The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Its definitely a new lens. No GM lens with 67mm filter thread has a round hood. 24GM has a petal hood.
But makes me think its a 50mm or a 85mm replacement rather than a 35mm because 35mm is still wide and normally comes with petal hoods?

It definitely isn't an 85 and I hope it's not a 50, it looks too small to be a 50.

They really need a 35 and I have been waiting on one coming for an age.

It definitely isn't an 85 and I hope it's not a 50, it looks too small to be a 50.

They really need a 35 and I have been waiting on one coming for an age.
What's wrong with the many 35mms that are already available?

What's wrong with the many 35mms that are already available?

The samyang 35's are garbage

The Sony 35 f/1.8 has horrible bokeh

The Sigma 35 f/1.4 is too big

The Sigma 35 f/1.2 is way too big and heavy

The Tamron 35 is an f/2.8 so useless for my purposes

The Distagon has issues with decentering and slow a.f compared to modern lenses

The Sony 35mm f1.8 may not be class leading but IMO it hardly has horrible bokeh. It is IMO just pretty much par for the course for a sharp 35mm and no better. If you want to see truly horrible bokeh look at some of the old film era wide aperture lenses.

The sigma accepts rear filters, so that's an option. Could easily put an ND in for instance, just not that easy to change. I try to limit changing lenses out and about if I can.

I do really like the look of the new Sigma lenses I think I might replace my 35 f2.8 with the f2. But I still want a really fast lens f1.2 preferably at some point for night time use but could replace my 50mm with that option.

But as always what lenses I like the look of is changing daily.

I basically like the following.
1. A walkabout zoom that does a bit of everything, especially useful for holidays.
2. A compact 35 for a small option to a walkabout lens.
3. A landscape lens.
4. A fast night time lens to compliment option 2.
5. A macro lens.

Yes, I forgot that. I never bothered but as you say, it's an option.

I can't see myself ever selling my Sony 35mm f2.8 as it makes for such a small camera and lens combination.

The Sony 35mm f1.8 may not be class leading but IMO it hardly has horrible bokeh. It is IMO just pretty much par for the course for a sharp 35mm and no better. If you want to see truly horrible bokeh look at some of the old film era wide aperture lenses.

I have the lens and it’s my preferred choice at the moment although I have other 35mm lenses, but for me the bokeh is horrible and as soon as the new lens is available I will be in front of the queue to get one.

The ugly rendering in o.o.f focus areas isn’t par for the course at all. The Sigmas are much better as is the Distagon and the Samyangs the Sony is the worst of the lot in this regard.

Last edited:
I have the lens and it’s my preferred choice at the moment although I have other 35mm lenses, but for me the bokeh is horrible and as soon as the new lens is available I will be in front of the queue to get one.

The ugly rendering in o.o.f focus areas isn’t par for the course at all. The Sigmas are much better as is the Distagon and the Samyangs the Sony is the worst of the lot in this regard.

What I should have included in my half hearted attempt above was that the bokeh is about par for the course for a compact sharp 35mm and no better.

Some of the lenses your talking about are wider aperture lenses which would need comparing at apertures the f1.8 can match and some are also much bigger. "Ye cannae change the laws of physics" may apply here and if you want a better rendering compact light and sharp across the frame from wide open close focusing 35mm f1.8 (or there abouts) for this money it may be swings and roundabouts. You may gain better bokeh but lose the compactness or even some sharpness and you may end up with a bigger and heavier lens which might not be nice to cart about all day and might not even focus as fast. The new Sigma f2 might be worth a look but I've read that it's no better in other respects such as flare and ca and the focusing might not be quite as fast.

One problem is that if you overuse "horrible" and I do think that's too strong a word for the Sony 35mm f1.8 what are you going to say about lenses with even less pleasing bokeh? My Minolta Rokkor 35mm f1.8 from the film era and the M and E mount Voigtlander f1.4's spring to mind here.

Last edited:
Hopefully they've fixed the reported variable build and performance of the old 35mm f1.4.

All this talk about 35mm's has got me looking at the Sigma f2 again.

Hopefully they've fixed the reported variable build and performance of the old 35mm f1.4.

All this talk about 35mm's has got me looking at the Sigma f2 again.
The issue I have with the new Sigma is it's neither particular small to replace the Sony 35 f2.8 or particularly fast. I really like the whole concept though.

