The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Be nice see a comparison- I really love my Sony 70-200mm f2.8 but seldom have a use for it these days, did think of selling and maybe replace it with something cheaper, without worrying about an expensive lens being in my Peli case and not being used :)

Les
The trouble is you'd lose money on the original purchase, would it be worth it?

Be nice see a comparison- I really love my Sony 70-200mm f2.8 but seldom have a use for it these days, did think of selling and maybe replace it with something cheaper, without worrying about an expensive lens being in my Peli case and not being used :)

Les

Makes no sense.

The value on a used 70-200/GM now and its depreciation is going to be pretty static and linear.
The value of another used lens in the same focal range, say a Tamron 75-180 is also going to be static and linear.

Both will depreciate over time, selling a 70-200/GM will get you enough money to get a new Tamron, or thereabouts, which then you are going to take another hit in used value and depreciation, argubly worst depreciation between the 2.

So..in short, you are getting hit twice with used value and a worse depreciation curve. Unless of course you are suddenly going to to use it because of its size.

p.s. I too have a 70-200/2.8 GM.

Last edited:
I went for a nice stroll in Parkland Walk which runs off the beaten track from Muswell Hill to Ally Pally. Came across an interesting tree which I've named Octopus giving a V sign, and another photo I call Tunnel vision. :D

Octopus giving a V sign
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Tree
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Tunnel Vision
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

I went for a nice stroll in Parkland Walk which runs off the beaten track from Muswell Hill to Ally Pally. Came across an interesting tree which I've named Octopus giving a V sign, and another photo I call Tunnel vision. :D

Octopus giving a V sign
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Tree
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Tunnel Vision
by Merlin 5, on Flickr
Nice images. My wife gives trees names. On the dog walk I'm introduced to Curly Tree, Hello Tree, Helix Tree etc. It's lunacy I tell you, don't do it Lee!

:D

Makes no sense.

The value on a used 70-200/GM now and its depreciation is going to be pretty static and linear.
The value of another used lens in the same focal range, say a Tamron 75-180 is also going to be static and linear.

Both will depreciate over time, selling a 70-200/GM will get you enough money to get a new Tamron, or thereabouts, which then you are going to take another hit in used value and depreciation, argubly worst depreciation between the 2.

So..in short, you are getting hit twice with used value and a worse depreciation curve. Unless of course you are suddenly going to to use it because of its size.

p.s. I too have a 70-200/2.8 GM.

I see - that does make sense- I love the 70-200mm f2.8 it's light enough and I seldom use the 70mm end - I guess I'll just keep it

Thank you Raymond :)

Les

I see - that does make sense- I love the 70-200mm f2.8 it's light enough and I seldom use the 70mm end - I guess I'll just keep it

Thank you Raymond :)

Les

My 70-200 is on my desk at the moment as paper weight, literally! I don't plan to sell it because I am not in need to liquidate it. The rate it is going, it seems money is going to worth less and material items might worth more with recession and Brexit. I am not sure I can afford to or justified to buy it again if i sell it.

My 70-200 is on my desk at the moment as paper weight, literally! I don't plan to sell it because I am not in need to liquidate it. The rate it is going, it seems money is going to worth less and material items might worth more with recession and Brexit. I am not sure I can afford to or justified to buy it again if i sell it.

I cannot argue with that logic Raymond- I am not looking to sell mine- despite the fact it hardly ever gets used, well once on a local Red Bull soap box type race last year - where it performed without fault :)

I cannot argue with that logic Raymond- I am not looking to sell mine- despite the fact it hardly ever gets used, well once on a local Red Bull soap box type race last year - where it performed without fault :)

If travelling is ever a thing again, I have a few photos in mind around the world i liked to take with this lens. If anything, I am keeping it for that.

Nice images. My wife gives trees names. On the dog walk I'm introduced to Curly Tree, Hello Tree, Helix Tree etc. It's lunacy I tell you, don't do it Lee!

:D

Lol Laurence, it must be first signs of my madness! Well I'm going back there today to re-shoot a couple of other things I liked that I messed up yesterday. I did some 2 stop bracketing, but I had auto iso on which was a mistake, it kept changing the iso and making them way too noisy instead of just changing the shutter speeds. I'll try not to give them pet names. :D

Last edited:
More walkabout autumn shots.

A7RIV, samyang 45mm/1.8 (would be even nicer to pair with an A7C one day :D )
50491164618_20848ddbf3_h.jpg

Got the money through from selling my 16-35, now got enough for the A7C. Think next is to get rid of the Sony 24-70 f4 and replace it with the Sigma 24-70 f2.8. Obviously sell my A7R as well.

Last edited:
Got the money through from selling my 16-35, now got enough for the A7C. Think next is to get rid of the Sony 24-70 f4 and replace it with the Sigma 24-70 f2.8. Obviously sell my A7R as well.

A man with a plan. Sounds good.

Which is there eBay shop? Can't see any 5% off either. I'd it's the A7C I can find it's more expensive than their shop.

Last edited:
Which is there eBay shop? Can't see any 5% off either. I'd it's the A7C I can find it's more expensive than their shop.

This is their main eBay shop. https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/virtualstage although they have a few other ones as well.

The prices on their eBay shop are often a little more expensive than the prices on their website. They also often increase their prices on eBay when there are eBay discount codes available.

Last edited:
Don't get that coupon option on mobile.

Hello all,

I am in search for a wide angle full frame sony lens for my A7R II. I have been looking at the Sony 20mm f1.8 and the more pricey 24mm f1.4 G-Master. Is the faster lens of the G-Master wortn the extra money?

Anyone's opinions on their personal experiences with these lenses will be appreciated. Aswell as any other suggestions for a wide angle lens.

Hello all,

I am in search for a wide angle full frame sony lens for my A7R II. I have been looking at the Sony 20mm f1.8 and the more pricey 24mm f1.4 G-Master. Is the faster lens of the G-Master wortn the extra money?

Anyone's opinions on their personal experiences with these lenses will be appreciated. Aswell as any other suggestions for a wide angle lens.
I know that you have specified a full frame lens but I use the Sigma 16mm f1.4 apsc on my A9 in APSC mode which makes it a 24mm equivalent lens. It's very light and sharp as well as being comparatively cheap.

Hello all,

Depends on what you want it for really.
24GM is one of my favourite lenses, its small and sharp with really nice rendering. Its great for some environmental portraits, doubles up as a 35mm f2 in crop more, works incredibly well night time etc.
20G is just as good optics wise (if not slightly better) but wider, slightly smaller and slightly slower. For me 20mm is kinda bit like 50mm neither here nor there. Its not too wide for ultrawides at the same time its not a "normal" mid-range focal length either.

If you want cheaper alternative there is tokina 20mm f2 and batis 25mm f2.

I know that you have specified a full frame lens but I use the Sigma 16mm f1.4 apsc on my A9 in APSC mode which makes it a 24mm equivalent lens. It's very light and sharp as well as being comparatively cheap.
It's not really much smaller, its certainly a lot cheaper.

Sigma 16/1.4 vs. 24GM vs.
72.2mm × 92.3mm x 405g vs.

24GM
75.4mm x 92.4mm x 445g vs.

batis 25
81mm x 78mm x 335g

Hello all,

The 10-18 APS-C is pretty good on FF. In crop mode it’s 15-27 equivalent, but you can use it in FF mode. If you remove the hood it only vignettes up to 12mm, and from a out 17mm.

Just listed a price check query if anyone can help - for my A7R3 and 29-200 :(

Both in mint condition the camera has only taken 2127 shots - prices seem to be very up and down at the moment !

Back