The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

What do you photograph?
I had considered the a7c but the price increase over the a7iii doesn't strike me as a worthwhile step up.

I'll mostly be videoing my kids/pets and some stuff for YouTube, though that shouldn't be too difficult to catch as it'll be mostly static.

Being honest, I'm sure the auto focus of any would be fine. I'm probably closest between the a6400 for the price and the a7iii for the similarity in function and batteries.

I've had problems with skies when using compressed raw that disappeared with uncompressed. Banding etc and less good highlight recovery. I won't use compressed now.

The only time I've seen banding is when posting here or elsewhere or occasionally when going way too far in CS5. Otherwise it's not been a problem for me. If I ever have a camera with uncompressed files I'll give it a good road test and then decide.

I had considered the a7c but the price increase over the a7iii doesn't strike me as a worthwhile step up.

I'll mostly be videoing my kids/pets and some stuff for YouTube, though that shouldn't be too difficult to catch as it'll be mostly static.

Being honest, I'm sure the auto focus of any would be fine. I'm probably closest between the a6400 for the price and the a7iii for the similarity in function and batteries.
What about the a6600?

What about the a6600?
It's very tempting. My dilemma is whether or not I'd regret going for the smaller body size. Price wise the a6600 seems to be close enough to the a7iii but I'd be getting a crop sensor with potentially better focus or a full frame with a few less features such as eye AF in video.

I suppose the question is, which would be more beneficial for video - the full frame or the improved AF? Price being roughly equal.

Hello, just after a bit of help. I'm trying to connect my Samsung note 10 to my A7iii and having issues. Once I scan the QR code on the camera display in the sony imaging app it connects and disconnects straight away, I also can't use the phone to use the NFC feature as it doesn't do anything. Anyone else had the same issue?
Several years back, when I first had my A6000, I had the same issue with a Samsung mobile - it had a feature to auto switch to the best connection for internet - so as soon as it connected to the phone (all NFC does is set up a WiFi connection automatically for you), it detected that there was no internet on that network, and switched away to find a connection that did have internet.
Somewhere in the phone settings was an option to disable this - once I found it, I could connect to my A6000 OK.
It might be the same issue for you - worth checking your settings.

Looking for a bit of advice here.

I've got an a7iii that I use for photography mainly and I'm looking for a second camera for video that I can leave mounted to a gimbal.

My choices are:
Another a7iii - I prefer the feel of the body and know the layout well. Not sure how important this is for a gimbal and exclusive video use.

An a6600 - same battery as the a7iii, flip screen and lighter.

An a6400 - had one before but I didn't really get on with the small size for carrying around. Also the battery life wasn't ideal (though I managed!).

My gimbal is the zhiyun crane 3 LAB.
I use the A6500 mainly for macro and it's the poor battery life that's a constant niggle for me. To have an APSC body with a larger battery would be perfection for me but I simply couldn't justify the extra £'s over the A6500.

I use the A6500 mainly for macro and it's the poor battery life that's a constant niggle for me. To have an APSC body with a larger battery would be perfection for me but I simply couldn't justify the extra £'s over the A6500.
That's what I'm worried about with the a6400. Ideally something like the a7r iv or a7s iii would be within budget but that's not on the cards for the time being!

Ill see what comes up first most likely and go with that. I'm probably leaning with the a7 iii at the moment purely because of the size and already having one. I think I'll cross off the a6400 now though. A few too many compromises!

I just tried 11fps burst speed for the first time and was expecting EVF blackout and I thought only the a9 was blackout free. But it doesn't blackout with the EVF or live viewscreen on continuous shooting HI+. I get an initial blackout for a nano second after pressing the shutter and then the rest is blackout free.

I just tried 11fps burst speed for the first time and was expecting EVF blackout and I thought only the a9 was blackout free. But it doesn't blackout with the EVF or live viewscreen on continuous shooting HI+. I get an initial blackout for a nano second after pressing the shutter and then the rest is blackout free.

It's not blackout free per say it's just showing you the previous shot you took. You can kinda work with it to track but it's not ideal.
Best to use the 8fps with proper live view and blackout.

It's not blackout free per say it's just showing you the previous shot you took. You can kinda work with it to track but it's not ideal.
Best to use the 8fps with proper live view and blackout.
Ok, I'll do that, but I must say, at Hi+ it looks like it's following the action (I'm testing by tracking subjects on youtube videos).

Last edited:
Aloha, been off the forum for a few months. I see the Sony winter cash back is........back. Just wondering if any oe has seen a better price for the A7iii body (£1600 at Very and needs to be one of the supported shops for the cash back)?
  • £1600 for the A7iii body at Very
  • £1440 with Very's introductory 10% discount
  • £1240 with Sony's £200 cash back offer
  • £1080 with Quidco's 10% cash back but this one sounds too good to be true so need to verify

Last edited:
took A7C for a spin yesterday. while LR has preliminary support i.e. it can import the files it hasn't got he camera profile for it yet. but i really enjoyed using the body.

in the meantime also trying out my new 12-24mm f4

50543418383_c781ff3a03_b.jpg

50544140556_85e6691579_b.jpg

Aloha, been off the forum for a few months. I see the Sony winter cash back is........back. Just wondering if any oe has seen a better price for the A7iii body?
  • £1080 with Quidco's 10% cash back but this one sounds too good to be true so need to verify
May I ask how 300mm lens is a 600mm FF equivalent please? I shoot full frame at 42mp and my 600mm on that body is 600mm. Confused [emoji53]

Les ?:)

That's a crazy low price if you can get it. E-Infinity are at £1309.
Just check that Very are a Sony authorised dealer in order to comply with the terms of the cashback.

took A7C for a spin yesterday. while LR has preliminary support i.e. it can import the files it hasn't got he camera profile for it yet. but i really enjoyed using the body.

