The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Superlative resolution in a compact lens
Sony’s advanced optical design and manufacturing technology brings extraordinary resolution, gorgeous bokeh, and precision focus performance to a compact lens that fits comfortably in the palm of your hand, weighing a mere 524 grams and measuring just 76 mm dia. x 96 mm with a filter diameter of Φ67mm. The FE 35mm F1.4 GM boasts advanced optical technology that delivers stunning contrast and superb resolution. Two XA (extreme aspherical) elements effectively maintain superb resolution throughout the image area. The compact 35mm lens is not only mobile and manageable, it performs admirably in difficult lighting. An ED glass element and other optical refinements effectively suppress chromatic aberration and purple fringing for breathtaking results.

Advanced focus for enhanced imagery
Two of Sony’s XD (extreme dynamic) Linear Motors provide the high thrust efficiency needed for precise AF (autofocus) and tracking – resulting in outstanding resolution at any distance. State-of-the-art control algorithms, developed specifically for the XD Linear Motors, improve control response and precision whilst minimizing vibration and noise for fast, smooth and silent AF performance. Advanced focusing can also be achieved when shooting at a high frame rate.

Linear Response MF is ideal for creative focusing effects when shooting video as it ensures the focus ring responds to subtle control when focusing manually. The focus ring rotation translates directly to a corresponding change in focus, so control feels immediate and precise.

Beautiful bokeh for broad expressive capability
The FE 35mm F1.4 GM delivers an almost circular aperture thanks to its 11-blade construction – a rare level of quality for a mobile lens. Painstaking spherical aberration control at both the design and the manufacturing stages contributes to beautiful G Master bokeh that make subjects really stand out.

Two innovative XA elements allow for impossibly impressive close-ups with Smooth, creAmy backgRound bokeh. The combination of F1.4 maximum aperture and the flexibility to choose the perfect shooting distance (minimum focusing distance of just 27cm with a maximum magnification of 0.23x in autofocus mode) allows for ultimate control and stunning bokeh when shooting both stills and video.

so 3.5mm longer and 80g heavier than 24GM.
that's really amazing if it matches the optical performance.

£1500 for the new 35GM cheaper than I expected it to be.

£50-100 more than I hoped for but I was being really optimistic. so yeah not a bad price by any means for such a lens if it delivers on quality.

Another 35mm :rolleyes: :p:ROFLMAO:

That's all we've had lately lol

I don't think I'd initially be tempted. I'd certainly have to see a 35GM vs CV40 comparison first!

That went through my mind. This could potentially replace me Sony 35mm f1.8 and Voigtlander 40mm f1.2. If it's not too big and heavy for me.

I've got way too many film era lenses plus the new Voigtlanders and my Sony lenses and my MTF stuff too. That's way too much. But on the other hand selling stuff doesn't raise any significant amount of money and the often low bids for some kit on here can be disappointing.

Another 35mm :rolleyes: :p:ROFLMAO:

That's all we've had lately lol

I don't think I'd initially be tempted. I'd certainly have to see a 35GM vs CV40 comparison first!

I pay no attention to primes above 1.4 so this is the only new lens anyone has released for the past 12 months to me! :D

I see "new lens for Sony...F.1.8, 2.0 or even 2.8"

/stops reading.

That went through my mind. This could potentially replace me Sony 35mm f1.8 and Voigtlander 40mm f1.2. If it's not too big and heavy for me.

I've got way too many film era lenses plus the new Voigtlanders and my Sony lenses and my MTF stuff too. That's way too much. But on the other hand selling stuff doesn't raise any significant amount of money and the often low bids for some kit on here can be disappointing.

My view is more about the usage thing than cost/value as such. I do enjoy using the CV40 so using the 35GM would have to be just as enjoyable and it would also have to have matching or better rendering (to my eyes)

I have come to the conclusion though that I'm not going to buy an AF 35mm to compliment the CV40. I just think it would be a waste of time and money in all honesty.

Have watched quite a few reviews now the 35GM looks best in class, definitely a must buy for me.

Will try and hold off a little while before parting with my pennies as I won’t need it for a while yet but will definitely be grabbing one when I do.

My view is more about the usage thing than cost/value as such. I do enjoy using the CV40 so using the 35GM would have to be just as enjoyable and it would also have to have matching or better rendering (to my eyes)

I have come to the conclusion though that I'm not going to buy an AF 35mm to compliment the CV40. I just think it would be a waste of time and money in all honesty.

I don't think any AF lens is an enjoyable to use as a manual one but when I'm with other people AF is best as I'm less the geek with the camera holding things up.

Having the kit sat there and not using it does worry me but as I don't get much time to pursue this hobby when I do get the time I like being able to choose the kit that suits me on the day. I might try and sell something, equally I might not.

I saw you'd withdrawn it Colin, I might be interested if you reconsidered pricing but respect you don't want to give it away. Let me know if you resurrect the for sale thread.

Unless I was getting quite close to asking I'd just keep it. It will presumably get used again at some point in the future.

Yes, if you go for the same framing DoF is as per the x1.5 crop 2.8 x 1.5 = 4.2 but remember that DoF is also dependant on distance so if you were to take two pictures from the same spot, one FF and one APS-C, because the APS-C picture is effectively a crop of the FF picture the APS-C picture will look as if it has less DoF. So, if you want thin DoF from a smaller format... get the subject big in the frame :D It'll be a different picture from the FF picture but if thin DoF is your aim that's one way to do it :D

Thanks Alan. (y)

Interesting to note that the launch price of the new 35mm GM in the USA is $1398, equivalent to £1035 @ $1.35 to £1 (Could be local tax on top?).
it’s still substantially cheaper than £1499!

