they get many years of happy use out of it.

It was a lovely day yesterday with sun and blue skies but I couldn't leave the house. Today I need to take a car in for service so I get a few hours out and get to go for a walk and the sky is a featureless grey nothingness and what light there is is dead and flat and there's just no point even picking a camera up. Oh well. I still get to go for a walk.

A little more A7c kicking.

I've just read that the max shutter speed is 1/4,000. 1/8,000 being possible with the electronic shutter. I hope it's possible to set the camera up so that it'll automatically switch to electronic if a fast shutter speed is required such as when using wide apertures in good light. Not that good light is a problem where I live but somewhere there could be potential buyers living in places where the sun comes out more that once a decade.

The more I read about this camera the more I think Sony for whatever reason don't want it to sell well.

A little more A7c kicking.

I've just read that the max shutter speed is 1/4,000. 1/8,000 being possible with the electronic shutter. I hope it's possible to set the camera up so that it'll automatically switch to electronic if a fast shutter speed is required such as when using wide apertures in good light. Not that good light is a problem where I live but somewhere there could be potential buyers living in places where the sun comes out more that once a decade.

The more I read about this camera the more I think Sony for whatever reason don't want it to sell well.

That is a nice feature Fuji has, shutter combinations, e.g. EFC up to 1/2000 then auto switch to mechanical up to 1/8000 then auto switches to electronic from 1/8000 to 1/32000. Can choose any combination of these or each independently.

I think it will sell well, just not for £1900.

Last edited:
That is a nice feature Fuji has, shutter combinations, e.g. EFC up to 1/2000 then auto switch to mechanical up to 1/8000 then auto switches to electronic from 1/8000 to 1/32000. Can choose any combination of these or each independently.

I think it will sell well, just not for £1900.
TBH I thought it was part of parcel of mirrorless/electronic shutters that you could reach 1/16000 and 1/32000 so I was quite surprised to find out my Z7 and A7R IV still only go to 1/8000.

I think I'm looking at around £1500 so as soon as it reaches that point I'll have one.
If the reviews come out and something doesn't do what I want them I guess I'm waiting for the MK2 or maybe go give a A7mk4 ago is in sure we'll see that early next year.

I think I'm looking at around £1500 so as soon as it reaches that point I'll have one.
If the reviews come out and something doesn't do what I want them I guess I'm waiting for the MK2 or maybe go give a A7mk4 ago is in sure we'll see that early next year.

Yeah, I think £1500 including the kit lens is about right.

I won't be bothering with the kit lens, most likely my 24-70 will still be my main lens unless I take the hit and sell it and replace with something else.

TBH I thought it was part of parcel of mirrorless/electronic shutters that you could reach 1/16000 and 1/32000 so I was quite surprised to find out my Z7 and A7R IV still only go to 1/8000.

I think I remember you could on Fuji, but I've never seen the need to go that high. I don't even get to 1/4000th

Quick A7r iv question..
Does anyone know if in Auto-Iso mode - you can get the display to show the actual ISO and not just 'auto-iso' when back button focussing - it changes from auto to the actual value when you press the shutter, but would be handy if it actually showed the iso permanently or at least when you engage the focus - regardless of which button you assign.
TIA

Quick A7r iv question..
Does anyone know if in Auto-Iso mode - you can get the display to show the actual ISO and not just 'auto-iso' when back button focussing - it changes from auto to the actual value when you press the shutter, but would be handy if it actually showed the iso permanently or at least when you engage the focus - regardless of which button you assign.
TIA
It'll only show it at the shutter half-press when AEL is locked.
I agree I don't see why can't can't continuously show the changing ISO but it is what it is.

It was a lovely day yesterday with sun and blue skies but I couldn't leave the house. Today I need to take a car in for service so I get a few hours out and get to go for a walk and the sky is a featureless grey nothingness and what light there is is dead and flat and there's just no point even picking a camera up. Oh well. I still get to go for a walk.

Lovely fog here for the first few hours! Should have gave work a miss! :ROFLMAO:

Just wondering why you didn't list it on here, have you had a bad experience in the past with a buyer ? Should sell quicker on ebay I guess just a bit hit and miss with prices.

I don’t think it would get the money on here. For instance if it goes for the higher end of eBay prices it is still £1300 after fees. I think they go for less than that in here TBH.

A7C

I could see me adding this ..I like the size with the kit lens. Love the two tone aesthetic.
Single card slot doesn’t matter to me. Good walk about setup.
I even like the flippy flappy screen.

I think I remember you could on Fuji, but I've never seen the need to go that high. I don't even get to 1/4000th
My EM1-II went to 1/32000 too. Got that high shooting f1.8 on holiday, but ISO is 200 on Olly and Fuji, but that would still mean needing 1/16000 on the Sony.
Quick A7r iv question..
TIA
Another annoying ‘quirk’ of Sony I’m afraid :(

I’ve recently been wondering if Sony will ever design some f1.2 primes but after having just seen the size and weight of the Canon 50mm and 85mm f1.2’s I’d not be interested anyway, those things are pretty huge.

I think the Sigma 85mm DG DN will definitely be on the cards when the price comes down (y)

A7C

I could see me adding this ..I like the size with the kit lens. Love the two tone aesthetic.
Single card slot doesn’t matter to me. Good walk about setup.
I even like the flippy flappy screen.
My main worry about this camera, from my point of view, is that to get the most out of it you naturally need to use ff lenses. Which means more weight. Yes you can use it in aps/c mode, but that makes it little different to the A6500/6600.

Well he's a right nob isn't he?

Won't be subscribing that's for sure.

I don't think he is actually - he had quite a lot of valid points from what I can see.

The way he communicated them may be different to others but I found it easy to watch and quite funny in places.

Which of his points do you disagree with? Interested to know as I haven't dug into the specs of the camera and I am not a vlogger

I don't think he is actually - he had quite a lot of valid points from what I can see.

The way he communicated them may be different to others but I found it easy to watch and quite funny in places.

Which of his points do you disagree with? Interested to know as I haven't dug into the specs of the camera and I am not a vlogger

It's not the content, it's the way he portrays it.

He's trying to be Gavin Hardcastle with his humour but failing I think.

Back