The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Yeah... have to say, I do feel a little abandoned on the Firmware front.

Also still think it's "cheeky" (outrageous) they charge for Apps which many have as standard features.

Yeah Sony don't do big firmware updates, they just release a new model.
This is what bugs me, when your spending a cool £3000-4500 on a body, bigger and better updates would be more welcomed. :D

Just slight improvements to af, menus etc would be really welcome

Seems ages since i was on here. The A9 seems a good step forward, i was hoping they would be showing off a global sensor by now, i hope the body size doesnt filter down, looks like its gained weight again.

Im off to Sorrento soon so im looking forward to getting some good shots with the A7R, taking the 24-70, 16-35 and 35.

Last edited:
Did a part-ex with a couple of Nikon lenses for the FE 28mm last week, then headed to Dorset at the first sign of clear skies. Conditions were perfect and the lens performed better than I could have hoped. This is a single 15 second exposure from my A7s, wide open (f/2) at ISO6400. Small, light & sharp, great viewfinder image, minimal vignetting, very low coma. The Nikon 35mm I swapped had been my fave lens for a long time, already I don't miss it.

33913536560_1343c1f5b0_o.jpg

ETA: seems like there's some funny compression viewing here, looks better on flickr.

Last edited:
Did a part-ex with a couple of Nikon lenses for the FE 28mm last week, then headed to Dorset at the first sign of clear skies. Conditions were perfect and the lens performed better than I could have hoped. This is a single 15 second exposure from my A7s, wide open (f/2) at ISO6400. Small, light & sharp, great viewfinder image, minimal vignetting, very low coma. The Nikon 35mm I swapped had been my fave lens for a long time, already I don't miss it.

ETA: seems like there's some funny compression viewing here, looks better on flickr.

Nice shot, the Sony 28mm is a great lens, it's been a bit under rated so not been that popular but I've had mine since I moved to Sony and always liked it.

The rumor site hosts a little vid on the A9 from Kai and... he likes it!

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/kai-tests-sony-a9-impressed/#disqus_thread

He also thinks it's cheaper than the competition which is rather strange as I think it's overpriced and should be about £2k or maybe £90 to match the price of a mid range Sony DVD player.

PS.
Please don't take this post seriously, I'm just having fun!
:D

PPS.
Great shot that Andy!

Do you mind sharing the link for it on Flickr?

Great shot - excellent photography

Kevin Raber has posted a very positive A9 review on Luminous Landscape and in fact he liked it so much he's ordered one.

Unfortunately Luminous Landscape changed to a subscription site a year or so ago but if anyone would like to sign up it's only $12.

Kevin Raber has posted a very positive A9 review on Luminous Landscape and in fact he liked it so much he's ordered one.

Unfortunately Luminous Landscape changed to a subscription site a year or so ago but if anyone would like to sign up it's only $12.
I joined last year, for $1 a month ( whatever that is in GBP now it's very good value) some really good in-depth articles .

I joined last year, for $1 a month ( whatever that is in GBP now it's very good value) some really good in-depth articles .

Yes, I've been going there for many years and although I personally think that the site has dropped off since the death I do think it's worth it for the odd good article. The forums are mostly rubbish though :D

Lovely, and you were worried about the settings :D

From this evenings walk, A7 and 35mm f2.8.

A 100% crop from that pier shot...

This looks really sharp on my screen but has suffered here via photobucket. The A7 and 35mm f2.8 is a lovely compact combination :D

Last edited:
many thanks.

i can't actually remember ever taking a jpeg photo with the sony, so the editing limitations were quite frustrating. As for the Basic jpeg, its not too noticeable on this shot, but the head shots did appear fairly soft. its my fault of course for not fully checking the camera settings before i started. my excuse is we had our 2 year old with us and therefore had to get on with it as quickly as possible before she got bored, ran off or hit us with a big stick.

many thanks.

i can't actually remember ever taking a jpeg photo with the sony, so the editing limitations were quite frustrating. As for the Basic jpeg, its not too noticeable on this shot, but the head shots did appear fairly soft. its my fault of course for not fully checking the camera settings before i started. my excuse is we had our 2 year old with us and therefore had to get on with it as quickly as possible before she got bored, ran off or hit us with a big stick.

