The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Just a simple Close Up/Macro type Snapograph taken in my garden of some Frost Crystals on a leaf.
I've deliberately gone for a higher contrast gritty look to this snap to emphasise the frost textures.

RX10M4, 1/30th @ F5.6, ISO-100, Raynox 250, Tripod.
A Touch Of Frost (2)-03498 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):sony:

George.

Yeah, Wex and all other camera sellers have it at £779 pre order. I won't be buying one at this stage, but at a later stage when they're second hand on MPB or let's say around £600 on e-infin, it would be a very useful lens to have. Does f2.8 on aps-c mean you only get the DOF of f4.5, given the x1.5 crop factor?

Some snaps from today. A7 and Sony 20mm f1.8 + the usual model :D

Here we go... We did just short of 18k steps :D

5NITFWU.jpg

Bank top viewer.

awPEDvV.jpg

Taking it in.

qwVOiZg.jpg

Cold. She said this is the coldest day she's known although she was colder the night a few years ago we went to watch the fireworks.

ThyGHvn.jpg

One last one, f1.8, just because I can :D Nice hat. She's making me one now, mine's green and blue and I'm hoping for a matching scarf :D

mF9knTy.jpg

Oh dear. I see quite bad banding in some of these posted here but not in the originals. Oh well.

Last edited:
Yeah, Wex and all other camera sellers have it at £779 pre order. I won't be buying one at this stage, but at a later stage when they're second hand on MPB or let's say around £600 on e-infin, it would be a very useful lens to have. Does f2.8 on aps-c mean you only get the DOF of f4.5, given the x1.5 crop factor?

Yes, if you go for the same framing DoF is as per the x1.5 crop 2.8 x 1.5 = 4.2 but remember that DoF is also dependant on distance so if you were to take two pictures from the same spot, one FF and one APS-C, because the APS-C picture is effectively a crop of the FF picture the APS-C picture will look as if it has less DoF. So, if you want thin DoF from a smaller format... get the subject big in the frame :D It'll be a different picture from the FF picture but if thin DoF is your aim that's one way to do it :D

Last edited:
Quick thought ....

The main thing I have against the IV is the buffer. Wondering if it fills up slower in crop mode?

Much smaller files - so my guess is yes

I'll check today on mine - that said I never use crop mode- prefer to edit the full frame image and crop in post

like this- using my Sony 200-600mm FE lens

DSC07513 Oh this water IS cold by Les Moxon, on Flickr

Les :)

Much smaller files - so my guess is yes

I'll check today on mine - that said I never use crop mode- prefer to edit the full frame image and crop in post..

I do the same but for air shows I want a large buffer and decent frame rate. If I could have s 24mp file as well then the IV could be ideal after all.

TBH I never gave crop mode a thought with regard to the buffer until now.

:banana::banana::banana: Posted by mistake by Sony Philippines now deleted will go live at 3pm.

35mm.jpg

Last edited:
How does it compare to the ZA 35 f1.4 though that's the real test.
Looks good though. I did say I want a fast 35 at some point.

Not really the ZA35 is pretty ordinary this will be a much better lens.

35GM sample images are available here.

Looks pretty good especially in backlit scenes were the others struggle with C.A.

Last edited:
Think I will get one of these :D

You and me both.

Will probably wait a wee while though, I hate pre-ordering things plus realistically now that most of our weddings for Jan/Feb/Mar have either been postponed or cancelled won't really need it until April.

To be fair I always say that and end up getting sucked in early on.

You and me both.

Will probably wait a wee while though, I hate pre-ordering things plus realistically now that most of our weddings for Jan/Feb/Mar have either been postponed or cancelled won't really need it until April.

That too, there is nothing to use it with at the moment! £15k of paperweight for the pretty part of a year and then some.

That too, there is nothing to use it with at the moment! £15k of paperweight for the pretty part of a year and then some.

Tell me about it :mad:

Thankfully I have been able to receive some decent grants to help cover the loses.

Quick thought ....

The main thing I have against the IV is the buffer. Wondering if it fills up slower in crop mode?
TBH I've never had an issue with buffer, it's writing to the card that's very frustrating as it freezes most of the functions of the camera. For such a tech giant it baffles me they can't/are unwilling to address this. Doesn't this affect all A7 cameras though?

From my experience the smaller the file size the faster the clearing, whether that be crop mode, shooting jpeg, small raw etc.

Hmmm. A quick email to Panamoz confirms they will price match E-infinity on a A7RIV and 200-600mm. I need to look into this more when I get home from work.

Do they make a third party grip for the IV?
I don't know why they don't automatically price match.
Worth it though Panamoz are easier to deal with and have almost legendary customer service. I've had better support from then that any of the UK suppliers.
Ie replies to emails quickly, refunds before you even closer your email down.

