The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I plan to do more sports this year. i wish this camera was out before May as im off to shoot the f1 in barcelona with my 5d4 instead

But aren't you just shooting the cars from the stands? Unless you've got a trackside pass and are looking to sell your shots professionally I do struggle to see why the 5D4 or the 7Rii can't deliver?

Edit - Not that either of those cameras can't deliver the results trackside either!

Last edited:
But aren't you just shooting the cars from the stands? Unless you've got a trackside pass and are looking to sell your shots professionally I do struggle to see why the 5D4 or the 7Rii can't deliver?

Edit - Not that either of those cameras can't deliver the results trackside either!
A7r2 can't as it's too slow. My old 5d3 was a bit slow too.

Let's all be honest here. Any a7 series camera is overkill for all of us. We could take decent shots with our phones!

A7r2 can't as it's too slow. My old 5d3 was a bit slow too.

Let's all be honest here. Any a7 series camera is overkill for all of us. We could take decent shots with our phones!

Yeah, tbh the pros have been struggling for years. You can get amazing motorsport shots with the most basic kit. Cars are predictable.

How is the a7 series lighter when I have to also add an adaper for my most used lens and more batteries? The native lenses also generally weigh more than the canikons.

Easier to use? How so?

D700 is a beast. They don't make dslr's like that anymore
I miss this body so much after swapping to a7r. Sensor and size are now better but D700 was way better overall. Buttons layout, functions, menu etc. A7r feels like there was no any r&d done on user interface and buttons... I feel so stupid after spending so much on something that gives me much more hassle. Even stupid grip for £200 is so poorly and stupidly made...
But enoug bad, sensor is amazing and biggest problems is me being lazy, D700 was so easy to use...

Pre-order price confirmed as £4499 for the Sony A9 and £2499 for the new FE 100-400 GM.
£399 for the Grip!

Sony's trade-in pricing for the current A7 bodies is shocking in my opinion!

Trade-In Model Trade-In Value Trade-In Bonus
Sony Alpha a7 £320 £50
Sony Alpha a7R £400 £60
Sony Alpha a7S £400 £60
Sony Alpha a7 Mark II £600 £80
Sony Alpha a7R Mark II £1,300 £100
Sony Alpha a7S Mark II £1,300 £100

Pre-order price confirmed as £4499 for the Sony A9 and £2499 for the new FE 100-400 GM.
£399 for the Grip!

Sony Alpha a7 £320 £50
Sony Alpha a7R £400 £60
Sony Alpha a7S £400 £60

I think the price of the camera is probably about right- and by September it'll be £4K grey.

Those trade in values though! And lol at the battery grip.

Park Camera's are doing a further £199 discount if you buy with certain lenses.
A basic Sony A9 setup won't be cheap though..... I consider the Sony G Master lenses as must haves :D
85mm f1.4 GM
24-70mm f2.8 GM
70-200mm f2.8 GM

£399 for the Grip!

Sony Alpha a7 £320 £50
Sony Alpha a7R £400 £60
Sony Alpha a7S £400 £60

I can almost accept the price for the body as it's being pitched at the 1D/D5 level and has a lot of headline tech in it. Realistically, the only people that 'need' the A9 would already be paying similar for their CaNikon equivalents but it will be interesting to see if it's good enough to make jobbing photographers swap.

The battery grip price is ridiculous. The trade in prices are as expected really. Anyone who actually does that instead of selling privately would have to have more money than sense!

I've only ever had one battery grip and it was on a Canon SLR and enabled me to use AA batteries instead of camera batteries. Happily for me other than that I've never needed one.

As for needing an A9... I think there'll be people who don't need but just want and there's nothing wrong with that if they can afford it.

It'll be interesting to see if the 24mp chip and whatever comes with it moves image quality forward, not that I'll buy an A9 but if the image quality is better it may well trickle down to a future A7 that I might buy :D

Park Camera's are doing a further £199 discount if you buy with certain lenses.
A basic Sony A9 setup won't be cheap though..... I consider the Sony G Master lenses as must haves :D
85mm f1.4 GM
24-70mm f2.8 GM
70-200mm f2.8 GM

It's not such a bad outlay if you are already a Sony shooter and invested into the system.

And these two zooms arnt needed if you prefer shooting with primes. Equally the batis and even the new 85mm are going to do the job so it's not essential the g master 85 is needed. 3rd party battery grip should be about £75

So that's about £6k less

It's not such a bad outlay if you are already a Sony shooter and invested into the system.

And these two zooms arnt needed if you prefer shooting with primes. Equally the batis and even the new 85mm are going to do the job so it's not essential the g master 85 is needed. 3rd party battery grip should be about £75

So that's about £6k less
Strangely enough I actually prefer the Zeiss Batis lenses line, they are also backed by 3 years of Zeiss support.
The only negative for me was the lack of AF-lock buttons on the Batis. :)

I've only ever had one battery grip and it was on a Canon SLR and enabled me to use AA batteries instead of camera batteries. Happily for me other than that I've never needed one.

As for needing an A9... I think there'll be people who don't need but just want and there's nothing wrong with that if they can afford it.

It'll be interesting to see if the 24mp chip and whatever comes with it moves image quality forward, not that I'll buy an A9 but if the image quality is better it may well trickle down to a future A7 that I might buy :D
The A9's IQ is not better than the current A7RII's, apparently its 1-stop lower if that matters.

I wasn't trying to be funny, bargain it could be seen to be. I'm all for being realistic and saving money.

Having thought some more, even if I were to win the lottery tonight, I don't think I'd get it... Aside from the joystick, for my uses I think it'd be a step backwards from my r2.

So that's one less thing to worry about if I happen to become a multimillionaire.

Having thought some more, even if I were to win the lottery tonight, I don't think I'd get it... Aside from the joystick, for my uses I think it'd be a step backwards from my r2.

So that's one less thing to worry about if I happen to become a multimillionaire.

Why would it be a step back? The mp count?

24mp is easily enough for me but I suppose if I tried a high mp count camera I'd want it :D

For the casual prime and old manual lens shooter like me I think that a first gen A7 is pretty much perfect but for more demanding people maybe an A9 would be perfect if they're willing to spend that much and I'm pretty sure a lot of people will buy this camera even if they never use the full performance.

Partly the mp, and this mostly for cropping rather than detail.

Just seems (from pictures) more clunky and bulkier, so larger in feel if not actual size and improvements in areas I don't use.

The A9 looks good but not for me personally, it does address some of my concerns of the A line (dual SD slots being one) and I imagine that we could see a larger MP sensor in a similar body soon to compete with the D810 replacement, still suffers from the same ergonomic and small button issues that I found with the A7ii though.

The thing I like most about this latest camera is the name. Nine is so much nicer than seven. "I've got an Alpha Nine" rolls off the tongue like honey.

But I won't be buying one.

The thing I like most about this latest camera is the name. Nine is so much nicer than seven. "I've got an Alpha Nine" rolls off the tongue like honey.

But I won't be buying one.

Fear not, the a A9 II will be out soon enough to address all the issues which people find with the A9. :D

Fear not, the a A9 II will be out soon enough to address all the issues which people find with the A9. :D
Reading the A9 thread and some of the comments it'll be interesting to see how many people who at the mo post very negatively about Sony (they're soleless computers not cameras etc) and CSC in general will suddenly change their minds when Canikon bring a reasonably top end one out. Even if it's crap the enthusiasm will be deafening.

Back