The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Ibis? 4K?

Somewhere you'll have to compromise.

I know. Like I said, nothings perfect... especially under 5k and tbh at that price id go 1dx2 and for purely 4k and ibis there are way cheaper cameras... with other compromises. Probs why 2 systems are better for me.

Last edited:
Hey all. Sorry I've not been about for ages & ages!! But, I'll be back & spam you with a handful of images :D:D

Yes, I'm still waiting for a new, faster 35mm lens.......

Child Labour ;)

Clevedon Pier

Purely video af and quality ....nx1, to bad samsung pulled out, they were onto a seriously good system.

I did predict they'd die when they released the nx1, it doesn't appeal to many people. I have a similar feeling with A9 but we'll see.

A6500 is better than NX1 imo.

Nope. I wish they did. Was a rumour.

I don't think Samsung would sell and that too to a Japanese competitor. Plus Nikon probably hasn't got the money.

I did predict they'd die when they released the nx1, it doesn't appeal to many people. I have a similar feeling with A9 but we'll see.

A6500 is better than NX1 imo.

I don't think Samsung would sell and that too to a Japanese competitor. Plus Nikon probably hasn't got the money.

How did the nx1 not appeal? It was way ahead of its time. Besides having a samsung badge.

How did the nx1 not appeal? It was way ahead of its time. Besides having a samsung badge.
I personally have nothing against samsung.

Samsung NX1 wouldn't sell basically because it was mirrorless camera in a DSLR form factor without needing to be in one. When you compete so directly against DSLRs which still holds the market share you are going to lose. And with mirrorless you need to attract these people or those who plan on buying DSLRs with a different USP. You don't do that by building another body of the same size with worst AF and same IQ. Yes it has some nice video capabilities but for people buying DSLRs good video is just icing on the cake not the cake itself that will make them swap.
Then they released the NX5 with no EVF and a terrible buffer that couldn't support its own frame rate. Not to mention their AF only optimally works with 3 lenses and two of which were huge and expensive. Compare that to Sony/Fuji/EOS-M, the AF is built to work equally well across all lenses.

I don't think samsung bodies were ahead of its time by any means. Its IQ isn't much better than A6000 while D7200 still holds the highest dynamic range. All I see is a unnecessary large body with few good video features and few more MP.

Last edited:
I personally have nothing against samsung.

Samsung NX1 wouldn't sell basically because it was mirrorless camera in a DSLR form factor without needing to be in one. When you compete so directly against DSLRs which still holds the market share you are going to lose. And with mirrorless you need to attract these people or those who plan on buying DSLRs with a different USP. You don't do that by building another body of the same size with worst AF and same IQ. Yes it has some nice video capabilities but for people buying DSLRs good video is just icing on the cake not the cake itself that will make them swap.
Then they released the NX5 with no EVF and a terrible buffer that couldn't support its own frame rate. Not to mention their AF only optimally works with 3 lenses and two of which were huge and expensive. Compare that to Sony/Fuji/EOS-M, the AF is built to work equally well across all lenses.

I don't think samsung bodies were ahead of its time by any means. Its IQ isn't much better than A6000 while D7200 still holds the highest dynamic range. All I see is a unnecessary large body with few good video features and few more MP.

Some would say it was the perfect form for handling and heat dispersion. Its built to last and to be used with bigger lenses... it doesnt overheat like some.

It still has the highest MP APSC / A touch screen that actually works, 4k (still some of the best quality, proper 120fps 1080p), Amoled screen, decent menus and ridiculously good AF for a mirrorless, not to mention the rate they were churning out excellent glass. All those things appeal to a lot of people, the reason it never took off was everyone knew Samsung were pulling out not because it looked like a small dslr. The A6000 cant really compare, I know, Ive used both.

Last edited:
Just thinking out loud here, if I was starting afresh and had the cash, I'd be looking with great interest at the Fuji gfx50s as well as the Sony a9.
Fast autofocus is not a concern for me...and I've learnt to carry less lenses...it's a bit heavier but...

Its AF (not ridiculous good, but it was good) is only good with 3 lenses. A6000 AF is miles better especially since it works with all native lenses. Its IQ is also no better than A6000. The rest is just nice to have etc. If you want better video features why would buy Samsung anyway you can get lot more accessories and peripherals for other brands. Also not to mention the flange distance is also unnecessarily longer for a mirrorless. All in all nothing special and string of bad decisions.

