The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Not for that price (£400 may have been a bit too much anyway).
TBH used prices have gone up recently hence my price. At the time of posting it was around £80 cheaper than like new used from MPB. MPB have offered me a decent price and I might accept it now that the 85mm is on sale.

TBH used prices have gone up recently hence my price. At the time of posting it was around £80 cheaper than like new used from MPB. MPB have offered me a decent price and I might accept it now that the 85mm is on sale.

You should have just stuck it in eBay.
My tamron 70-180mm and LX100ii sold within half day of putting it on there.
Selling here has generally been painful.

50467636808_89ffcf070c_b.jpg

It's arrived, so small and light! I was initially concerned about the lack of lens IS but after handling it I know it won't be a problem.

its a really nice lens. possibly one my favourites.
But i found myself using it mostly 80-110mm for portraits. So I decided to go back to a 85mm f1.4.

its a really nice lens. possibly one my favourites.
But i found myself using it mostly 80-110mm for portraits. So I decided to go back to a 85mm f1.4.
It's very quick to focus on the A9, haven't tried it on the A6500 yet. I bought mainly to get shots of the grandchildren tearing about, I found a prime too restrictive in those conditions. For portraits I stick to my 90mm macro lens, it's amazingly sharp, some say too sharp for portraits!

Well, after the rain stopped, I drove out around 2am to try some night photography on my new a6600. I tested the camera to Imaging Edge smartphone wi-fi connection I was asking about and it really does work well! :) The remote on the app will come in handy. I didn't use it though, I did handheld. The ibis seems to work very well. I was down to 1/15 to 1/8 of a second shutter speed on some. A little noisy because of the high iso. These are my first ever photos with the new camera and the Sigma 16mm 1.4, some shots around a quiet hilly road in Hampstead near Flask Walk. I came across ghosts though! Also, a pub near me in Finchley. I couldn't decide which ones to upload so there's a few, lol.

Ghosts 5
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Door 2
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Stag 1
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Ghosts 2
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Ghosts 4
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

White Bear
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Ghosts 1
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well, after the rain stopped, I drove out around 2am to try some night photography on my new a6600. I tested the camera to Imaging Edge smartphone wi-fi connection I was asking about and it really does work well! :) The remote on the app will come in handy. I didn't use it though, I did handheld. The ibis seems to work very well. I was down to 1/15 to 1/8 of a second shutter speed on some. A little noisy because of the high iso. These are my first ever photos with the new camera and the Sigma 16mm 1.4, some shots around a quiet hilly road in Hampstead near Flask Walk. I came across ghosts though! Also, a pub near me in Finchley. I couldn't decide which ones to upload so there's a few, lol.

Ghosts 5
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Door 2
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Stag 1
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Ghosts 2
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Ghosts 4
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

White Bear
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Ghosts 1
by Merlin 5, on Flickr
Good to see this lens being used. I've got the Sigma Trinity (16mm, 30mm, 56mm) but haven't yet had much chance to try them on my A6500.

Is the 50mm f1.8 any good, Amazon deal seems good.

Is the 50mm f1.8 any good, Amazon deal seems good.

optically its the best nifty-fifty. AF isn't the greatest but I found it to be accurate despite being slow,

if you can stretch to it saymang 45mm/1.8 and sony zeiss 55mm f1.8 are better. but they also cost more and on either side of 50mm.

Last edited:
It's the f1.8 that interests me most for any low light stuff. Next fastest lens is my 35 f2.8.

It's the f1.8 that interests me most for any low light stuff. Next fastest lens is my 35 f2.8.

its decent at f1.8 but you'd really be stressing its limits in the corner with high res bodies though.
than again I don't know another £100-200 50mm that even comes close to this performance wise.

That's why I have a 85/1.4 and 105/14, and not a 135/1.8.

I wish there was a smaller 105/1.4 like the nikon. the sigma is just a monster!

It's very quick to focus on the A9, haven't tried it on the A6500 yet. I bought mainly to get shots of the grandchildren tearing about, I found a prime too restrictive in those conditions. For portraits I stick to my 90mm macro lens, it's amazingly sharp, some say too sharp for portraits!

