The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

thanks for the info, I managed to connect after resetting the network settings, but just tried again to connect and it's doing the same annoying problem! Did you connect to wifi via the sony imaging edge software app or just the wifi settings on your phone?

Select the photos I want to transfer on the camera, hit menu, go to the WiFi settings on my phone, pick the camera from the list and then once connected go into the Imaging App and select the camera, they then transfer automatically.

I've found other methods hit and miss.

I did a Muswell Hill pano the other day and it came out bowing in the centre. I thought I could just rely on the in built camera level. So I bought a Neewer panning head with bubble and it's helped get a straighter horizon. It only takes a second to swap between the panning head and my ballhead. I think I'm going to do a night time pano of the same scene later.

Pano From Muswell Hill
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Credit to this must go to the other half. Whilst walking the main path she spotted a bit of autumn colour up above us to the left. I walked up through to take a better look but it wasn't anything worthy of getting the camera out. This scene though was in the almost opposite direction that I was originally looking..... I liked the light & colour from the left, the floor colour & the bit of a vanishing point.

by Lee, on Flickr

I like the way you process your woods and trees photos, definitely a style unique to you. How are you going about it, is mostly a contrast thing? Colours are nice without being saturated nor are they bland. The colours of the ground look nice too. For want of a better description, it's like you're getting a kind of matte finish.

Right. I'm finally sat at the PC with my memory (in my head!) switched on......

The above image is........ custom WB just under 'daylight' & magenta tint to balance the green cast, + exposure, - contrast, very very slight 's' curve including clipping the blacks, slight + vibrance, slight - saturation, colour tweaks to suit (y)

That lens looks really impressive.
Much done in post?

Who was it that was supposed to be getting their A7C today, curious to hear what they think about it.

Me and it's delayed, the French have it :rolleyes:
Should be ready to order mine come pay day. Decided I won't be sending my A7R to MPB their offer was too low, couldn't believe they knock £50 off for no charger.

A7R didn't even come with a charger originally did it?
Yes, just a USB charger though. Couldn't believe it when they said £50.
I mostly charge my camera off my PC so I never kept track of the charger.
Probably sell it on here but the hassle puts me off.

Should be ready to order mine come pay day. Decided I won't be sending my A7R to MPB their offer was too low, couldn't believe they knock £50 off for no charger.
Could you buy a charger yourself and then trade it partially saving the £50 (well the difference between buying a new charger and the £50)? How much will it cost to buy a charger? To be honest if I was buying a camera I’d be put off buying any without a plug in charger. Whilst you can charge off a PC it doesn’t make it easy when you’re away from home.

Right. I'm finally sat at the PC with my memory (in my head!) switched on......

The above image is........ custom WB just under 'daylight' & magenta tint to balance the green cast, + exposure, - contrast, very very slight 's' curve including clipping the blacks, slight + vibrance, slight - saturation, colour tweaks to suit (y)

Thanks Lee. I've never clicked on the custom button before but now I see where it says daylight, cloudy, tungsten and a bunch of others.

Could you buy a charger yourself and then trade it partially saving the £50 (well the difference between buying a new charger and the £50)? How much will it cost to buy a charger? To be honest if I was buying a camera I’d be put off buying any without a plug in charger. Whilst you can charge off a PC it doesn’t make it easy when you’re away from home.
Not going to happen the total money they offered makes it just not worth it.
Do you honestly take your camera charger with you? I've literally never used it, who wouldn't just use the phone charger, it's just a standard micro USB.

I'll be happy if I can get about £300 for it on here, of not I'll keep it for tripod landscapes.

I'll be happy if I can get about £300 for it on here, of not I'll keep it for tripod landscapes.
I got a damn sight more from MPB for my A7R, even though it was care-worn and I was honest about it. Mine just had the original lead in the box. Like Lee, I use a cheap Rav Power charger.

I take a Rav Power charger which charges two batteries at once. I can't remember the last time I used the original charger......
I can recommend RavPower chargers, I have 3, 2 for my Sony bodies and 1 for my field monitor. Very reliable and well made and the ability to charge 2 batteries at the time is a boon especially for my A6500 which eats batteries.

I got a damn sight more from MPB for my A7R, even though it was care-worn and I was honest about it. Mine just had the original lead in the box. Like Lee, I use a cheap Rav Power charger.
Offer was £345 minus £50 for the charger. Well used.

Offer was £345 minus £50 for the charger. Well used.
Put £120 on top is what I got. I too classed it as well-used. Perhaps they’ve now got a surfeit of A7Rs?

PS this was last week. Collected on the Friday, paid last Monday.

Last edited:
I thought sky replacement was going a bit too far but this at least made me smile, but I'll keep my money :D

Definitely next level software :D

Last edited:
I thought sky replacement was going a bit too far but this at least made me smile, but I'll keep my money :D

Definitely next level software :D

Glad to see you back Alan.

My apologies if my little jest offended you mate.

Terry.

