The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I have stopped using LR for NR now. I use topaz denoise which works incredibly well especially for A7RIV.
It is poor compared to every other Sony body I have used and I have had a few.

It also poor compared to every full frame Nikon DSLR made in the last 7 years or so. I have had all of those too.
I'm not sure I'd agree, it's on par with the D750 (which is still very good), better than the D810 and D850, and better than the gen 1 and 2 Sonys. If you were to go purely via DXO (which I don't) the A7RIV is better than all the Nikon DSLRs I've just mentioned,

But clearly you and I have different experiences of these cameras which is fine (y)

Maybe it's just me but I stopped wanting any James Bond things or anything like that when I was 10.

As always good luck to those who'll buy and maybe there is some (photography related, not oil slick or bullets) feature that the ordinary Q2 doesn't have. I don't suppose there is though.

mFpWZ18.jpg

I'm not sure I'd agree, it's on par with the D750 (which is still very good), better than the D810 and D850, and better than the gen 1 and 2 Sonys. If you were to go purely via DXO (which I don't) the A7RIV is better than all the Nikon DSLRs I've just mentioned,

But clearly you and I have different experiences of these cameras which is fine (y)

I am only going by own images when I had an A7RIV, it was very good for the project I bought it for but a poor option for photographing weddings. Honestly the D750 I found to be much better in low light for weddings as was the D800, D810, D850 and the D4S which I also used for weddings at one time or another.

It’s for people who have a James Bond Omega watch, they will keep it in the glovebox of their Aston Martin

Maybe I should get one then, my uncle is selling his DB9 and while I absolutely shouldn't even consider it due to the cost it is so frigging tempting.

Whenever I'm tempted to an attention grabbing car I think of the costs, tyres and repairs etc and also the negative reaction of others, the hassle you can get on the roads, the vandalism. Sorry to be negative and maybe it's just where I live and the places I go but the hassle I've taken in the past really puts me off having anything that catches scumbags attention.

Whenever I'm tempted to an attention grabbing car I think of the costs, tyres and repairs etc and also the negative reaction of others, the hassle you can get on the roads, the vandalism. Sorry to be negative and maybe it's just where I live and the places I go but the hassle I've taken in the past really puts me off having anything that catches scumbags attention.

Those are the same things that are keeping me sensible along with the cost for the moment anyway. :ROFLMAO:

These days scumbags mostly ignore my MX5 and that's how I like it.

Pictures taken with it to follow? :D

I hope you'll be happy with it :D

Indeed! Few taken today, around the house and garden so none of them are particularly special but all I really wanted was a chance to have a play with the lens. Have to say I'm enjoying it very much so far, seems very useful for the money and can see it being on the camera a lot.

TBH I don’t let the worry of others stop me from getting what I want, life’s too short to worry about what could happen (y)

So I bought the 35mm 2.8 Samyang to use with my A7ii and a trial really to see if I was happy to go for a Sony compact setup for street photography, and then I could sell the fuji lot and run one system! So my first outing was yesterday and here's a shot to share - it's noisy and had a good cropping.. but I'm pretty happy with this.

DSC02305-Edit.jpg by Ben Cremin, on Flickr

I have now ordered at A7iii - there were too many niggling things on the ii - I mostly hate the focus system and would like the electronic shutter :)

So I bought the 35mm 2.8 Samyang to use with my A7ii and a trial really to see if I was happy to go for a Sony compact setup for street photography, and then I could sell the fuji lot and run one system! So my first outing was yesterday and here's a shot to share - it's noisy and had a good cropping.. but I'm pretty happy with this.

DSC02305-Edit.jpg by Ben Cremin, on Flickr

I have now ordered at A7iii - there were too many niggling things on the ii - I mostly hate the focus system and would like the electronic shutter :)

Might have been better off with the A7c instead for street and compactness

I was pretty happy with the compactness yesterday, and I was shooting in manual most of the time, so I was using both wheels quite a bit. I may still get the A7c once it's been out a little whole

The A7III and Sammy 35 f2.8 is a fantastic, tiny combo for street work, and I don't think an A7C would offer much advantage. Really like the silent shooting mode with electronic shutter on mine.

Uploaded pics from our Attica trip last night - around 1700 images. Now it's culling & then editing time - some of the shots I've been looking at and asking "what was I thinking" though they all made sense at the time. Also far too many that are all too similar (and good) with the last light from the setting sun falling on the Parthenon.

TBH I don’t let the worry of others stop me from getting what I want, life’s too short to worry about what could happen (y)

There's no need for me to think about what could happen as I lived through this for years with some of the more attention grabbing cars I've had. The negative stuff can be anything from annoying though upsetting and on to dangerous and even at its mildest can just suck all the fun out of it as imagine an incident coming out of the blue when you're just going about your business or indeed having a good time with someone. These days there's no way on earth I'd drive Mrs WW around in that sort of car, these days a more anonymous and less noticeable life is for me.

If only life was as it should be. I suppose I was more visible as I used my cars every day for everything from going to work or to the shops through to just the enjoyment of going for a drive. I clocked up 118k miles in one of my Lotus's and although I didn't get hassle all the time or every day there were enough distressing incidents to put me off, chiefly with my Lotus's and Porsche.