I bought the 70-180mm for similar reasons i.e. shooting my 3 year old playing. might rebuy it again next year for this reason but at the moment we are stuck at home this year not doing much. so an 85mm f1.4 is a better option for me indoors

Think I'll order it with a long delivery date so I can have the price but time to decide.

I wish there was a smaller 105/1.4 like the nikon. the sigma is just a monster!

I bought the 70-180mm for similar reasons i.e. shooting my 3 year old playing. might rebuy it again next year for this reason but at the moment we are stuck at home this year not doing much. so an 85mm f1.4 is a better option for me indoors
I'm not a portrait person but is there really that much difference between 85mm and 105mm to justify the cost of both?

I'm not a portrait person but is there really that much difference between 85mm and 105mm to justify the cost of both?

I prefer a 100mm focal length to a 85mm for portraits. but wouldn't own both.

there is about as much difference as between 85mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.2.
while I can see a bit of difference I wouldn't put up with the weight and sizes of these lenses after seeing what the sigma 85mm f1.4 can do. the price and size difference isn't worth it for me.
before sigma came out with that lens i was lining up to get that RF85/1.2

Ordered the 50 f1.8 if I don't like it I doubt I'd loose anything selling it on.

If The kids would keep still I would have got the FE135 f1.8 but they just tear around so the FE 70/200 f2.8 is perfect for me for portraits in the Garden over a fixed focal length.

Rob.

I had one - excellent optics, but focus so poor I returned it. Now have a Zeiss 55, and it's all round better.
I'd hope so for 4 times the price. I can live with poor AF on this sort of lens.

wouldn't call it poor but its poor by 1st party standards its the worst one of the lot for AF.

I'd hope so for 4 times the price. I can live with poor AF on this sort of lens.

I couldn't live with frequently missed focus, even at £135 - it was distinctly worse than the Samyang 50 f1.4 that so many here knock. Slow is ok - you'll miss some shots & annoy people if you're after a portrait, but to just miss altogether unpredictably.... See how yours performs when it arrives: perhaps mine was just a bad copy.

If The kids would keep still I would have got the FE135 f1.8 but they just tear around so the FE 70/200 f2.8 is perfect for me for portraits in the Garden over a fixed focal length.

Rob.
That was how I sold the purchase of the 70-180 to my wife. I just had to say the word "grandchildren" twice and it was game over :LOL:

I think you mean depth of field Toby.
Not really tbh, as above different lenses have different micro contrast and different ways they transition from focus to out of focus areas etc giving lenses a more 3D appearance, some a kind of Brenizer appearance (y).

Hi Laurence I have the Sony 70-200mm f2.8 do you think - your new lens is comparable with this, given the price difference???

Les :)

So our government in Northern Ireland is going to confirm later this morning that we are going back into lockdown for a minimum of 4 weeks.

Great time to be a wedding photographer. :ROFLMAO:

No grants or self employed support scheme this time to try and cover a little bit of the loss either.

Last edited:
Hi Laurence I have the Sony 70-200mm f2.8 do you think - your new lens is comparable with this, given the price difference???

Les :)
Hi Les, I haven’t used the Sony so I have no direct comparison to make but I looked carefully at all the reviews and in particular the technical tests. It seemed to come out ahead. The only things that it couldn’t match with the Sony was the absence of image stabilisation and a tripod collar. A third party collar is available and the stabilisation issue is easily overcome. Have a look at Dustin Abbotts review.
The Sony 2.8 apparently weighs as much as the 100-400, the 70-180‘s weight seems negligible in comparison and it’s really “dinky” in size. I did some tests yesterday in the garden and I’m well satisfied.

Hi Les, I haven’t used the Sony so I have no direct comparison to make but I looked carefully at all the reviews and in particular the technical tests. It seemed to come out ahead. The only things that it couldn’t match with the Sony was the absence of image stabilisation and a tripod collar. A third party collar is available and the stabilisation issue is easily overcome. Have a look at Dustin Abbotts review.
The Sony 2.8 apparently weighs as much as the 100-400, the 70-180‘s weight seems negligible in comparison and it’s really “dinky” in size. I did some tests yesterday in the garden and I’m well satisfied.

Be nice see a comparison- I really love my Sony 70-200mm f2.8 but seldom have a use for it these days, did think of selling and maybe replace it with something cheaper, without worrying about an expensive lens being in my Peli case and not being used :)

Les

Back