The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

it would be a pretty big balls up if its not weather sealed. and I'm really unsure why its not been mentioned on the spec list that it is....which would worry me a little if i were in the market for one.

Original a7 was supposedly, they dropped that feature when people were having issues. I'm sure it has some level of dust and moisture protection though.

Agree, looks like aimed at sports guys. I can;t see sports shooters choosing this over Canicon without weather sealing though?

I guess it depends on whether it does have weather sealing. If it does, I think with the silent shooting it could be a big hit. If it doesn't it would be a liability and hardly a pro choice.

Electronic shutter isn't the holy grail, there's no flash, rolling shutter, distortion and additional sensor noise. Depends on how they deal with all that. Loads of cameras have had it for years.

Original a7 was supposedly, they dropped that feature when people were having issues. I'm sure it has some level of dust and moisture protection though.

I'm sure it does. what i'd hope and expect from the a9 would be weather sealing to a level that is similar to its competitors. anywho - it matters not to me, i won't be getting one..

heres a shot from the not forgotten a7rii and 55mm

she's got the look by Jonathan Howes, on Flickr

So is anyone here tempted by the A9?

To me it doesn't look the whole package. A A6300 type release.

My reasons are the single fast card slot, kind of expected 4k at 60fps at minimum, and the lack of weather sealing. Is this just me?
I'm tempted

Just noticed why did they not used USB-C in this?

It seems weird considering they put in the new SD card slow but go to micro USB.

Interesting glimpse of the future. Silent shooting with near global shutter will be a game changer and will initiate a switch of systems eventually for pros in many industries.

Maybe not with the a9, but after a few illiterations and with CaNikon not really moving forward it will be interesting to see how things pan out.

I think it's some way off a truly global all-electronic shutter though - hence the mechanical shutter for x-sync. We'll see. The game-changing moment will be when that's no longer necessary, creating a solid-state camera, and that will be the beginning of the end for DSLRs.

I would like to think/hope that Canikon is well aware of what's in the pipeline, and are just keeping their powder dry for now. It all hinges around sensor development, so Canon with their own sensor tech are maybe better placed than Nikon who seem to be increasingly dependent on Sony. Canon actually already has a global shutter in one of their video cameras (though expensive). Despite the gloom and doom around the camera market ATM, these are exciting times :)

Quote from the DPReview hands-on..

"As you can see, the doors aren't especially substantial, which is presumably why Sony isn't making particularly strong claims about weatherproofing."

:D

I would like to think/hope that Canikon is well aware of what's in the pipeline, and are just keeping their powder dry for now...

Why hope that? I suppose an existing investment in lenses is the reason but I do hope brand snobbery isn't in there somewhere. Other than that I couldn't give a flying who makes the kit and if at some point in the future adapted lenses can work seamlessly hopefully we can leave even any hint of brand snobbery behind and just pick the best thing to mount our lenses on no matter who makes it.

Why hope that? I suppose an existing investment in lenses is the reason but I do hope brand snobbery isn't in there somewhere. Other than that I couldn't give a flying who makes the kit and if at some point in the future adapted lenses can work seamlessly hopefully we can leave even any hint of brand snobbery behind and just pick the best thing to mount our lenses on no matter who makes it.

Quite right, I'd rather manufacturers continued to innovate, whoever they are. That said, i think we're already at a level where a new camera with new features is unlikely to improve my photography :D

Quite right, I'd rather manufacturers continued to innovate, whoever they are. That said, i think we're already at a level where a new camera with new features is unlikely to improve my photography :D
I agree that innovation is a must to keep sales going, Sony has made it clear that its going straight for the professional DSLR market and rightly so as that's where the money is.
This should force Nikon and Canon into action which will hopefully stimulate innovation, this will then most likely push Fuji and others to do the same. Fuji are already talking about a pro level XT body (£2-3k approx.).

For a basic Sony A9 sports setup you are looking at a cool £8-10k worth of investment so the market is very niche!

