The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

As you're a fan of manual lenses, and macro tends to be MF anyway - that Bokina I bought it seriously impressive if you can get hold of one. Sharp enough to cut yer finger and lovely to use too, bit weighty but not unmanageable.

I wouldn't mind one of those but the 50mm appeals to me as it'd be ok as a walkabout lens that'd allow me to shoot any little interesting things I see... I don't seem to be able to pass a flower, leaf or thing without taking a picture of it. The bokina would make a great macro lens for me but it'd be a bit long as a walkabout.

I do actually have a manual 50mm f2.8 macro, I tend to use it on MFT for an equivalent FoV of 100mm.

I'm still thinking about the FE 50mm macro but I've had a busy day so didn't get to think much.

Possibly the 35mm f2.8. It's been a favourite since I got it.

Just planning a trip to Thailand in April to GF's big family do and to "make merit." I just took the A7 and 35mm f2.8 last time and did fine so may do so again or might just take the 55mm f1.8 for low light shooting.

Possibly the 35mm f2.8. It's been a favourite since I got it.

Just planning a trip to Thailand in April to GF's big family do and to "make merit." I just took the A7 and 35mm f2.8 last time and did fine so may do so again or might just take the 55mm f1.8 for low light shooting.
If I was to buy into the Sony system and wanted the best possible size/weight vs. image quality ratio it would be those two lenses. FE 35mm f2.8 and FE 55mm f1.8 :)

anyone any experience of a minolta 24mm or canon fd 24mm? I'm looking for a cheap wide option that is also high quality (if there is such a thing).

on a side note I'm very very impressed with the sigma mc11 adapter and the the 35mm art lens. haven't run any fw updates on either the adapter or camera yet but the focus speed is better than i was expecting.

thanks.

I have the 49mm diameter Minolta Rokkor 24 f2.8, it was one of the reasons I bought into Minolta's. I also have a Zuiko 24mm f2.8. Anyway, there are a couple of different versions of the Minolta lens, the 49mm I have and a 55mm too. Both AFAIK have a similar "floating element" whatever than means. There's a write up on Rokkor files...

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/24mm.html

That guy mentions the front rotating and the lens pictured is the 55mm version, my 49mm lens doesn't have a rotating front.

I read somewhere that some think this is the best 24mm design ever made but I don't know which version that claim is for and I don't believe it anyway as doubtless modern high quality "Art" type lenses will blow it away. It may hoverer be a classic design :D and from what I remember Leica rebadged a version of it.

I'd say that my Rokkor is better than my Zuiko. I don't have a 24mm FD, I stopped at the 28mm f2.8 with FD's.

I've posted a few pictures taken with the Minolta in this thread but no doubt it'll be a PITA to find them. Or maybe not...

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/the-glorious-a7-but-its-all-good-thread.511885/page-279

I've taken quite a few pictures with this 24mm but of course as there's no exif it's down to memory and I can't always remember what I used... I only remember these pictures because I posted them here.

My review...

It's a good enough lens and better than the more compact Zuiko. It's sharp enough without too many optical nasties and whilst almost certainly not up to comparison with modern Sigma Art type and similar lenses it's perfectly usable for real word shooting and even closer viewing on screen.

Last edited:
I have the 49mm diameter Minolta Rokkor 24 f2.8, it was one of the reasons I bought into Minolta's. I also have a Zuiko 24mm f2.8. Anyway, there are a couple of different versions of the Minolta lens, the 49mm I have and a 55mm too. Both AFAIK have a similar "floating element" whatever than means. There's a write up on Rokkor files...

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/24mm.html

That guy mentions the front rotating and the lens pictured is the 55mm version, my 49mm lens doesn't have a rotating front.

I read somewhere that some think this is the best 24mm design ever made but I don't know which version that claim is for and I don't believe it anyway as doubtless modern high quality "Art" type lenses will blow it away. It may hoverer be a classic design :D and from what I remember Leica rebadged a version of it.

I'd say that my Rokkor is better than my Zuiko. I don't have a 24mm FD, I stopped at the 28mm f2.8 with FD's.

I've posted a few pictures taken with the Minolta in this thread but no doubt it'll be a PITA to find them. Or maybe not...

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/the-glorious-a7-but-its-all-good-thread.511885/page-279

I've taken quite a few pictures with this 24mm but of course as there's no exif it's down to memory and I can't always remember what I used... I only remember these pictures because I posted them here.

My review...

It's a good enough lens and better than the more compact Zuiko. It's sharp enough without too many optical nasties and whilst almost certainly not up to comparison with modern Sigma Art type and similar lenses it's perfectly usable for real word shooting and even closer viewing on screen.