You and me both.

and me!!

that thing looks awesome! hopefully the cost won't be much more than the 24GM...

Last edited:
I meant size wise only.
Looks to be another lens to add to my growing list. Be a nice 35 to use when speed is a priority over size Vs the 35 f2.8.

Cost is the only thing that might put me off.

Looks like I have my answer. Difference to the Samyang is amazing.

Maybe difficult to tell as only one there has a hood. Much better to see them all without hoods IMO. I hardly use them. I'll have a look at this at some point but 99% sure I wont buy one. Bigger/heavier lenses don't make a lot of sense to me, not to use on days out and holidays but I can see how a f1.4 might appeal.

Any idea on price yet?

Last edited:
I hate it when they put the hood one one of the lens and not all of them.

Can't make up my mind on which i prefer but I do use the hood a fair bit especially shooting into the light or on bight days in general. so I'd prefer they put the hood on all lenses.
what would be even better is an option to choose with or without hood.

but 100% agree it'd be nice to have it consistent one way or the other.

Superlative resolution in a compact lens
Sony’s advanced optical design and manufacturing technology brings extraordinary resolution, gorgeous bokeh, and precision focus performance to a compact lens that fits comfortably in the palm of your hand, weighing a mere 524 grams and measuring just 76 mm dia. x 96 mm with a filter diameter of Φ67mm. The FE 35mm F1.4 GM boasts advanced optical technology that delivers stunning contrast and superb resolution. Two XA (extreme aspherical) elements effectively maintain superb resolution throughout the image area. The compact 35mm lens is not only mobile and manageable, it performs admirably in difficult lighting. An ED glass element and other optical refinements effectively suppress chromatic aberration and purple fringing for breathtaking results.

Advanced focus for enhanced imagery
Two of Sony’s XD (extreme dynamic) Linear Motors provide the high thrust efficiency needed for precise AF (autofocus) and tracking – resulting in outstanding resolution at any distance. State-of-the-art control algorithms, developed specifically for the XD Linear Motors, improve control response and precision whilst minimizing vibration and noise for fast, smooth and silent AF performance. Advanced focusing can also be achieved when shooting at a high frame rate.

Linear Response MF is ideal for creative focusing effects when shooting video as it ensures the focus ring responds to subtle control when focusing manually. The focus ring rotation translates directly to a corresponding change in focus, so control feels immediate and precise.

Beautiful bokeh for broad expressive capability
The FE 35mm F1.4 GM delivers an almost circular aperture thanks to its 11-blade construction – a rare level of quality for a mobile lens. Painstaking spherical aberration control at both the design and the manufacturing stages contributes to beautiful G Master bokeh that make subjects really stand out.

Two innovative XA elements allow for impossibly impressive close-ups with Smooth, creAmy backgRound bokeh. The combination of F1.4 maximum aperture and the flexibility to choose the perfect shooting distance (minimum focusing distance of just 27cm with a maximum magnification of 0.23x in autofocus mode) allows for ultimate control and stunning bokeh when shooting both stills and video.

Last edited:
Anyone used the Sigma 100-400 ? Thinking of keeping the A9 and getting something I can make use of until I can get back to normal my shooting scenarios.

Any reason you're not using it?

Simply not using any camera gear and haven't for quite some time.
Purchased the lens last July to see if it made me get out more with the camera, but it didn't.
Offered it for sale on here Oct/Nov time but had no interest (possibly because I ddn't want to lose a fortune on what I paid) so it's been in the cupboard since then.

Simply not using any camera gear and haven't for quite some time.
Purchased the lens last July to see if it made me get out more with the camera, but it didn't.
Offered it for sale on here Oct/Nov time but had no interest (possibly because I ddn't want to lose a fortune on what I paid) so it's been in the cupboard since then.
I saw you'd withdrawn it Colin, I might be interested if you reconsidered pricing but respect you don't want to give it away. Let me know if you resurrect the for sale thread.

Anyone used the Sigma 100-400 ? Thinking of keeping the A9 and getting something I can make use of until I can get back to normal my shooting scenarios.
I’m not sure if the E-mount is a newly designed lens or essentially a Canikon with an e-mount adapter on it? If it’s the latter I used the 100-400mm on the D750 and found it to be a good lens. I wouldn’t say it’s stellar in any area but I’d say it’s a solid performer, especially considering the cost and weight.

I’m not sure if the E-mount is a newly designed lens or essentially a Canikon with an e-mount adapter on it? If it’s the latter I used the 100-400mm on the D750 and found it to be a good lens. I wouldn’t say it’s stellar in any area but I’d say it’s a solid performer, especially considering the cost and weight.

Its a newly designed lens which rivals the 100-400GM for IQ. so its very good. the only downside buying it on e-mount is it doesn't support TCs.

Back