I have also used NX1.

Last edited:
Its AF (not ridiculous good, but it was good) is only good with 3 lenses. A6000 AF is miles better especially since it works with all native lenses. Its IQ is also no better than A6000. The rest is just nice to have etc. If you want better video features why would buy Samsung anyway you can get lot more accessories and peripherals for other brands. Also not to mention the flange distance is also unnecessarily longer for a mirrorless. All in all nothing special and string of bad decisions.

I have also used NX1.

I found the AF with the samsung kit 16-50 way better than the a6000 with its kit lens. The flange distance could be an issue for specific users but as with the Sonys, there are plenty of adapters available... just not electronic but the electronic adapters perform rubbish on the A6000 anyway and lets not talk about the Sony APSC lens line up! If you want video you buy an NX1 because of the 16-50 and 50-150 2.8, video quality, video options, Audio options, AF speed and colour (Sonys colour sucks tbh. Samsung is more like Canikon.)

I found the AF with the samsung kit 16-50 way better than the a6000 with its kit lens. The flange distance could be an issue for specific users but as with the Sonys, there are plenty of adapters available... just not electronic but the electronic adapters perform rubbish on the A6000 anyway and lets not talk about the Sony APSC lens line up! If you want video you buy an NX1 because of the 16-50 and 50-150 2.8, video quality, video options, Audio options, AF speed and colour (Sonys colour sucks tbh. Samsung is more like Canikon.)

you have picked the 3 lenses with which AF is good. Its not so good with rest of its lens line up. All lenses work equally well on A6000. Not all electronic adapters perform rubbish on A6000. For example MC-11+18-35mm works really well on A6000.

Sony's APS-C lens lineup (not to mention their prices) is another story... not going to get started on that.

Colour is subjective, I shoot RAW and for video if I shot serious I'd shoot with profiles and log format. Then I have presets, so canon, nikon, sony, samsung, whatever as long as they shoot RAW it wouldn't matter much.

But Samsungs UI was amazing, comparatively sony is horrific (even the new supposedly improved version).

Last edited:
Now that Sony has made progress with the electronic shutter, they could potentially bring out a Sony A5, a FF version of the A6500.
Now that would be really cool paired with the 35mm f2.8 and 55 F1.8 lenses.
I wish Sony would re-release a MK2 version of their Zeiss 24-70mm f4.

Thanks Chris, I think were very different shooters but how did you find lower light AF vs Nikons? Why did you jump ship anyway, Fuji big sensor just that good?

Honestly compared to a modern Nikon D750 or D810 the AF isn't anything to write home about but it seemed accurate enough in low light if not fast, more like the AF in the Pentax K1 I've been using (which is probably a generation behind Nikon AF wise).

Why did I jump ship? Well a number of things but partly handling and ergonomics, unfortunately I still find the Sony bodies to be just too small for me and when I tried out the larger glass that I'd have wanted (24-70 f2.8) it was just silly without the battery grip. Can't fault the IQ though and in general use the A7rii is a better camera than the A7ii, just a bit faster but its still have some way to go to be "DSLR" fast like Fuji have managed with the X-Pro 2 & XT-2.

Yes the Fuji sensor is outstanding as is the sheer amount of detail available with a 51mp sensor but for me its more about handing and usability, after using the X-Pro 2 and XT-2 for all of last year I just love the way Fuji's controls are setup and how the camera handles, and in the absence of a full-frame X-T2 this is the next best thing, expensive yes and I would never have paid the "new" price but given the significant discount buying used I thought it was worth the gamble and so far I'm very impressed, only thing that's lacking a little is the AF (think more XT1 than XT2) but its not as if I'm shooting action or sports and most of the things I shoot aren't moving anywhere!

Just thinking out loud here, if I was starting afresh and had the cash, I'd be looking with great interest at the Fuji gfx50s as well as the Sony a9.
Fast autofocus is not a concern for me...and I've learnt to carry less lenses...it's a bit heavier but...

If fast AF isn't a concern, why consider the A9 over an A7ii/A7Rii? I understand the Fuji for final image size and cropping ability etc but the A9 seems like a waste?

@twist what did you decide in the end re A7rii?