Cheers Allan, I'll do some research.

Ill have a read of that review of the 55 on the A7 as I'd consider an A7 to replace me A7II to free up some money if the difference was worth it

I know people say lenses are more important than the camera but I am about to order a second a7ii as a backup to my other one. I rate the camera that much, I've sold a 5d3 because I would always be gutted if a shot was taken on the canon instead of the Sony. Now I can have 2 cameras set up with different lenses on but get identical usability and iq.

What I'm saying is I could have bought an a7 as a backup but didn't because whilst the iq is the same and it's lighter I prefer the size, the ibis and importantly the fixed light leak issue and body mount issue if the a7ii over the a7. Worth reading up on if you are considering that change..

Well here's a bit of a shock... to me at least...

The rumour site is reporting a 90% chance of amongst other things a "budget" 85mm FE.

Wowza.

I suppose "budget" could be something around the £600 mark or even more... Time will tell but all those 85mm legacy lenses I have could be replaced. Maybe. :D

Here it is...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/expect-upcoming-sony-announcements/#disqus_thread

below £500 would be nice. although there is a g master 85mm for £1000 in the classifieds.. thats a pretty good deal considering the cost of a new one.

I think the Zeiss 24-70mm f4 I have at the moment may go up for sale, as I'm really liking these primes. The 85 could be a good should as well as the 28 or 35 which I hear gets rave reviews!

Would anyone be interested in FD 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8 and a Novoflex adapter? I'm thinking of selling as I have too manual manual lenses and selling these would still leave me with a full set of Zuiko's and Rokkors.

I think the Zeiss 24-70mm f4 I have at the moment may go up for sale, as I'm really liking these primes. The 85 could be a good should as well as the 28 or 35 which I hear gets rave reviews!

The 35 1.4 is beautiful. Really well made and just feels quality in the hands. I went with the sigma art option this time though as it's half the price and also renders wonderfully.

**edit - sorry just realised you were responding re woof woofs post

Last edited:
Would anyone be interested in FD 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8 and a Novoflex adapter? I'm thinking of selling as I have too manual manual lenses and selling these would still leave me with a full set of Zuiko's and Rokkors.

Potential interest in the 28mm. Although it may not be wide enough for me. I'd want something for landscape. Tempted on a 24-70f4 which could cover the odd bit of wide stuff

I'd want to sell them as a complete set as splitting them and packing and paying the extra postage and faffing on means that they're pretty much not worth selling.

The 35 1.4 is beautiful. Really well made and just feels quality in the hands. I went with the sigma art option this time though as it's half the price and also renders wonderfully.

**edit - sorry just realised you were responding re woof woofs post

Hey jump in, why not, all good to hear different peoples inputs! I never thought of the Sigma ART option so I'm glad you mentioned it! I'll take a look :) thank you.

The 24-70 is a lovely lens, if you're thinking of getting one. I'm putting mine up for sale this week I believe so will keep you posted!

cheers chaps. wouldn't mind going back with a speedlight off camera. its incredibly difficult to photograph children when on your own.

Well I might be, otherwise am looking for a Batis 85mm, probably instead of my sigma 35 Art and 85mm for nikon. I am probably going to sell the nikon gear (again) for better glass for the sony.

I've got a sigma art 35 1.4 on the Sony and it's a superb combo iq wise. I'm a little uncomfortable with that much weight hanging off the e mount though...should I be or is it in my head?!

I've got a sigma art 35 1.4 on the Sony and it's a superb combo iq wise. I'm a little uncomfortable with that much weight hanging off the e mount though...should I be or is it in my head?!

pop on a 3rd party battery grip and it balances out really well.

Even at this reasonable price for the 85mm (I suppose it is reasonable) it'll be best to wait for the reviews.

I remember my Sigma 85mm f1.4, it was a very good lens, but I didn't use it a lot as I tend more towards 35-50mm and I have 3 manual 85's for occasional use.

If this FE 85mm is any good I think it'll sell very well.

One thing with the Batis is the bokeh / cats eye thing, bit marmite IMO.

Last edited:
Even at this reasonable price for the 85mm (I suppose it is reasonable) it'll be best to wait for the reviews.

I remember my Sigma 85mm f1.4, it was a very good lens, but I didn't use it a lot as I tend more towards 35-50mm and I have 3 manual 85's for occasional use.

If this FE 85mm is any good I think it'll sell very well.

One thing with the Batis is the bokeh / cats eye thing, bit marmite IMO.

I think the cats eye bokeh works better when the background is naturally lit - for example light through trees. Does give a nice swirly look.

Back