The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Got to wait and see how much the lenses cost.

You don't have to buy expensive lenses.
50mm f1.7 = £15.
28mm f2.8 = £20.

Waiting for a nice FF CSC I have ... 24mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8, 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f2, 135mm f3.5, 50mm f2.8 macro.

I haven't totted the total cost up but I'll be safe to say that all of those lenses could be bought for the price of one good AF DSLR lens :D I have the 85mm f2 on my G1 at the moment and it's a very good lens for a fraction of the cost of a Canon 85mm f1.8 and it's a lot more compact.

Prices are up at WEX, £1300 for A7 body and £1700 for A7R. Not bad, going to wait for some reviews.

Also at Wex, A7 body with 28-70mm Lens is £1549.00

That's a lot better than I was expecting.

Park Cameras have the A7 at £1299, the A7R for £1799, and the A7 kit for £1,669.00.

Edit: the A7 body is the same price as the Olympus OM-D E-M1 (!)

Last edited:
I am quite liking the look of it,weather its the camera i want to replace my Nikon D700,still not 100% sure yet :)

It's looking very tempting, for me it's going to depend on street price after Christmas and the cost of m42 and QBM adapters. The Sony proprietary glass range is looking restrictive, at least for the early days. But one decent mid-range zoom would be all I needed.

The shutter speed spec has me slightly concerned, a maximum 30 second exposure with no indication of bulb mode in the specs I've read. I like to dabble in long exposures and welding glass filters.

Anyone want to make an offer on a 40D and lenses? ;)

It's looking very tempting, for me it's going to depend on street price after Christmas and the cost of m42 and QBM adapters. The Sony proprietary glass range is looking restrictive, at least for the early days. But one decent mid-range zoom would be all I needed.

The shutter speed spec has me slightly concerned, a maximum 30 second exposure with no indication of bulb mode in the specs I've read. I like to dabble in long exposures and welding glass filters.

Anyone want to make an offer on a 40D and lenses? ;)

Same here all i need is a decent mid range zoom :)

)

Can you explain how you will manually focus to get pin sharp images? I know it's easy with live view on tripod, or with optical split screen... No AF is somewhat big price to pay to me

Can you explain how you will manually focus to get pin sharp images? I know it's easy with live view on tripod, or with optical split screen... No AF is somewhat big price to pay to me

It's easy with a magnified view. I do it all the time. Try it :D

When using my G1 I can pick my point of focus along the length of an eye lash and assuming this new Sony has a magnified view available the same will be possible.

Last edited:
Sony has focus peaking as well as magnified view (in the vf and on the rear lcd screen) - the latter for more precise focusing and the former for everything else (when you have a wider depth of field). Saying that I went down the whole legacy lenses and manual focusing route with my Nex 5 and while it was fun at first the novelty wore off after a while. :)

I have always been a Sony user, never used a Canon or Nikon.

This camera looks excellent but I was thinking of getting the Canon 6D before this was announced.

Could I have peoples honest opinion, should I get this over the 6D?

I am currently an Alpha A77 user.

The 6D is a conventional DSLR, this new Sony is a CSC with EVF. There's also the range of lenses and accessories to think about.

Personally I'm looking to move away from DSLR's to a smaller system.

The 6D is a conventional DSLR, this new Sony is a CSC with EVF. There's also the range of lenses and accessories to think about.

Thats what I am thinking too, do you (or anyone) believe that the image quality of the A7 is as good or better than the 6D or other FF cameras?

The only thing putting me off with the A7 at the moment is the lack of UWA lenses which is primarily what I shoot at.

Same here,i have to face facts i just cant lug around an full DSLR kit anymore,i don't drive so if i want to take my kit out its all leg power :)

Thats what I am thinking too, do you (or anyone) believe that the image quality of the A7 is as good or better than the 6D or other FF cameras?

The only thing putting me off with the A7 at the moment is the lack of UWA lenses which is primarily what I shoot at.

I guess we'll have to wait for the reviews. If it helps at all...

At low to medium ISO's my old crappy G1 produces images that are easily lost amongst 5D images and it's only at the higher ISO's that the 5D shows a clear lead and I'd imagine that the difference will be even less with today's cameras and that you'll have to look very very closely to see any difference so image quality doesn't really worry me and personally I'll choose any new camera more on features than image quality and with that in mind the only real thing I'd worry about with the new Sony is the performance of the EVF. Personally I think this (the VF) is the biggest difference between the cameras apart from size and weight. The Canon is a DSLR with an OVF, the Sony has an EVF.

There are people on this forum who appear to be extremely passionate about their OVF's whereas others, like me, see the advantages EVF's offer such as WYSIWYG and an in view histogram which is something, IMVHO, that's absolutely wonderful and has increased my first shot keeper rate significantly.

So, if you are a new technology EVF lovin' guy you may just love the new Sony. If however they'll have to prise the last OVF on Earth from you dying fist then you'll need the Canon.

Same here,i have to face facts i just cant lug around an full DSLR kit anymore,i don't drive so if i want to take my kit out its all leg power :)

The first time I took my G1 out instead of my DSLR I actually had to keep checking that it was still in the bag and hadn't fallen out... such is the weight difference.

Another big factor for me is that a big fat DSLR and big fat lens attracts a lot more attention than a weeny looking CSC.

Cheers for the information. Yeah I agree with waiting for the reviews.