I believe any good photographer/professional can take great action images with most of the modern day camera's, a lot of the sales come from clever marketing and numbers.

I will be testing out the Sony A9 as soon as my local dealership gets one in :D :eek:

Last edited:
I long ago gave up any hope of improving my photography.

A7 and 35mm f2.8 does a very hot and humid Thailand with the soon to be Mrs woof woof.

Last edited:
Great images... for me the perfect light/small FF setup is still the original Sony A7, 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8.... its proper small! :)
For the big G Master lenses you need the MKII bodies with the grip, those lenses are massive!

Love this place...

One from the car...

Last edited:
What "Mr woof woof"? ;)

At the mo she tends to call me "Pervert" as I spend a lot of time hanging around outside the ladies toilets... the fact that I'm waiting for her is conveniently forgotten.

PS.
Not Sony related but I bought a 1" compact and WoW! Things are certainly moving on. It's only real problem is the aperture range but for good light shooting I think it would satisfy many keen photographers as a travel camera. The compact and my A7 made a great little kit and both fitted in a small man bag I bought at the floating market, my GF is a great haggler :D

And a PPS.
Buddha's seem to have disappeared from the shops, maybe part of a crackdown to stop inappropriate use. There were big posters stating that disrespecting Buddha is illegal and that Buddha must not be use for decoration so anyone wanting little souvenirs has to make do with elephants or summot.

Last edited:
Why hope that? I suppose an existing investment in lenses is the reason but I do hope brand snobbery isn't in there somewhere.<snip>

No brand snobbery or investment concerns at all. I simply want a healthy camera market with all manufacturers competing, and not have Sony run away with a monopoly. The shape of the future centres on sensor development, as demonstrated by the A9, and Sony currently controls that with Nikon seemingly in their pocket. That's not good for anyone except Sony.

No brand snobbery or investment concerns at all. I simply want a healthy camera market with all manufacturers competing, and not have Sony run away with a monopoly. The shape of the future centres on sensor development, as demonstrated by the A9, and Sony currently controls that with Nikon seemingly in their pocket. That's not good for anyone except Sony.
Canon make decent sensors now

Sony have publically stated that they will not hold back sensors from competitors and keep them for Sony's own in-house camera's.
The Sensor business needs to make money and selling sensors to competitors is good.
They are going to supply sensors to whoever wants them, however Sony controls supply and pricing!
It wont be long before Nikon, Fuji etc start developing their down sensors to cut costs in the long-term.

Sony have publically stated that they will not hold back sensors from competitors and keep them for Sony's own in-house camera's.
The Sensor business needs to make money and selling sensors to competitors is good.
They are going to supply sensors to whoever wants them, however Sony controls supply and pricing!
It wont be long before Nikon, Fuji etc start developing their down sensors to cut costs in the long-term.

Pretty sure Nikon and Sony have now cut ties

Doesn't surprise me, bet Sony was charging a fortune for Nikon's Sony supplied sensors :D
Isn't the Nikon D4/5 sensor made solely in house by Nikon? If so its a good sensor.
i thought Nikon didn't produce any solely in house sensors?

the Sony A9's 20 fps no EVF black statement is as it says.... no black out at all, just smooth motion.. EPIC :D imagine how long it will add to post-processing...... :eek:

Yea give third party a trimmed down sensor and leave all the bells and whistles on Sony camera only. Just like in f1 how Mercedes sell there engines to other teams

I remember going out with 220 roll film in my Mamiya 7 and cursing not finishing it off !

I'm still wondering if there's that many people who need to machine gun at 20 fps?!
I can see it being useful for sports, and possibly wildlife... but jeez - your keeper percentage would be tiny, all that reviewing, rejecting and comparing shots 1/20th of a second apart, not for me thanks.

You're petty much shooting at animation speeds, it's crazy.

And still no ISO dial, but nice they have a joystick ;)

I am hoping Fuji steal some idea's from the A9 for their next body.
Better EVF, touchscreen, no LCD/EVF black out and better AF incl Eye-AF in AF-C.

Back