I keep telling myself I don't want one and more, I'd hate the handling. But I also know I want one.

I'll be interested to know what you think but didn't you have an A6xxx? If so you'll probably be used to the handling.

My worries are mainly the lack of a front dial and no af/mf/exposure lock button/switch. I also wonder if you can set the shutter to automatically switch between mechanical and electronic if a shutter speed faster than 1/4,000 is needed. You can with my Panasonic cameras so I hope you can with the A7c.

I must be on ignore for Alan so if someone could copy my apology post above I'd be grateful.

Just like him to know I'm not a complete arse all the time.

Terry, you're not ignored, I just don't have the time to read every post so sorry, you haven't been deliberately overlooked or ignored. I'm pretty busy with life and other non forum things at the moment. That's all. There's no hard feelings from me to you or anyone else.

I keep telling myself I don't want one and more, I'd hate the handling. But I also know I want one.

I'll be interested to know what you think but didn't you have an A6xxx? If so you'll probably be used to the handling.

My worries are mainly the lack of a front dial and no af/mf/exposure lock button/switch. I also wonder if you can set the shutter to automatically switch between mechanical and electronic if a shutter speed faster than 1/4,000 is needed. You can with my Panasonic cameras so I hope you can with the A7c.

Yes i had an A6000 and a nex7 (also nex-5n now that body was frustrating with only one dial)

While its less than optimal i can make do with two dials even if they are both thumb dials.
I rarely/never used the exposure lock or the AF/MF (I used switch it on the lens though my current lenses lack it).

So overall I am happy with it, first impressions below....

Can't wait to see what you think, mostly of the EVF. Everything else I know will be fine.

Initial impressions:

while the body is compact its slightly fatter than I expected. not the end of the world but if they gave IBIS a miss for another 100g I would have been happier.
My expectation was such a body was rather low in that a good sensor with the latest AF and this satisfies that.
I am liking the flippy screen and the AF seems to be the best for A7-class i.e. not including A9-class bodies. certainly seems better and touch more reliable than my A7RIV.

The EVF will take some getting used to especially having used the huge 5.6millon dot EVF on the A7RIV. this one really feels like a peep hole!
ergonomics wise I always liked my A6000 apart from lack of forefinger dial so i like this too. less buttons but I like the minimalistic approach. you can reassign the movie button too which is really useful for me as mostly a stills shooter.

the most annoying part of all is can't find a screen protector for the LCD :p

Yes i had an A6000 and a nex7 (also nex-5n now that body was frustrating with only one dial)

While its less than optimal i can make do with two dials even if they are both thumb dials.
I rarely/never used the exposure lock or the AF/MF (I used switch it on the lens though my current lenses lack it).

Initial impressions:

while the body is compact its slightly fatter than I expected. not the end of the world but if they gave IBIS a miss for another 100g I would have been happier.
My expectation was such a body was rather low in that a good sensor with the latest AF and this satisfies that.
I am liking the flippy screen and the AF seems to be the best for A7-class i.e. not including A9-class bodies. certainly seems better and touch more reliable than my A7RIV.

The EVF will take some getting used to especially having used the huge 5.6millon dot EVF on the A7RIV. this one really feels like a peep hole!
ergonomics wise I always liked my A6000 apart from lack of forefinger dial so i like this too. less buttons but I like the minimalistic approach. you can reassign the movie button too which is really useful for me as mostly a stills shooter.

Just buy one by size rather than specifically for the A7C.

Sounds good so far.

Welcome back woof woof!

Initial impressions:

Nice one nandbytes, looking forward to seeing some photos with your new A7C.

When I ordered my a6600 what I really wanted was something more traditional looking, i.e, with the middle hump and viewfinder, more like the a7lll or my Canon. I thought the a6600 or A7C looked a bit toy'ish and point and shoot.

Honestly, I couldn't be happier with it and don't even want a traditional looking camera anymore. I find the EVF is absolutely great, doesn't seem too small to me. And I much prefer the smaller and slimmer feel of it in my hands. I don't even miss the front dial like on my Canon. The controls provided have become very quick, easy and natural to use.

Give it a few days, I think all the little things missing that you would like won't even be an issue and you're going to end up loving your A7C :)

Last edited:
Welcome back woof woof!

Nice one nandbytes, looking forward to seeing some photos with your new A7C.

When I ordered my a6600 what I really wanted was something more traditional looking, i.e, with the middle hump and viewfinder, more like the a7lll or my Canon. I thought the a6600 or A7C looked a bit toy'ish and point and shoot.

Honestly, I couldn't be happier with it and don't even want a traditional looking camera anymore. I find the EVF is absolutely great, doesn't seem too small to me. And I much prefer the smaller and slimmer feel of it in my hands. I don't even miss the front dial like on my Canon. The controls provided have become very quick, easy and natural to use.

Give it a few days, I think all the little things missing that you would like won't even be an issue and you're going to end up loving your A7C :)
I feel the same about the A6500. Getting quite attached to it.

Back