The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Looks fine to me. It's not buttery smooth but not something I'd lose sleep over.
Well not something I’m going to lose sleep over either, first shot out of maybe a couple of hundred where the bokeh has been questionable (to my eyes), I can live with those odds (y).

That being said it will get replaced with the Sigma 85mm f1.4 DG DN at some point :D

Well not something I’m going to lose sleep over either, first shot out of maybe a couple of hundred where the bokeh has been questionable (to my eyes), I can live with those odds (y).

That being said it will get replaced with the Sigma 85mm f1.4 DG DN at some point :D

I am looking for the same lens. Hence my tamron up for same now :D

One lens in the 85ish sort of range I like is the Olympus 45mm f1.8 for MFT. Shame I can't use it as a 90mm on my A7 :D

I do think back to my old Sigma 85mm f1.4 for Canon DSLR's bokeh but the Sony 85mm f1.8 is a better lens in other non bokeh ways.

One lens in the 85ish sort of range I like is the Olympus 45mm f1.8 for MFT. Shame I can't use it as a 90mm on my A7 :D

I do think back to my old Sigma 85mm f1.4 for Canon DSLR's bokeh but the Sony 85mm f1.8 is a better lens in other non bokeh ways.
I really liked the Sigma 85mm EX lens, AF was poor away from the centre point though.

this was my first encounter with one of this year's kits. it was also my first year shooting with a sony (a7r4) and the 200-600mm. for producing noisy images sooc it really does clean up well in post as long as you don't underexpose.

49954418881_3c4c8c73cc_o.jpg

Last edited:
this was my first encounter with one of this year's kits. it was also my first year shooting with a sony (a7r4) and the 200-600mm. for producing noisy images sooc it really does clean up well in post as long as you don't underexpose.

"Cracking" shot, liking everything about it.

George.

A7R IV users what AF mode are you using for moving subjects, particularly those coming straight at the camera? I’m disappointed with the hit rate shooting Betty running towards the camera, I would say more than 50% are focussed on mid body rather than face as though the camera is behind. I know her face lacks contrast but I’d still hope for better.

I’ve tried single point and centre group with AF-C using the 100-400mm and 85mm f1.8.

Last edited:
A7R IV users what AF mode are you using for moving subjects, particularly those coming straight at the camera? I’m disappointed with the hit rate shooting Betty running towards the camera, I would say more than 50% are focussed on mid body rather than face as though the camera is behind. I know her face lacks contrast but I’d still hope for better.

I’ve tried single point and centre group with AF-C using the 100-400mm and 85mm f1.8.

Real time Tracking AF-C with tracking sensitivity set to highest.

Not Sony but maybe interesting.

Uncle Ken Rockwell has a review of the Nikon 50mm f1.2 with a passing comparison to other lenses including the Canon 50mm f1.2.

I'm sort of tempted by the Sony mount Voigtlander 50mm f1.2 but that's MF. I know Sigma do an e mount 35mm f1.2 but I'm not sure that there is an e mount AF 50mm f1.2?

The only f1.2's I have are the Voigtlander 40mm and a Minolta Rokkor 50mm. I did have a Voigtlander 25mm f1.2 for MFT.

Sony to end camera sales and manufacturing in Brazil...

Also here...

I wonder what they made in Brazil?

I don't think I've ever knowingly owned anything marked as Made In Brazil.

I think Sony used to make some high end video cameras in the UK, I wonder if they still do? I think Sony do make a lot of Raspberry Pi's in the UK but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Real time Tracking AF-C with tracking sensitivity set to highest.
Thanks, would you say AF-C tracking would have more success than AF-C single point? My belief was that the tracking algorithm would benefit locking into a specific point but wouldn’t have any extra ability in tracking the movement per se?

Thanks, would you say AF-C tracking would have more success than AF-C single point? My belief was that the tracking algorithm would benefit locking into a specific point but wouldn’t have any extra ability in tracking the movement per se?

That introduces your user error too. Unless the face was always on center point you can't really complain camera is being disappointing in performance.
That's the whole point of tracking to eliminate any user error and track subjects as well as possible.
You should give it a try

That introduces your user error too. Unless the face was always on center point you can't really complain camera is being disappointing in performance.
That's the whole point of tracking to eliminate any user error and track subjects as well as possible.
You should give it a try
Yeah I will (y) However if I have a missed focus shot the first thing I do is check where the AF point was so have ruled out user error in this regard (y)

Of

If bokeh is your thing I would try the Viltrox next

Fantastic shot

Hi guys. I'm after a camera with the best animal and eye AF and IBIS. Those are the two most important things for me.

Can't afford the Canon R6 so have been considering the Sony A7 lll and the A6600. Can I assume the A6600 is much better than the A7lll for keeping up with moving subjects because of the real time tracking? The crop sensor also appeals to me as I can extend the reach of my 70-300mm lens.

