The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I'm sat here thinking about situations when I wouldn't want to meter off the focus point but thinking about it with MFT I always do and it's only when using my A7 that I miss the feature. I do think it'd be nice to be able to choose what it does through a menu option though, just incase... :D

I've been thinking about getting an A9 but I don't know why. I don't need one. I can't even get out to take pictures at the mo.
The A9 would be the best one to get. It's an A7 that had a one night stand with a nikon d5

The A9 would be the best one to get. It's an A7 that had a one night stand with a nikon d5
But its one expensive bit of gear, for somebody not making a living from it nor shooting fast action, is it worth it? :D

But its one expensive bit of gear, for somebody not making a living from it nor shooting fast action, is it worth it? :D
could say the same about your XT2, you can get similar quality for cheaper ;)

In the end it simply comes down how much disposable income you have :D

could say the same about your XT2, you can get similar quality for cheaper ;)

In the end it simply comes down how much disposable income you have :D
With me it's how much I can spend on myself without feeling guilty. £3k-£4k on a camera body will in reality probably be too much for my conscience.

Lol the a9 makes for a great wedding camera
I am sure it is but realistically most clients won't pay me extra money nor notice the IQ difference between the A9 or XT2. One of the reasons I left Sony in the first place.
I have to think logical, if the cheaper system delivers then why do I need the more expensive setup......... only one reason... to satisfy Sony GAS :D lol

I am sure it is but realistically most clients won't pay me extra money nor notice the IQ difference between the A9 or XT2. l

Very true and wise words. The A9 is clearly a very good camera and if anyone is able to drop £4k on a new toy then good on them but I wouldn't expect extra work on the back of the purchase just because they shoot with the latest cameras. Most clients really don't care what it was shot on, so long as they're happy with the results.

I covered a christening for a client at late notice on Saturday afternoon with my A6000, 50/1.8, Samyang 12/2 and a flashgun. I gave the images to the client yesterday and they didn't mention they were unhappy with the results because I didn't shoot them with an A9 ;0)

A7r2 is like a totally different camera after the fwe 4.0 update.

I just did a whole studio shoot with the camera and not only is the response times faster then before but the AF-C works in f8-f11!!

The metabones adapter with my 24-70 f2.8 was a bit iffy when focusing sometimes but thats to be expected really.

I think i may sell my 5d4!!

Also may sell some of my canon l for G master lenses.

A7r2 is like a totally different camera after the fwe 4.0 update.

I just did a whole studio shoot with the camera and not only is the response times faster then before but the AF-C works in f8-f11!!

The metabones adapter with my 24-70 f2.8 was a bit iffy when focusing sometimes but thats to be expected really.

I think i may sell my 5d4!!

Also may sell some of my canon l for G master lenses.

Sell sell sell

Sure, if you believe everything you read. Still outperform your 5d's and a7r2 though pound for pound lol. Who is fugi btw

Nah it doesn't. They all excel in different ways. Everybody is a winner :D

Though Nikon seems to better at using/implementing Sony sensors than Sony themselves (or Fuji). Kinda annoying tbh :p

Last edited:
Why would I do that? They still offer more than I need at a better performing ratio than what you own.
If you use that argument I could say the same about my old 20D, I bet you can pick one of those up for about 2p, but the Sony stuff not only offers top drawer image quality but also the advantages, if you see them as advantages, of the more digital evf csc experience with in view histogram, wysiwyg, exposure and focus aids etc in a much smaller body.

Yup, dslr's are good value and offer some advantages but imo csc's are the future :D

Nah it doesn't. They all excel in different ways. Everybody is a winner :D

Though Nikon seems to better at using/implementing Sony sensors than Sony themselves (or Fuji). Kinda annoying tbh :p

Yeah I know... I just like pulling jonneys leg lol. Don't tell him though. :naughty:

If you use that argument I could say the same about my old 20D, I bet you can pick one of those up for about 2p, but the Sony stuff not only offers top drawer image quality but also the advantages, if you see them as advantages, of the more digital evf csc experience with in view histogram, wysiwyg, exposure and focus aids etc in a much smaller body.

Yup, dslr's are good value and offer some advantages but imo csc's are the future :D

No you couldn't, the a7rii and 5d3/4 are better than the 20d. You can't compare ancient apsc DSLR tech vs the latest cameras.

Last edited:
No you couldn't, the a7rii and 5d3/4 are better than the 20d. You can't compare ancient apsc DSLR tech vs the latest cameras.
Quite. You say that and still go on to compare your decades old SLR tech to a modern CSC. Bang for buck was your point and I get it but... :D

The 20D is capable of very good image quality. I have perfectly good A3 prints from mine and there are many more prints of various sizes on walls in peoples houses and on their phones and pads from here to Asia :D and no one has said they're crap and should have been taken with a Nikon :D That's pretty good bang for buck for a camera that can be had for little money :D The only issues I had were the performance at the higher ISO's and noise when lifting the shadows... avoid those issues and of course live with what would be seen today as a ridiculous mp count of 8mb and very good quality is there for little money :D

I could say much the same for my old Panasonic G1. They can be had for under £100 these days and at low ISO that camera gave my 5D a massive fright.

Anyway, I'll remove my tongue from my cheek and stop baiting you :D

Last edited:
Quite. You say that and still go on to compare your decades old SLR tech to a modern CSC. Bang for buck was your point and I get it but... :D

The 20D is capable of very good image quality. I have perfectly good A3 prints from mine and there are many more prints of various sizes on walls in peoples houses and on their phones and pads from here to Asia :D and no one has said they're crap and should have been taken with a Nikon :D That's pretty good bang for buck for a camera that can be had for little money :D The only issues I had were the performance at the higher ISO's and noise when lifting the shadows... avoid those issues and of course live with what would be seen today as a ridiculous mp count of 8mb and very good quality is there for little money :D

I could say much the same for my old Panasonic G1. They can be had for under £100 these days and at low ISO that camera gave my 5D a massive fright.

Anyway, I'll remove my tongue from my cheek and stop baiting you :D

Yet in terms of performance my decades old tech DSLR will destroy your cscs. :D you can't compare your old dslrs against today's cameras.

Last edited:
Yet in terms of performance my decades old tech DSLR will destroy your cscs. :D
But I'd leave it at home so it doesn't matter.

The whole reason I got into CSC's was that DSLR's are so much bigger and heavier than the film cameras I had. It wasn't initially a decision based on quality but once I saw the advantages of WYSIWYG and the focus and exposure aids and being able to use manual lenses and everything else it was only a matter of time before I left DSLR's behind.

TBH I wouldn't care if DSLR's were demonstrably better than CSC's... I still wouldn't have one because they're just too big and fat and heavy and attract waaaay too much attention.

Lovely shots their guys :D

And...

The rumor site says that the A7III may be coming in October / November time and it'll have a new 24mp sensor and the A9 AF. That would be nice :D

They don't know if it'll have the exact same sensor as the A9, the A9 body or the focus joystick etc. It would be nice if the joystick was included.

Here's the linky thingy...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-...4mp-sensor-a9-autofocus-system/#disqus_thread

Looks good, rumours that its bascially the A9 without the 20 FPS, rather see rumours about an A7riii!

If it is an A9 without the speed it will please a lot of people but would Sony do that as it may hurt A9 sales.

One thing I'm a bit meh about is the addition of the second dial on the top of the camera. I don't tend to use these settings a lot, in fact hardly ever, so I'm perfectly happy pressing a button and selecting what I want and in fact I'd rather do that and do without the second dial to have a less cluttered camera.

Do you chaps think that the second dial is a big deal?

Back