The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Reading the A9 thread and some of the comments it'll be interesting to see how many people who at the mo post very negatively about Sony (they're soleless computers not cameras etc) and CSC in general will suddenly change their minds when Canikon bring a reasonably top end one out. Even if it's crap the enthusiasm will be deafening.
Took the words out of my mouth. Why they hang around Sony threads to whinge beats me finding nits to pick. Must really be tortured peeps. I was Canon up to the armpits starting with the 5D Classic but it didn't occur to me to go snipe at other systems. Frankly its a big yawn scrolling through their misery so much so I really hope their vendor of choice makes all their Christmases come true and they can get all wrapped up in their warm glow and forget about Sony. Pity that won't come soon enough though.

Hello all you lovely A7II owners out there I have just joined your ranks camera arrived this morning, quick question if I may how do you turn off the electronic level thingy in the viewfinder in the menus you can turn the audio level on or off but I can find no mention of the visual display
it doesn't appear on the screen only in the viewfinder HELP!!

I kind of understand where the whole "it feels like a cpu" comments come from. While the cameras have "steady shot inside" printed on it they'll continue to attract such comments. Wasn't it dell and other computer companies that used to advertise "intel inside".

Hello all you lovely A7II owners out there I have just joined your ranks camera arrived this morning, quick question if I may how do you turn off the electronic level thingy in the viewfinder in the menus you can turn the audio level on or off but I can find no mention of the visual display
it doesn't appear on the screen only in the viewfinder HELP!!

DISP Button (Finder)
Allows you to set the screen display modes that can be selected for the viewfinder using
s_disp.png
(Display Setting) in shooting mode.

1. MENU →
    s_menu_cusom.png
    (Custom Settings) → [DISP Button] → [Finder] → desired setting → [Enter].
    The items marked with
    s_checkmark2.png
    are available.
Menu item details
Graphic Display:
Shows basic shooting information. Graphically shows the shutter speed and aperture value.
Display All Info.:
Shows recording information.
No Disp. Info.:
Does not show recording information.
Histogram:
Displays the luminance distribution graphically.
Level:
Indicates whether the product is level in both the horizontal and front-back directions. When the product is level in both directions, the indicator turns to green.

DISP Button (Finder)
Allows you to set the screen display modes that can be selected for the viewfinder using
s_disp.png
(Display Setting) in shooting mode.

1. MENU →
    s_menu_cusom.png
    (Custom Settings) → [DISP Button] → [Finder] → desired setting → [Enter].
    The items marked with
    s_checkmark2.png
    are available.
Menu item details
Graphic Display:
Shows basic shooting information. Graphically shows the shutter speed and aperture value.
Display All Info.:
Shows recording information.
No Disp. Info.:
Does not show recording information.
Histogram:
Displays the luminance distribution graphically.
Level:
Indicates whether the product is level in both the horizontal and front-back directions. When the product is level in both directions, the indicator turns to green.
Thank you very much, job done, as usual easy when you know how.(y)

Last edited:
Took the words out of my mouth. Why they hang around Sony threads to whinge beats me finding nits to pick. Must really be tortured peeps. I was Canon up to the armpits starting with the 5D Classic but it didn't occur to me to go snipe at other systems. Frankly its a big yawn scrolling through their misery so much so I really hope their vendor of choice makes all their Christmases come true and they can get all wrapped up in their warm glow and forget about Sony. Pity that won't come soon enough though.

My first digital was a Fuji S602 but it was very slow in operation and I soon moved to a Canon 300D, 10D, 20D (I had that over 7 years) and lastly 5D. My SLR's were both Nikon and Canon, my RF's were Voigtlander and Canon and my compacts were Olympus, Miranda, Kodak and Jessops. What I've wanted since going digital is genuine replacements for quality 35mm cameras and compacts and at last I have them :D

A7 for quality, MFT for a slightly more compact and faster in use system, a 1" compact and couple of credit card sized cameras too for when I want something truly pocketable :D

Moaning about moaning lol.
Well, all the sniping does get both annoying and boring and you gotta admit that some makes and models do seem to attract whinging tyre kickers that just wont move on.