I'm not overly keen on the small form factor but I could get used to it.
The viewfinder on the far left seems odd but maybe that helps see what's going on in front of me with my other eye.

Would you recommend the 6600? Seems to tick most boxes for me and is only £1200 used in 'like new' condition. How is the menu system and button layout compared to what I'm used to on my 5d mk2, is it easy and convenient to use? I've seen people say it's all a bit of a mess?

I have both the a7iii & a6600
TBH, I haven't used either for tracking.
A lot of photographers are not all that keen on the a6600 size and design but I've never had a problem with it or my previous a6300.
I have a SmallRig L Bracket fitted and not only is it Arca Swiss compatible, it also improves handling.
I use the a6600 mainly for wildlife and also for travel when out for a cycle or a weekend away in the motorhome.
I tend to use it more than my a7iii kit.
I paid just under £900 for mines from E-Infinity but they are now asking for just over £1k which still makes it a good buy.
Its great with the Sony 70-350G lens, another good lens at a reasonable price. Even huge crops look more than acceptable considering its only a 24mp sensor.
The button layout and menu system will be totally different to your Canon's
The menu system takes a bit of getting used to but not any more than if you moved to another brand.
All in All, I would highly recommend it.
You can see examples on my Flickr photostream ;)

I quite like this picture. It's just a simple picture but I like the bokeh and the colours. It may lose some sharpness here. I wish there wasn't a big stem behind the flower but it is what it is.

A7 and Nippon Kogaku 50mm f2. This really is a nice lens, I like everything about it.

6rVoUFV.jpg

Last edited:
Stopping down the Nikon 50mm f1.8 from wide open.

83uP5JO.jpg

lfFkUmM.jpg

sZIcfl6.jpg

DqDoPkS.jpg

1nA4ofm.jpg

You can't judge sharpness here but it is quite sharp, maybe not up to modern lens standards away from the centre of the frame but easily good enough. It's a much more transparent lens than quite a few of the old lenses I have, if you can see what I mean by transparent. Sharpness and contrast seem to be high and the bokeh isn't bad IMO.

This is the 50mm f1.8 pancake and it's the close focus version which may be the rarer one. I got this one from Japan. There's a nice write up at Ken Rockwell's site...

It is a nice compact lens and it makes a nice pairing with my Nikon 28mm f2.8 Series E.

Last edited:
Non Sony rumours...

I read that Canon may be bringing out an APS-C RF mount camera next year. The rumour may be wrong but if correct what's the future for M mount? At least in Sony land everything mirrorless fits everything, APS-C and FF.

And Sony related...

I read that the A7c has the same sensor as the A7II? True? If so maybe they'll do a more expensive one with a newer sensor and the front mounted control dial I crave so much. A really nice evf would be really nice too. That's a camera I might buy even if at an inflated when compared to an A7III price. I doubt it'll happen though, I think they've decided that the RF style cameras don't need a front control dial.

You should give it a try
So today I tried a variety of AF options and tracking still wanted to jump off Betty’s face onto her body, especially if at a 3/4 angle, so I went back to single point AF as I could make sure this stayed in her face.

However today I used the medium single point rather than small single point and it appears to have made the world of difference. The only missed focus ones were the one’s I didn’t keep the AF point in place (y)

I've found that the smallest focus point can sometimes fail to lock with both my A7 and MFT cameras. I guess that sometimes there just isn't enough for the focus to recognise and lock onto.

I have both the a7iii & a6600
TBH, I haven't used either for tracking.
A lot of photographers are not all that keen on the a6600 size and design but I've never had a problem with it or my previous a6300.
I have a SmallRig L Bracket fitted and not only is it Arca Swiss compatible, it also improves handling.
I use the a6600 mainly for wildlife and also for travel when out for a cycle or a weekend away in the motorhome.
I tend to use it more than my a7iii kit.
I paid just under £900 for mines from E-Infinity but they are now asking for just over £1k which still makes it a good buy.
Its great with the Sony 70-350G lens, another good lens at a reasonable price. Even huge crops look more than acceptable considering its only a 24mp sensor.
The button layout and menu system will be totally different to your Canon's
The menu system takes a bit of getting used to but not any more than if you moved to another brand.
All in All, I would highly recommend it.
You can see examples on my Flickr photostream ;)

Hi mstphoto, just the person I wanted to speak to. :) Yesterday I had seen some of your gallery before you replied and was going to send a message.
I'm so impressed with your photos taken on the 6600. Particularly love this one! it's amazing.