What I've done in the past when only having a jpeg is open it as a raw in CS5 and save it as a raw and also as full sized JPEG or TIFF. It's obviously not the same as having the raw and full sized file but for all but the largest prints and pixel peeping no one would ever know and at least you have the raw and a point to go back to which wont change and no one has ever noticed any drop in quality.

Kai has a video up on YouTube on the A9 (unless I've missed the post here already). Some good real world use and images on there during a Boxing event set up by Sony. All in it's rather impressive! The size of the glass still puts me off even with the weight saved with the body but the fact battery life has been improved on to come closer to that of a DSLR and the fact it's speed is up there with and in cases surpasses the 1DX2 and D5 is nothing short of astonishing. Nothing by any other manufacturer really even comes close as sensor size is key to the Sony/Canon/Nikon comparison in this case. Still happy with my Fuji kit as it's plenty quick still and produces great results and at a third of the price is hands down more budget friendly to my pocket but I must admit I'd love one of these A9 bodies and some of the Sony glass to go with it.. I'd need to sell a kidney though :D

The rumor site is talking about what's coming next :D They say that there'll probably be one more camera in June but other than that we may not see all the A7 line being updated. 2017 will however be the year of lenses they say with "many more lenses to come in 2017." They go on to mention Zeiss and Sigma.

That bit about many lenses struck me as I read somewhere that no one had the capacity to do more than two or three lenses a year... but even if that's anywhere near true I assume the figure could be pushed by working in house teams harder and augmented by getting third party designers and manufacturers involved but even so I think that both Sony and others in the industry must be being worked hard to keep the pace up.

Here's the rumor site...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/rumor-whats-coming-next-sony/#disqus_thread

I've been thinking what could tempt me to buy something and what I'd buy... Body wise I suppose a better EVF and a joystick would be nice, lens wise a compact 35mm f1.8 and a compact 50mm f2.8 macro would be nice but I can't see the latter coming from Sony as they have their existing 50mm macro so Zeiss or maybe more likely Sigma may be my best hope. I can't see myself bothering with another of the existing Sony 50mm f2.8's after the experience I had with the one I bought, they'd have to bring one out with a completely new focus system before I'd try another.

What would tempt you lot?

Last edited:
A telephoto prime, ideally a Zeiss Loxia around the 180/200mm length, and you'd see my wallet open

At nearly £1800 for the Zeiss Batis 135mm I'd expect a 180/200mm to cost a easy £2500!!!! :eek:

Probably. Wouldn't have to be fast though. It's a focal length I seem to like to use. Used to carry my Olympus 180 f2.8 whenever I went snapping.

The rumor site is talking about what's coming next :D They say that there'll probably be one more camera in June but other than that we may not see all the A7 line being updated. 2017 will however be the year of lenses they say with "many more lenses to come in 2017." They go on to mention Zeiss and Sigma.

That bit about many lenses struck me as I read somewhere that no one had the capacity to do more than two or three lenses a year... but even if that's anywhere near true I assume the figure could be pushed by working in house teams harder and augmented by getting third party designers and manufacturers involved but even so I think that both Sony and others in the industry must be being worked hard to keep the pace up.

Here's the rumor site...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/rumor-whats-coming-next-sony/#disqus_thread

I've been thinking what could tempt me to buy something and what I'd buy... Body wise I suppose a better EVF and a joystick would be nice, lens wise a compact 35mm f1.8 and a compact 50mm f2.8 macro would be nice but I can't see the latter coming from Sony as they have their existing 50mm macro so Zeiss or maybe more likely Sigma may be my best hope. I can't see myself bothering with another of the existing Sony 50mm f2.8's after the experience I had with the one I bought, they'd have to bring one out with a completely new focus system before I'd try another.

What would tempt you lot?

A 35mm f1.8 would be welcomed as the zeiss 1.4 is a pricey beast.

Apparently canon released 10 odd lenses when the ef mount was first released
Yup but maybe they took three years to design and gen them ready for production or maybe they were based on existing designs.

I don't know if the 2/3 a year capacity thing is real or not but I'd imagine that the design teams are relatively small so maybe it could be somewhere near the mark.

And a lottery lens for qc

Isn't there a Fuji thread you could be haunting?

My GF is fascinated by allotments, so... whole image followed by a 100% crop...

Last edited:
Back