Well, all the sniping does get both annoying and boring and you gotta admit that some makes and models do seem to attract whinging tyre kickers that just wont move on.

Tbh these days all the manufacturers are taking the P and crippling their models in one way or another to drive the next model so they don't cannibalise other much more expensive models in their range. Incremental these days, game changer days are over.

I'm glad Sony's pushing mirrorless though, canikon should catch a wake up... But that's not saying Sony's exceeded those products. Its a shame they can't all combine various expertise and provide us a real boss camera. Samsung seemed like the only manufacturer that was ready to push big time. Shame about them.

Last edited:
i have recently got my a7 but due to lens changes i seem to be a bit stuck for wildlife etc.
has anybody used a sigma 300mm f2.8 with the a7 ?

My first digital was a Fuji S602 but it was very slow in operation and I soon moved to a Canon 300D, 10D, 20D (I had that over 7 years) and lastly 5D. My SLR's were both Nikon and Canon, my RF's were Voigtlander and Canon and my compacts were Olympus, Miranda, Kodak and Jessops. What I've wanted since going digital is genuine replacements for quality 35mm cameras and compacts and at last I have them :D

A7 for quality, MFT for a slightly more compact and faster in use system, a 1" compact and couple of credit card sized cameras too for when I want something truly pocketable :D
My film gear was Olympus OM2n & OM4ti my first foray into digital was a terrible Minolta Dimage so waited for the first (mainstream) digital 35mm camera the Canon 5D and was delighted thus Canon got all my money thereafter at that time Nikon didn't have a full frame offering and many Nikon folks poo pooed FF but later it became the best thing since sliced bread when Nikon got there. It was very clear on the newsgroups of the day it had become a Clan System.
So when other FF competitors emerged it was no surprise that when the upstart/usurpers emerged they would be poo pooed and even today it continues. It seems to be a threat to their vested choice but I can't see why. It's surely all about what works for you.

Sorry by AF I'd assumed you wanted something speedy, especially at that FL.
i do use manual most of the time, but auto is handy sometimes,
i was just wondering if someone had used this lens with the a7 and did they work ok together or would a different lens be better ?

i do use manual most of the time, but auto is handy sometimes,
i was just wondering if someone had used this lens with the a7 and did they work ok together or would a different lens be better ?

I've used it adapted on the A7rii and it's fine. But I don't think many lenses work too well adapted on the a7.

i have recently got my a7 but due to lens changes i seem to be a bit stuck for wildlife etc.
has anybody used a sigma 300mm f2.8 with the a7 ?

Not exactly this one you mentioned, but I use from time to time Sony A7R II + Sigma 120-300 EX APO DG HSM F/2.8 (NOT the OS or Sport version) Canon mount (via Sigma MC-11 adapter)
The lens is quite old and focus is more than ok, no problem for Auto focusing.

Some examples:

Ace Cafe London Stunt Festival & Streetfighter Show 2016 by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

Ace Cafe London Stunt Festival & Streetfighter Show 2016 by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

Fairies exist by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

My advice is just find one and try it.
Hope this helps.

I've just pre order the a9

You lucky son of a gun. After watching an American reviewing the a9 I can see the appeal though personally wouldn't use most of the features.
Sony seem to be showing us the future of cameras. Clunky mirrors LOL.

You lucky son of a gun. After watching an American reviewing the a9 I can see the appeal though personally wouldn't use most of the features.
Sony seem to be showing us the future of cameras. Clunky mirrors LOL.

The clunky mirrors did annoy me and my 20D sounded like and anvil being thrown into a tin bath but as and even more annoying were the size and weight and the crap in the VF. I've even had things crawling around in OVF's but thankfully all these things in the past for me now :D

The specs are quite amazing really. The silent 1/32000 second shutter speed and 20 frames / sec. with nearly 700 focus sensors. I could probably isolate a near white gull or tern surrounded by ice with a 0.95 noctilux lens wide open. Or flying with autofocus at 200mm f2.8. Would love to try it.
A near 4k viewfinder has got to be nice. Two card slots two separate jpeg and raw etc.