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/eos-mike/50078970827/in/dateposted/

I'm going to pcworld later to see how it feels in my hands but yes, I'd already checked out e-infinity and you're right, about £80 less than mpb.
I wanted to ask you about lenses. Have you tried any adapted lenses like Canon or Sigma and if they affect the AF tracking or real time tracking at all? I'd be considering the same Sony 70-350 lens you use. Does it give you 1.5x crop factor to 525mm? That would be great for shooting wildlife further away and would save me needing a really heavy large lens like the sigma 150-600.

What lens would you recommend if I wanted something to give me wide angle? For example, on a full frame I'd be considering a 17-35mm. Can I buy a a lens for an aps-c like the 6600 to give me an equivalent wide angle view?

So today I tried a variety of AF options and tracking still wanted to jump off Betty’s face onto her body, especially if at a 3/4 angle, so I went back to single point AF as I could make sure this stayed in her face.

However today I used the medium single point rather than small single point and it appears to have made the world of difference. The only missed focus ones were the one’s I didn’t keep the AF point in place (y)

Ah yes should have mentioned that. I use medium flexible point so I can move it around it frame.
The large point is for most part isn't accurate enough for pin-pointing.

Finally gave in and ventured back into London, busier than I expected, it's fighting back slowly....

London-1-18th Sept20 by Pete Downham Photography, on Flickr

I absolutely love this. There's no exif on your page. What camera, lens, settings to get a photo like this? It's so sharp and the lighting and colours are perfect. I want to take photos like it when I grow up. :)

Last edited:
Hi mstphoto, just the person I wanted to speak to. :) Yesterday I had seen some of your gallery before you replied and was going to send a message.
I'm so impressed with your photos taken on the 6600. Particularly love this one! it's amazing.

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/eos-mike/50078970827/in/dateposted/

I'm going to pcworld later to see how it feels in my hands but yes, I'd already checked out e-infinity and you're right, about £80 less than mpb.
I wanted to ask you about lenses. Have you tried any adapted lenses like Canon or Sigma and if they affect the AF tracking or real time tracking at all? I'd be considering the same Sony 70-350 lens you use. Does it give you 1.5x crop factor to 525mm? That would be great for shooting wildlife further away and would save me needing a really heavy large lens like the sigma 150-600.

What lens would you recommend if I wanted something to give me wide angle? For example, on a full frame I'd be considering a 17-35mm. Can I buy a a lens for an aps-c like the 6600 to give me an equivalent wide angle view?

I tried a Canon 70-200 f4 on the a6300.
Although it wasn't too bad, the Sony 70-200 f4 is so much better.
The 70-350 gives you a 525mm equivalent focal length.
Regarding WA lenses - I use the Sony 16-55 f2.8 and Sony 10-18 f4 (15-27mm)
There are adapters to fit most brands of lenses to the Sony e-mount.
I did have the Sony Zeiss 16-70 f4 but I sold it along with the a6300.
I tend to keep with the Sony lenses but I believe Sigmas are quite good.
I have my eye on the Sigma 16mm f1.4 at the moment ;)
The grip on the a6600 is more substantial than other a6*** bodies due to accomodating the newer and bigger battery.
This makes it more comfortable but as I mentioned earlier, the L Bracket makes it a bit deeper as well.
Battery life is excellent!!

Hope this helps ;)

I absolutely love this. There's no exif on your page. What camera, lens, settings to get a photo like this? It's so sharp and the lighting and colours are perfect. I want to take photos like it when I grow up. :)
Thanks very much, sorry didn't realise it was turned off, i've changed the settings on flickr.

This one was the A7iii + 24-105 - 24mm, f/5.6, 1/25, ISO 800

The Sony 10-18 f4 (APSC) isn't half bad.

Ah yes should have mentioned that. I use medium flexible point so I can move it around it frame.
The large point is for most part isn't accurate enough for pin-pointing.
I don’t have the option of large, just small and medium. IIIRC I disable it.

And Sony related...

I read that the A7c has the same sensor as the A7II? True? If so maybe they'll do a more expensive one with a newer sensor and the front mounted control dial I crave so much. A really nice evf would be really nice too. That's a camera I might buy even if at an inflated when compared to an A7III price. I doubt it'll happen though, I think they've decided that the RF style cameras don't need a front control dial.
From what I've read it's a tweaked A7iii sensor with the AF of the A7Riv. Goes down 1 ev more also.

Just moved across from canon to Sony A9, with Canon I was able to use an angle finder for low down work but at my age with glasses I just cannot get down low enough and look through the view finder and with the tilt screen the thing is hard to see at all in bright light. Is their an angle finder for Sony A9 or another solution please? Thanks, Russ

Just moved across from canon to Sony A9, with Canon I was able to use an angle finder for low down work but at my age with glasses I just cannot get down low enough and look through the view finder and with the tilt screen the thing is hard to see at all in bright light. Is their an angle finder for Sony A9 or another solution please? Thanks, Russ
Not sure you can get one for any mirrorless cameras tbh :(

Back