Last edited:
There's no need for me to think about what could happen as I lived through this for years with some of the more attention grabbing cars I've had. The negative stuff can be anything from annoying though upsetting and on to dangerous and even at its mildest can just suck all the fun out of it as imagine an incident coming out of the blue when you're just going about your business or indeed having a good time with someone. These days there's no way on earth I'd drive Mrs WW around in that sort of car, these days a more anonymous and less noticeable life is for me.

If only life was as it should be. I suppose I was more visible as I used my cars every day for everything from going to work or to the shops through to just the enjoyment of going for a drive. I clocked up 118k miles in one of my Lotus's and although I didn't get hassle all the time or every day there were enough distressing incidents to put me off, chiefly with my Lotus's and Porsche.

We've got my more noticeable car out today.... No issues, quite a few friendly looks, people pulling out in front because they think it's slow....... :rolleyes: That's our main annoyance! Four up with the dog and still overtaking slow in the way cars up hills ;)

We've got my more noticeable car out today.... No issues, quite a few friendly looks, people pulling out in front because they think it's slow....... :rolleyes: That's our main annoyance! Four up with the dog and still overtaking slow in the way cars up hills ;)

One of the worst incidents for me was once on an A road doing 50mph in my Elan SE when a bloke on a motorbike who had been behind me behaving himself overtook me and put his hand out and whacked my wing mirror which then dangled by the bits and bobs as he accelerated away. I just sat for a moment and then the red mist descended and my right foot went to the floor. He spotted me coming and took the next exit into town and I followed, we stopped at a red light at the end of the slip road with me just a car behind him, I took my seat belt off and started to get out of the car and he went through the red light and the traffic and I saw him do the same at the next red light, straight through. That incident shook me up as if I'd got hold of him I'd have assaulted him and probably ended up in court. He'd probably have lived but being hit by traffic as he went through two red lights could have been more serious than potentially getting a smack from me. Incidents were most common on nice sunny days when I had the top down. Nice sunny days and having the top down both seemed to enrage idiots.

On the positive side no MX5 I've owned has ever been vandalised or created that level of loonacy. The Elan SE, Elise and Boxster were the worst for this and I could never really understand why as they weren't overly expensive and a hatch/family car could cost more so I don't think it was the money aspect that people hated more that they saw someone who was enjoying the experience and just wanted to spoil it.

How do you find the 17-28 Trev ?

I really like it Pete. Widest I’ve shot is20mm. For my favourite subjects (bikes) I prefer 24-28. It’s ok at 20 but obviously when close up to bikes there’s a bit of distortion. Don’t expect that to be a problem for street or landscapes. Plenty sharp enough. Good colours and contrast. Wouldn’t have bought anything slower. So far, I’ve not bought the 24GM..though that’ll probably change..I really like to shoot for shallow depth of field.

I really like it Pete. Widest I’ve shot is20mm. For my favourite subjects (bikes) I prefer 24-28. It’s ok at 20 but obviously when close up to bikes there’s a bit of distortion. Don’t expect that to be a problem for street or landscapes. Plenty sharp enough. Good colours and contrast. Wouldn’t have bought anything slower. So far, I’ve not bought the 24GM..though that’ll probably change..I really like to shoot for shallow depth of field.
Thanks, i've been researching the 20mm 1.8, think i'd prefer that to the 24 tbh. The Sigma 14-24 is still calling me, just can't decide if i'd get enough use out of it to justify a grand.

A7III is slightly larger than A7ii
Still small though (y)

One of the worst incidents for me was once on an A road doing 50mph in my Elan SE when a bloke on a motorbike who had been behind me behaving himself overtook me and put his hand out and whacked my wing mirror which then dangled by the bits and bobs as he accelerated away. I just sat for a moment and then the red mist descended and my right foot went to the floor. He spotted me coming and took the next exit into town and I followed, we stopped at a red light at the end of the slip road with me just a car behind him, I took my seat belt off and started to get out of the car and he went through the red light and the traffic and I saw him do the same at the next red light, straight through. That incident shook me up as if I'd got hold of him I'd have assaulted him and probably ended up in court. He'd probably have lived but being hit by traffic as he went through two red lights could have been more serious than potentially getting a smack from me. Incidents were most common on nice sunny days when I had the top down. Nice sunny days and having the top down both seemed to enrage idiots.

On the positive side no MX5 I've owned has ever been vandalised or created that level of loonacy. The Elan SE, Elise and Boxster were the worst for this and I could never really understand why as they weren't overly expensive and a hatch/family car could cost more so I don't think it was the money aspect that people hated more that they saw someone who was enjoying the experience and just wanted to spoil it.
Sorry to hear you've had some bad experiences, not nice that. Not sure if the example above was anything to do with having a nice car though, and more a 'road rage' type incident (clearly guessing as I wasn't there).

I usually get good reactions having nice cars and bikes, the only negative (and annoying things) I get is comments like "oh you must charge too much for your work" or "you must have loads of money", but I just think that it's ignorance on their behalf and put it behind me pretty quickly.

Back