But the price

The specs are quite amazing really. The silent 1/32000 second shutter speed and 20 frames / sec. with nearly 700 focus sensors. I could probably isolate a near white gull or tern surrounded by ice with a 0.95 noctilux lens wide open. Or flying with autofocus at 200mm f2.8. Would love to try it.
A near 4k viewfinder has got to be nice. Two card slots two separate jpeg and raw etc.

But the price
Could you list a single FF csc camera thats equal or better then teh a9 in specs but cheaper?

Has anybody seen the price of the new Zeiss Batis 135mm - £1700 approx! :eek:

Could you list a single FF csc camera thats equal or better then teh a9 in specs but cheaper?

The A7/A9 are only FF CSC (bar Leica which are a different market altogether) so clearly there are no others with the same paper specification of the A9. As a result, Sony can set whatever price they want and some people will lap it up.

wow? link?

Ok I got the price slightly wrong... £1749!! :D :eek: lol
https://www.parkcameras.com/p/9248909B/sony-e-mount-lenses/zeiss/batis-135mm-f28-e-mount-lens

The Sony FE system is getting so expensive people may start looking at the cost per output ratio and just buy a iPhone7 lol ;)
For example was my Sony FF setup giving me £5000+ worth of additional photographic output in the end files compared to APS-C.. no! Hence the move to Fuji.
Ask yourself this question...... are your paying end clients complaining about the photos you provide them? If not will you be charging them more money because you bought a more expensive body?

Last edited:
https://www.parkcameras.com/p/9248909B/sony-e-mount-lenses/zeiss/batis-135mm-f28-e-mount-lens

The Sony FE system is getting so expensive people may start looking at the cost per output ratio and just buy a iPhone7 lol ;)

That's obviously a Pre-order RRP price so it will probably change a little on release but at what point does the price of a lens become obscene? This isn't about whether someone can afford it or not, that's nobody else's business.

Surely there's a point where spending nearly £2k on a lens, regardless of how sharp it is, or how fast the AF is, or how good the micro-contrast is becomes crazy?

Just to give an idea (sorry it's not a Sony image!), this photo shows a 4'x3' print I delivered to a client a few years ago. I shot it in their conservatory with a Canon 40D, Tamron 17-50, black background and a single cheap flashgun. In current value it's around £300 worth of kit.

IMG_6086_2.jpg

The client has it framed on their wall alongside another photo of their younger son in the same size. I'm sure a more modern sensor/lens combo would deliver a sharper image from 12" away but at the end of the day, the clients were happy and I got paid, then asked to return 2 years later to take a shot of their younger son to match it, so to me that was successful kit.

Last edited:

For example was my Sony FF setup giving me £5000+ worth of additional photographic output in the end files compared to APS-C.. no! Hence the move to Fuji.
Ask yourself this question...... are your paying end clients complaining about the photos you provide them? If not will you be charging them more money because you bought a more expensive body?

it may not just about what the client pays or whether they expect or can tell the difference between crop and full frame. it could be a case of user experience. i.e. having that ibis. or knowing when using an 85mm 1.4 it really is an 85mm 1.4. or having that extra ISO to play with. The client may not notice - but the pride within the tog doing the edit may be shouting "this would be cleaner with a full frame camera".

BUT i totally understand where you are coming from and I've taken both crop and full frame cameras out on a job and used both with the difference being not all that noticeable. so it always makes me chuckle when some say you can't use apsc for pro work.

It's strange that Leica don't seem to get quite this amount of flak for similarly priced, but less competent bodies.
In fact it seems to be taken as standard that they cost silly money.

By comparison Sony's are a bargain with all the features you get...

Both the Batis, and more-so Loxia, range of lenses are pretty steep for what they offer. Beyond a certain point, sharpness is pretty redundant unless you pixel peep or print billboards - so it's certainly Zeiss premium there.
IMHO it seems Sony are still seen as a hobby-ist toy for people with deep pockets - is it brand snobbery of a NKOTB charging so much?

Back