The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Well I've made the switch finally to Sony from Canon, trading in some of my kit for a Sony A9 and pairing it with the Sony 200-600mm G lens in the next few weeks, I'd be interested in any thoughts on this kit.
I've got the 200-600mm and will hopefully replace my A7ii with an A9 in a couple of months...

Well I've made the switch finally to Sony from Canon, trading in some of my kit for a Sony A9 and pairing it with the Sony 200-600mm G lens in the next few weeks, I'd be interested in any thoughts on this kit.
That's my wildlife and birding kit, it's unbeatable and the best combination I've ever used. You won't be disappointed.

Credit to this must go to the other half. Whilst walking the main path she spotted a bit of autumn colour up above us to the left. I walked up through to take a better look but it wasn't anything worthy of getting the camera out. This scene though was in the almost opposite direction that I was originally looking..... I liked the light & colour from the left, the floor colour & the bit of a vanishing point.

by Lee, on Flickr

That's my wildlife and birding kit, it's unbeatable and the best combination I've ever used. You won't be disappointed.
without a doubt a great combo probably the best too.

Rob.

Thanks!
You guys have brought on some serious GAS.....:LOL:

Credit to this must go to the other half. Whilst walking the main path she spotted a bit of autumn colour up above us to the left. I walked up through to take a better look but it wasn't anything worthy of getting the camera out. This scene though was in the almost opposite direction that I was originally looking..... I liked the light & colour from the left, the floor colour & the bit of a vanishing point.

by Lee, on Flickr

I like the way you process your woods and trees photos, definitely a style unique to you. How are you going about it, is mostly a contrast thing? Colours are nice without being saturated nor are they bland. The colours of the ground look nice too. For want of a better description, it's like you're getting a kind of matte finish.

Last edited:

by Lee, on Flickr

Love the green and red contrast! very nice indeed.
every time I see you pictures I want to buy that CV40/1.2 and then I look at my monkey son and realise MF-ing is a lost cause :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I like the way you process your woods and trees photos, definitely a style unique to you. How are you going about it, is mostly a contrast thing? Colours are nice without being saturated nor are they bland. The colours of the ground look nice too. For want of a better description, it's like you're getting a kind of matte finish.

Thanks. This scene wasn't changed too much. I actually put a phone shot of the back of the camera as an Instagram story I was that confident of this shot!

I'll have a check though the editing settings later on.

Thanks. This scene wasn't changed too much. I actually put a phone shot of the back of the camera as an Instagram story I was that confident of this shot!

I'll have a check though the editing settings later on.
Do you shift the curves at all so that the blacks don't reach the bottom of the curve? I find you get that 'matt' kind of look doing that which your images appear to have (to my eyes)

So I was hungry last night and wanted cake but the shop was closed.

Patisserie
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

So I decided to take in a movie instead. (I didn't really) :D

Everyman
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

A few from my recent trips out to photograph deer in a local deer park.

Recently Added-223 by -Rob'81-

Recently Added-220 by -Rob'81-

I’m slowly getting to grips with the A9 and 100-400. The slower f5.6 aperture is taking a bit of getting used to but I’ve been very happy with weight. It’s great to walk around with something a little lighter than the 7kg+ I used to carry around with Nikon 200-400 and tripod. The smaller size is great too.

I’ve just got around to properly putting my A9 through it’s paces after getting it in February. So far it’s good. Having previously used fast Nikon primes and zooms it’s taking a bit of getting used to being limited to f5.6 with the 100-400. I’m regularly shooting at iso3200-6400. AF has been good although I’m still using single point AF as I like to be fully in control of where it’s focusing. I have noticed whilst shooting deer that eye AF occasionally picks you the deers eye. That’s pretty awesome.

At some point I’d like to try the 200-600 but my current use/needs means the 100-400 is a better fit for me because it’s lighter and smaller size. I’m loving the small bags it fits into as it’s so freeing compared to lugging around my previous kit.

Hi, Probably been asked somewhere amongst this thread but I need to get a bag for the A9 and 200-600mm needs to be big enough to hold body and lens connected along with spare battery, Flask, small eats and one or two smaller items and a tripod clip/holding option. Suggestions????
Thanks, Russ.

Hi, Probably been asked somewhere amongst this thread but I need to get a bag for the A9 and 200-600mm needs to be big enough to hold body and lens connected along with spare battery, Flask, small eats and one or two smaller items and a tripod clip/holding option. Suggestions????
Thanks, Russ.

Thanks, Russ.
My suggestion would be only if the F Stop bags. I’ve been using them for years but I know they aren’t for everyone. I’m not sure which ICU it would need, probably a large or XL.

Hello, just after a bit of help. I'm trying to connect my Samsung note 10 to my A7iii and having issues. Once I scan the QR code on the camera display in the sony imaging app it connects and disconnects straight away, I also can't use the phone to use the NFC feature as it doesn't do anything. Anyone else had the same issue?

Hello, just after a bit of help. I'm trying to connect my Samsung note 10 to my A7iii and having issues. Once I scan the QR code on the camera display in the sony imaging app it connects and disconnects straight away, I also can't use the phone to use the NFC feature as it doesn't do anything. Anyone else had the same issue?

I have a Note 9, never managed to connect mine via NFC, I just do it the old fashioned way via WiFi. Once you've done it once and keyed the password in it's really quick.

I have a Note 9, never managed to connect mine via NFC, I just do it the old fashioned way via WiFi. Once you've done it once and keyed the password in it's really quick.
thanks for the info, I managed to connect after resetting the network settings, but just tried again to connect and it's doing the same annoying problem! Did you connect to wifi via the sony imaging edge software app or just the wifi settings on your phone?

For my birthday (yesterday) Mrs L treated me to a photography session at the local show cave, Ingleborough Cave. Basically this meant access to the cave with no public around. In practice, there was only me signed up for this session, so they just pointed me at the entrance and said I could stay for as long as I wanted. For these I used the Sony A6500 with the Sigma 16mm f1.4 lens, mainly tripod mounted.

Ingleborough Cave (1) by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Ingleborough Cave (2) by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Ingleborough Cave (3) by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Ingleborough Cave (4) by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Last edited:
For my birthday (yesterday) Mrs L treated me to a photography session at the local show cave, Ingleborough Cave. Basically this meant access to the cave with no public around. In practice, there was only me signed up for this session, so they just pointed me at the entrance and said I could stay for as long as I wanted. For these I used the Sony A6500 with the Sigma 16mm f1.4 lens, mainly tripod mounted.

Nice one. Love the Mono

Excellent set.

Back