Looking very promising. I was initially sceptical about this camera, but the more reviews I read and watch, the more I want one. I’ll probably have to wait for the price to ease though, and initially run it in APSC mode. I do know that my 10-18 works fine in this mode from my short time with the (ergonomically-challenged) A7R. Mind you, the kit lens looks good, accepting its aperture constraints.

Aloha, been off the forum for a few months. I see the Sony winter cash back is........back. Just wondering if any oe has seen a better price for the A7iii body?

There is a list of suppliers that you have to buy from to qualify for Sony cash back on their website. Pretty sure that Very isn’t one of them, also Quidco often doesn’t track so I wouldn’t count on that either.

There is a list of suppliers that you have to buy from to qualify for Sony cash back on their website. Pretty sure that Very isn’t one of them, also Quidco often doesn’t track so I wouldn’t count on that either.
Fortunately Very is on their list :) - was weary of the Quidco one (never had an issue with them before but £160 cash back seems a big ask).

So so tempted right now. Have the email from Panamoz confirming the price match with E-infinity.

Anyone smell GAS? :help:
Not really, it has legitimate features I now want over my A7R. Number 1 being AF, second IBS and 3rd AF again because that is a huge deal now. My poor A7R just doesn't stand a chance against the 3 year old.

Last edited:
Hope the A7C gets added to Capture One 20 I really don't want to have to buy 21.

Ooooh! Si thee Mam! If it wasn't for the fact that a) I haven't got any FF lenses, b) I can't afford any, and c) I can't afford the camera, I'd want one.
was just about to ask you whether you fancied an upgrade. Other than the crappy viewfinder, it looks as if it might be your cuppa? It actually looks less ugly than most Sonys as well :) Where's all the lolly you got for your Z6?

was just about to ask you whether you fancied an upgrade. Other than the crappy viewfinder, it looks as if it might be your cuppa? It actually looks less ugly than most Sonys as well :) Where's all the lolly you got for your Z6?
Maybe longer-term. The viewfinder, assuming it's the same as the 6500, isn't that bad. Although obviously not as good as the Z6. Where's the money gone? Lenses and wife appeasement :(

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/thi...ax-k-mount-to-sony-e-mount-autofocus-adapter/

Got quite excited when I saw this then realised reading through that seeing as most of my Pentax glass is K series with a few Tak's and a couple of M series and 1 A series that this is no good to me.
Shame as it would have made my wife very happy, she hates my manual glass, if a photo takes longer than 2 seconds then it is 2 seconds too long :)

It has been months since I have taken a photo, Im really hoping a vaccine comes soon as we are into my favourite time of year for photo's, wet dark nights anywhere urban is my favourite subject, I love cities at night :-(

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/thi...ax-k-mount-to-sony-e-mount-autofocus-adapter/

Got quite excited when I saw this then realised reading through that seeing as most of my Pentax glass is K series with a few Tak's and a couple of M series and 1 A series that this is no good to me.
Shame as it would have made my wife very happy, she hates my manual glass, if a photo takes longer than 2 seconds then it is 2 seconds too long :)

It has been months since I have taken a photo, Im really hoping a vaccine comes soon as we are into my favourite time of year for photo's, wet dark nights anywhere urban is my favourite subject, I love cities at night :-(

Martin,
I don't understand why you are saying this will be no good for your lenses.
The article says it's a K mount adapter, and you've got K mount lenses?
I've also got a collection of K, A, F, & FA lenses and hopefully these will suit.
Am I missing something?
Malcolm

Martin,
I've also got a collection of K, A, F, & FA lenses and hopefully these will suit.
Am I missing something?
Malcolm

A and M series lenses before KAF are not supported by this adapter;

So in other words M/K/A lenses although I don't see why as they are just a manual version of KAF lenses aren't they?

For AF it looks like just screw drive atm with SDM to come later with an update.

Martin,
Am I missing something?
Malcolm
I'm interpreting it as the lens needs to be capable of AF in the first place?

Well i'm doing it, selling my A7R and 24-70 f4. To be replaced with an A7C and still not decided but leaning towards the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 looks a similar size to my Sony but better quality and obviously faster.

MPB wont take the spare batteries and there not expensive/hard to send so let me know if anyone is interested and you can collect (Manchester) you can have them, i have 3x EXpro FW50.

Last edited:
Well i'm doing it, selling my A7R and 24-70 f4. To be replaced with an A7C and still not decided but leaning towards the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 looks a similar size to my Sony but better quality and obviously faster.

MPB wont take the spare batteries and there not expensive/hard to send so let me know if anyone is interested and you can collect (Manchester) you can have them, i have 3x EXpro FW50.

I went with tamron 28-200mm f2.8-5.6 for A7C. Balances nicely. On 24mp it's plenty sharp. Between 28-70mm you have f2.8-4 which is pretty good.
All in all great travel combination. I have samyang 45mm/1.8 as my small travel prime and 12-24mm as my UWA.
Waiting for my tenba DNA8 bag to see if I can fit all this in it. Might go for PD sling... Not sure we'll see... Lol

I know I want one but I'm still pretty sure it'll disappoint and frustrate me. What I really want is a Panasonic GX9 with the A7c sensor :D

I've downloaded the pdf manual and I'm trying to understand what can be customised and what can't so if and when you and nandbytes get to grips with the camera maybe you'll be able to answer some questions? I really don't want to order one only to find I don't like it and have to return it.

Other than that. It's yet another dull, wet, cold and windy day here so no chance of going for a walk with a camera.

Back