Interesting to note that the launch price of the new 35mm GM in the USA is $1398, equivalent to £1035 @ $1.35 to £1 (Could be local tax on top?).
it’s still substantially cheaper than £1499!

US don’t list tax included so it’s $1398 + tax.

In theory you could import one, pay the £200 or so VAT plus duty and will be about £1300 on your door.

Last edited:
US don’t list tax included so it’s $1398 + tax.

In theory you could import one, pay the £200 or so VAT plus duty and will be about £1300 on your door.
My son, who lives in the USA is visiting us in June :)

Guys, my pc is running out of hd space and ditto my external drives which were just hd's recovered from old pc's so I'm looking at new ones on Amazon.

This 5tb one is cheap...

Is there a catch or is this a decent buy?

Just think... Years ago when I worked for Systime I used to fix CDC SMD's (a removeable pack DD) and it took two of us to lift one. Years later I was working for DPCE when the first Winchester drives landed in the workshop. I think they were 10 and 20mp and used to format down to half that once they were bad tracked. Years later still I ran national contracts on a 286 with a 30mb hdd although the software I used would run from a 1.4mb FD. How times have changed :D

Guys, my pc is running out of hd space and ditto my external drives which were just hd's recovered from old pc's so I'm looking at new ones on Amazon.

This 5tb one is cheap...

Just think... Years ago when I worked for Systime I used to fix CDC SMD's (a removeable pack DD) and it took two of us to lift one. Years later I was working for DPCE when the first Winchester drives landed in the workshop. I think they were 10 and 20mp and used to format down to half that once they were bad tracked. Years later still I ran national contracts on a 286 with a 30mb hdd although the software I used would run from a 1.4mb FD. How times have changed :D

I recently bought one of these as I'd ran out of storage.

It was about £85 though at the time.

These posts always peak my interest then I look then up and find out they're APS-C.
I'd have had that 50 f1.2 otherwise.

Me too- my last lens purchase was the Sigma 24mm f1.4 ART lens- its superb and full frame too :)

Les

This 5tb one is cheap...

I usually buy the 4TB recertified mybooks from WD, usually around £65-£69.

Not used external drives for years now. Just get a cheap NAS.
I use 2x 8tb as the main storage, then a 4tb as a backup for important stuff.

Not used external drives for years now. Just get a cheap NAS.
I use 2x 8tb as the main storage, then a 4tb as a backup for important stuff.

Rob, if you get a minute can you explain that to someone who's avoided most tech for 10 years plus now?

Rob, if you get a minute can you explain that to someone who's avoided most tech for 10 years plus now?
It's kind of like a standalone tiny pc and all it does is manage storage.
It connects via network so plug it into your router.
Mine has space for 4 HDDs. I have 2 set so they both copy each other so that if a drive fails you replace it and it automatically copies everything from the remaining good one.
I have my photos on my pc automatically sync to the NAS.
I then go a step further and have a single HDD that once a week backs up things like photos and documents (things I can't replace) this drive mostly it's powered down so should last a long time and covers me in the rare occurrence both primary drives fail at the same time.

Further to just dealing with my photos, it has all my movies and music on so that any device on the house can access it.
It also records CCTV from a camera.

Mine has space for 4 HDDs. I have 2 set so they both copy each other so that if a drive fails you replace it and it automatically copies everything from the remaining good one.
I then go a step further and have a single HDD that once a week backs up things like photos and documents (things I can't replace) this drive mostly it's powered down so should last a long time and covers me in the rare occurrence both primary drives fail at the same time.

Further to just dealing with my photos, it has all my movies and music on so that any device on the house can access it.
So this is Raid 1 (mirroring)? Can you recommend one, preferably Mac compatible and wireless?

So this plugs into my router and I transfer files from my pc to it wirelessly? Isn't that slower than plugging it into the pc directly?

Years ago there was a programme that only backed up files that were new or had changed, that seemed cut down on the time it took. Is there anything like that today?

Just for fun...

A7 and 20mm f1.8, just to see how it coped. f8 and then f16...

Rn05oE8.jpg

2pUOPoy.jpg

The slight change induced flare but I think that's quite good performance. I'll try some more with the sun in different positions but it didn't seem to be obviously overly prone to flare in earlier pictures.

So this plugs into my router and I transfer files from my pc to it wirelessly? Isn't that slower than plugging it into the pc directly?

Years ago there was a programme that only backed up files that were new or had changed, that seemed cut down on the time it took. Is there anything like that today?
That depends how your pc is connected to the router, cable or wireless.
I get about 120Mb/s over cable which is gigabit.
No experience of wireless as I avoid it where possible.

You would only notice the speed when you first transfer everything after that it's all done automatically in the background you'll never need to do anything.
It would monitor for changes and transfer anything that's changed only.

Here's one for example.

Last edited:
I suppose people looking at the new 35mm f1.4 have already read this review...

I'm surprised at the vignetting. Will that be a problem for professional and demanding amateurs?

PS.
How about the focus breathing for video use?

Last edited:
I suppose people looking at the new 35mm f1.4 have already read this review...

I'm surprised at the vignetting. Will that be a problem for professional and demanding amateurs?

PS.
How about the focus breathing for video use?

It isn't much worst than the venerable canon 35mm f1,4 Lii at f1.4 and f2.
What's disappointing slightly is that the canon improves massively past f2.8 but the sony not as much.

Back