Is there any rumour of a crop camera with a decent sized body?

The Sony 200-600mm keeps calling me but I would really like to pair it up with a decent spec crop body, the A6*** line is just too small for a big lens imo.

i wouldnt hold my breathe. its taken all the way to the a7r4/a9ii for sony to put proper sized buttons on the camera.

The Sony 200-600mm keeps calling me but I would really like to pair it up with a decent spec crop body, the A6*** line is just too small for a big lens imo.

As far as I am concerned, although I have an a6600, it does feel small but it doesn't feel that much different to using my a7R iv with the FE 200-600.

P1020961.jpgP1020963.jpg

Last edited:

I don't think they'll make one of those. If anything they did exactly the opposite and put the A7 in a A6XXX body.

They kind of have one already, just put the A7RIV in crop mode and you have a 25mp crop body ;)

I think it's utter nonsense when people go on about a lens being too large for a body.
All it means is you hold the lens more than the body.
I'd happily put any size lens on my A7C.

I think it's utter nonsense when people go on about a lens being too large for a body.

That's useful to know, thanks for the input.

When I'm ready to spend a few grand of my hard earned money I'll be sure to take your comments into consideration.

Last edited:
That's useful to know, thanks for the input.

When I'm ready to spend a few grand of my hard earned money I'll be sure to take your comments into consideration.
Do, don't. Irrelevant. But no need to be all sarcastic about it. What is wrong with people really...

Someone's excited. Have to say I think 35 is my favourite focal length.

Last edited:
Personally I disagree. I prefer lenses to be in proportion to the body, even though my holding technique is similar to yours. For me, the A7C is more suited to primes. But that’s why we have choices. :)

Do, don't. Irrelevant. But no need to be all sarcastic about it. What is wrong with people really...

Someone's excited. Have to say I think 35 is my favourite focal length.

I actually am, not been this excited about a new lens for a long time. I use a 35 a lot probably 70% of all my photos are taken with a 35.

What's the chances of seeing an A9iii announcement this week? I assume if there was going to be it would have been leaked already.

What's the chances of seeing an A9iii announcement this week? I assume if there was going to be it would have been leaked already.
Well i hope so it is rumoured and if the specs are good i want one :)
Rob.

Well i hope so it is rumoured and if the specs are good i want one :)
Rob.

I do too, but after sonyalpharumors got pretty much everything wrong with the A9ii I’m not holding my breath but at the same time hope it’s true.

What would everyone want from the next A9?

i use a a6400 with mine and i am used to it now just feels Normal i bought an l bracket of ebay to give the body a bit of depth and it works great. i was going to buy a battery grip but to much faff gwtting the sd card out every time. i to would like a better crop body but dont think it will happen . the major gripe with the a6400 is the shocking battery life

To be honest the price of a lot of cameras is getting ridiculously high unless you can put it to good use in a commercial environment, fat chance of that at the moment.
It's likely to be what £4.5k ? You've got to be very dedicated to your hobby to justify that.

Bird eye AF 40mps and if possible a little less noise, option of 15 fps and perhaps even better AF that would make me get one I love my a9mkII but these specs would be very useful to me.
around £5000 would be good
Rob.

Better Animal/Bird eye AF, better EVF, non-crippled video ie 4K 120 with log, better dynamic range/high ISO performance, new Menu system, better rear screen, say 25fps.

To be honest the price of a lot of cameras is getting ridiculously high unless you can put it to good use in a commercial environment, fat chance of that at the moment.
It's likely to be what £4.5k ? You've got to be very dedicated to your hobby to justify that.

Nothing is cheap these days, times are tough yet people seem to have more money to spend. TBH I'd be happy to spend that as I have a lot planned for this year if we ever get out of this lockdown.

Better Animal/Bird eye AF, better EVF, non-crippled video ie 4K 120 with log, better dynamic range/high ISO performance, new Menu system, better rear screen, say 25fps.

Nothing is cheap these days, times are tough yet people seem to have more money to spend. TBH I'd be happy to spend that as I have a lot planned for this year if we ever get out of this lockdown.
Guess people have saved money on travelling / holidays, be interesting to see how it's priced.

Guess people have saved money on travelling / holidays, be interesting to see how it's priced.

Yup, I've been working from home since last march, it's surprising how much you can save on travel and lunches :) plus every holiday I had booked last year had to be cancelled so I want to make up for it when I can :)

Back