The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Just the view out of our bedroom window.

A7 and Minolta Rokkor 85mm f2.

QgzQe8F.jpg

It was positively tropical for recent days so I ran out and mowed the lawns. The wind came up just as I was raking the grass and by the time I made it back inside normal service had resumed and it was dark and raining.

I'm not really a 85mm person but this Rokkor is the best of the film era 85's I've tried. It can't compete with the Sony f1.8 though but maybe in one way it can as the Rokkor may still be usable in another 40 years time whereas the Sony may be but also it may be a paperweight by then.

PS.
Another window view, from last years holiday. A7 and Sony 35mm f2.8 pano. I posted this at the time but it was in my mind as I showed the print to someone yesterday.

ymAXfj3.jpg

Taking pictures through windows (from inside to out) used to be a little project of mine and I used to try and take one everywhere I went.

Last edited:
So I went to Camden Lock just before the weekend and snapped a bunch of photos to kind of document the area and some people, some for aesthetics and some more candid. I'll post a few here and some others later. Hope you enjoy, :)

My tube station there and back, Camden town underground.

Camden Lock itself.

There's a ton of moored barges along the canal at the Lock, fantastic to walk along path next to them.

SSSS..mokin'!

View down the canal in technicolour and B&W.

50558419303_5f4caa2ff0_b.jpg

Oh yeah, and some interesting looking punk. Never mind the bollo.. just take a picture!

OK, I know this is a Sony thread, and therefore would be a little "biased" towards the brand, but does anyone have 1st had experience of the AF performance differences between something like the New Sony A9 II with the 200-600 vs a Nikon D500 with the 200-500 ?

I know we are comparing FF to APS-C, but I'm more interested in if the A9 II is actually that much better than the best of the rest for BIF, tracking etc ?

I had this thought process too. I briefly considered the R5 and 100-500 recently, then saw the price and switched the computer off to go and have a lie down.

I had this thought process too. I briefly considered the R5 and 100-500 recently, then saw the price and switched the computer off to go and have a lie down.

Going by reviews alone, the some of the RF lenses aren't looking so good tbh. the 100-500mm seems to have its problems too.

OK, I know this is a Sony thread, and therefore would be a little "biased" towards the brand, but does anyone have 1st had experience of the AF performance differences between something like the New Sony A9 II with the 200-600 vs a Nikon D500 with the 200-500 ?

I know we are comparing FF to APS-C, but I'm more interested in if the A9 II is actually that much better than the best of the rest for BIF, tracking etc ?

I used to use the D500 with the 200-500 - I now use (very recently) the A7iii with the 200-600mm and IMHO even that is better than the Nikon setup. In that case the A9ii will be better again.

Going by reviews alone, the some of the RF lenses aren't looking so good tbh. the 100-500mm seems to have its problems too.

I've not seen a comparison of the 100-500 vs 200-600 just yet, but the Sony is a decent lens for the money! It's leagues ahead of the Tamron I used to have. I'm waiting for the rumoured Tamron 200-400 f4

^^^ Shame the house is a little hidden in the first one. I'm quite a fan of blurry foregrounds. Not everyone's cup of tea I know.....

I like blurry foreground too. Yeah I though the same about the first one. Might go back and retry it

As I`m going to start using my Sony cameras in doors again, what is the better flash for using on the ones in my signature.

Do what you did with your cameras.....get them all ;)

How do we view your signature when you limit who can see your profile?

Last edited:
New Sigma 85mm art is amazing sharp and surprisingly small!!
If it wasn't for the weight it could easily be mistaken for a f1.8

(phone shot off the back of camera, cba to post processed images from flickr, not that it matters a huge lot since posting kills the sharpness anyway :p )
IMG_20201103_205655.jpg

Last edited:
Personally I'd go with the Godox V860II - it's similar to the V1 in specs, but with a traditional shaped head rather than round, and a bit cheaper as a result.

Lencarta have both that and the V1 on sale at the moment;

https://www.lencarta.com/all-products/speedlite-ving/sony1

Thanks for the heads up, I will have three flashes to play around with now anyway, as already have a Godox 350 and 685 for the Fuji plus I just got a 685 for the Sony. I do like the look of the Lencarta lot though.

I wonder why Sony did a6, a7 and a9 series but no a8 series.

(phone shot off the back of camera, cba to post processed images from flickr, not that it matters a huge lot since posting kills the sharpness anyway :p )
View attachment 297564

I’m waiting for Sigma to re-do their 105mm or 135mm.

I wonder why Sony did a6, a7 and a9 series but no a8 series.

depends on how far back you want to go back. the Alpha or a-series bodies actually originates from their DSLR days and there was a A850 which is a DSLR. A900/A850 were somewhat like the current A7RIV in that it was a really "high res" 24MP FF while nikon was still at 12mp and i think canon were around 21mp (basically whatever your 5Dii is).

Hi All, In the market for a 35mm, whats peoples thoughts/experiences with either lens Sony 35mm f/1.8 vs sigma 35mm f1.4 art

Hi All, In the market for a 35mm, whats peoples thoughts/experiences with either lens Sony 35mm f/1.8 vs sigma 35mm f1.4 art

I have both Sigma has much better image quality but is big, cumbersome and heavy for a 35mm lens. The Sony f/1.8 is small has faster a.f and focuses a lot closer but has nasty bokeh and o.o.f areas are messy.

I've been trying to resist buying an A7c and I might succeed.

One thing that's been annoying me is the lack of an AF/MF/Exposure lock switch and button arrangement but reading the PDF manual I spotted that you can apply a toggle for theses to the buttons in the vertical dial on the back. I tried it with my A7 and it works and I can toggle AF/MF and exposure lock, so that's a good thing.

I really don't like the vertical back dial but when used for shutter speed I wont be fiddling with it a lot so I suppose i could live with it so the only other things worrying me are the inability to move off EFCS, but I mostly use that anyway, and the shutter speed being limited to 1/4,000 which would be a big annoyance for me as I occasionally use wide apertures in good light and fiddling with ND's annoyed me no end with my Panasonic G1. So I'd like to avoid that. I suppose one option is to use the electronic shutter with anti flicker. I do wish that the A7c had the same arrangement as my Panasonic cameras which can be set to auto shutter which uses the mechanical shutter below 1/4,000 and automatically switched to the electronic shutter above.

If any A7c users has stayed awake long enough to read all this maybe they can comment on the shutter and if indeed it is possible to select an auto mode. I don't think so as I can't see it in the PDF but you never know and if using the electronic shutter is the best option for me are there are real drawbacks?

unless you need that f1.4 for shallower DoF get the sony 35mm f1.8 or samyang 35mm f1.8

View attachment 297564

Looks good - it’s on my want list.

I've got a mint Samyang 35mm f1.8 I could put on sale. :beer:

Last edited:
My Nikon 85mm f2 AI-S arrived. It's very compact for an 85mm and it seems to be a very nice lens and sharp enough from f2 with the only issues being that the throw seems quite short which could possibly make focusing a little more fiddly and there's quite a bit of vignetting at f2. Even so, I think this will displace my Rokkor 85mm f2 as my favourite old 85mm.

Back