Cancelled mate, to much money to blow on something that probably wont do the job... it always comes down to AF and lenses for me. The adapted Sigma ART 35 options for me were to clumsy and its not the fastest lens in the world even on a really fast AF camera body so I think Id get to frustrated with it on the A7rii, the FE35 doesnt sound much faster and a whole lot more money with serious QC issues I cant be bothered to risk at that pricepoint.

Its got a few things I do like but they wont help if I miss shots, difficult choice to make though as its a camera that has interested me for a while and a I fancy a new toy.

Shame the 5DIV 4K has been crippled and they never added the 5 axis from the 77d or Id seriously look at switching systems. D820 who knows.

Fuji, stupid fake ISO, great lenses and amazing colour / handling and they need to redesign the slow but awesome 35 1.4 with new silent / fast AF. If they had IBIS or some sort of great software stabilisation like Canon and Samsung that would be cool.

Goes to show though that no system has it all, may as well save loads of money and not buy anything. :facepalm::eggface:

Last edited:
Cancelled mate, to much money to blow on something that probably wont do the job... it always comes down to AF and lenses for me. The adapted Sigma ART 35 options for me were to clumsy and its not the fastest lens in the world even on a really fast AF camera body so I think Id get to frustrated with it on the A7rii, the FE35 doesnt sound much faster and a whole lot more money with serious QC issues I cant be bothered to risk at that pricepoint.

Its got a few things I do like but they wont help if I miss shots, difficult choice to make though as its a camera that has interested me for a while and a I fancy a new toy.

Shame the 5DIV 4K has been crippled and they never added the 5 axis from the 77d or Id seriously look at switching systems. D820 who knows.

Fuji, stupid fake ISO, great lenses and amazing colour / handling and they need to redesign the slow but awesome 35 1.4 with new silent / fast AF. If they had IBIS or some sort of great software stabilisation like Canon and Samsung that would be cool.

Goes to show though that no system has it all, may as well save loads of money and not buy anything. :facepalm::eggface:

Probably wise if you're less than 100% sure. Especially at that price point. May be worth waiting and see what Nikon come out with this year.

Have to say I'm tempted to grab a dslr to go alongside my Sony set up. But that could just be gas.

Probably wise if you're less than 100% sure. Especially at that price point. May be worth waiting and see what Nikon come out with this year.

Have to say I'm tempted to grab a dslr to go alongside my Sony set up. But that could just be gas.

Would love to run DSLR alongside an A7rii but tbh I dont want to start spending silly money again only to grab the main camera all the time because I know it will get the shot. If the A7rii does all you need in terms of AF (only real weak point besides lenses / cost of selection) theres no point in getting the DSLR, no doubt the A7rii delivers in IQ.

Last edited:

Reading your posts over some time I think you need to...

Think about what you want to photograph / vid and how and what gear will enable you to do it.
Think about the output.
Accept that no gear is perfect and go for the gear that's the best fit for you.

I hope you can find something you can stick with.

Reading your posts over some time I think you need to...

Think about what you want to photograph / vid and how and what gear will enable you to do it.
Think about the output.
Accept that no gear is perfect and go for the gear that's the best fit for you.

I hope you can find something you can stick with.

I know what I need woof, the problem is finding one camera that will do it all, they all come so close but as I said they all fall short in one way or another, (un)surprisingly. Im still in love with my D700 and Sigma 35, Im more than happy with the stills output, but I would like video with some form of stabilisation (software or hardware). I think within 1 gen manufacturers will crack it for both stills and video.

You think I cant stick with 1 system but Ive been using Nikon for many years. The only thing I really change is my second system.

Last edited:
You think I cant stick with 1 system but Ive been using Nikon for many years. The only thing I really change is my second system.

You're not as bad as some at swapping and changing.

I know what I need woof, the problem is finding one camera that will do it all, they all come so close but as I said they all fall short in one way or another, (un)surprisingly. Im still in love with my D700 and Sigma 35, Im more than happy with the stills output, but I would like video with some form of stabilisation (software or hardware). I think within 1 gen manufacturers will crack it for both stills and video.

Would you consider a99ii? 4k, ibis, 42mp, £2,200 grey. Takes art glass natively.

Last edited:
A mount that some consider to be going nowhere could be worth looking at you might get a bargain and if you can limit the hardware you buy and keep it a while it could make sense.

Back