I have noticed another problem with the A7 is the lack of wireless remotes, I can't seem to find any decent ones out there. (that work like NEX series)

None of the NEX cameras have wired to wireless remotes only IR. Bit of a pain when doing long exposures and you want to dial in the time, also you have to point the IR remote at the front of the camera. Not sure if the Sony app will get round this.

Not sure if the Sony app will get round this.

I believe so.

http://www.techradar.com/news/photo...irst-full-frame-compact-system-camera-1189812

TechRadar said:
Both of the cameras are also equipped with Wi-Fi and NFC technology, along with the capability for Sony PlayMemories apps. A new app has also been announced today, the Multiple Exposure app which automatically composites exposures.

Other apps are pre-installed on the camera, including 'Smart Remote Control' which allows for control from a smartphone or tablet.

PlayMemories free app for remote control

https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/usbdetail.php?eid=IS9104-NPIA09014_00-F00002

There's a bunch of others, such as an intervalometer (time lapse) available for purchase and for free.

The first time I took my G1 out instead of my DSLR I actually had to keep checking that it was still in the bag and hadn't fallen out... such is the weight difference.

Another big factor for me is that a big fat DSLR and big fat lens attracts a lot more attention than a weeny looking CSC.

Very true about attracting attention a few times i have been stopped by security staff about taking photos when using my D700/D3 when i asked why me when a lot of other people were shooting with cameras,i was told because it looks like your a pro,and you need permission to shoot commercial stuff.

:)

Bloke on Dyxum reckons the EVF is better than the A99's.
Did they grab the Olympus' new one? (along with some processing, etc)

I want one, if it shows itself robust enough for good used sales next year.
Slap on my favourite old 45/50mm and Bob's yer uncle. Budget M9+!

It looks good too.

Also at Wex, A7 body with 28-70mm Lens is £1549.00

That's a lot better than I was expecting.

Park Cameras have the A7 at £1299, the A7R for £1799, and the A7 kit for £1,669.00.

Edit: the A7 body is the same price as the Olympus OM-D E-M1 (!)

Prices do look a tad better than expected, the E-M1 is a lovely feature packed camera, but looking expensive compared to the new Sony's. I expect Olympus will need to drop prices quicker than they have previously

The new Sony's definitely look interesting and could well have a nice effect on camera pricing of some other brands.

However, what's with the thread title? Jobbie's another word for $h@*, and I don't think they're that bad tbh. ;)

Has anyone tried to buy from Sony direct, it says £1699 and then in basket its £1829

I think I'll wait and see what the price is in the Onestop Digital basket, or the street price once it hits the shelves. Preordering at list price is strictly for those that feel the need to be at the bleeding edge.

If I decide to go for one of these I'll wait until the new year. The price may drop a little... plus they're supposed to be bringing out another or possibly another couple of FF cameras so it'll be interesting to see what they are first before jumping.

PS. Plus, if there are any little niggles maybe they'll have sorted them out in a few months.

I have always been a Sony user, never used a Canon or Nikon.

This camera looks excellent but I was thinking of getting the Canon 6D before this was announced.

Could I have peoples honest opinion, should I get this over the 6D?

I am currently an Alpha A77 user.
Think that it will depend on what you like to shoot.
If you want to do sports/action then I suspect that a DSLR/SLT (don't forget the A99, there was one on the outlet for £1379) will still be best.
For landscape etc. the Sony will probably produce better files given equivalent lenses.

Bloke on Dyxum reckons the EVF is better than the A99's.
Did they grab the Olympus' new one? (along with some processing, etc)
the Olympus EM-1's is an Epson unit & it has been suggested that Sony are using the same one in the A7.

Hands-on field test by The Camera Store TV, I really like these guys reviews so interesting to see what they make of it. Apparently AF is still on a par with the NEX-6 according to one of the reviewers replying to a comment (I havent watched the review yet) which is interesting but disappointing!

[youtube]bnvgceTEV3c[/youtube]

EDIT - I see this got posted on the previous page now, ignore me :p

Last edited:
Prices do look a tad better than expected, the E-M1 is a lovely feature packed camera, but looking expensive compared to the new Sony's. I expect Olympus will need to drop prices quicker than they have previously

To be honiest I think it was a bit overpriced even before the Sony when you compare it to the GH3. In both cases you are dealing with what look like more pro speced camera's than the A7 in terms of controls/grip though

Again though for me this is a very different market to cheaper bodies were buyers can be drawn in purely by body price/specs, lens range and cost is surely going to come into most peoples thinking.

Personally I think Sony taking its NEX like "cheap body/expensive lens" sales tactics to an extreme might actually do more harm than good. Not only are FF buyers likely to see though it but the overpricing is going to be more obvious with fewer specs. You compare say the 35mm with the latest Canon , you pay over £300 more for the Sony for a lens that's a stop slower with no IS.

The new Sony's definitely look interesting and could well have a nice effect on camera pricing of some other brands.

However, what's with the thread title? Jobbie's another word for $h@*, and I don't think they're that bad tbh. ;)

I didn't realise it meant that. Its also used as another word for 'thingy' as far as I know.

Personally I like the thread title, very British.

Bloke in the Sony shop today was very excited but they won't even tell him when they're getting supplied. :(
I ordered a NEX adapter for my LTM lenses already ...

Back