The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Doesn't he also use a fuji or was it an Olympus?

Anyways you saying I can't deliver the goods with my photos? Was the last portrait I showed Rubbish?

I didn't say you can't deliver the goods (I liked your last uploads). I was being tongue in cheek about the amount of kit you have and there being no possible technical reason why you couldn't, hence the smiley at the end ;0)

I didn't say you can't deliver the goods (I liked your last uploads). I was being tongue in cheek about the amount of kit you have and there being no possible technical reason why you couldn't, hence the smiley at the end ;0)
Ahh ok lool my bad. Anyways my point this morning is you can't blame someone buying the latest Sony as each release does contain a lot of features and improvements.

Great time to be using Sony gear.

They are taking the photographer business in a storm just like in gaming console land.

The ps4 that is

Ahh ok lool my bad. Anyways my point this morning is you can't blame someone buying the latest Sony as each release does contain a lot of features and improvements.

Great time to be using Sony gear.

They are taking the photographer business in a storm just like in gaming console land.

The ps4 that is

Sure, but dslrs have been at that performance level and higher for years.

Dslr are like 20/30 years old. Mirrorless is not even half that. We now have a camera that surpasses the very best dslr in terms of af and tech.

And? The point still stands. Mirrorless has been playing catch up for years.

In your 'humble' opinion.

Sure, but dslrs have been at that performance level and higher for years.

Just to play Devils Advocate, which DSLR has 20fps with no viewfinder blackout and silent shutter? :)

Not claiming the A9 is the 'ultimate camera' by any means, but it does bring new options.

Just to play Devils Advocate, which DSLR has 20fps with no viewfinder blackout and silent shutter? :)

Not claiming the A9 is the 'ultimate camera' by any means, but it does bring new options.

Yes, new options. I never said it did not. And was the a9 released years ago?

And what's the a9 mechanical shutter speed?

No but dslr have been around for way longer and now beaten by a kid mirrorless tech that's hasn't been around that long.

Beaten? In your opinion.

Are you saying that my comment was false or are we going to keep going round in circles?

Oh and I think you're perhaps confused by how long mirrorless has been around, first DSLR 1999, first mirrorless 2004.

oh I think we have gone around many circles and will go around many more in the lifetime of this thread :D

The A9 is new, as you well know.
The comment was in response to your "dslrs have been at that performance level and higher for years", to give an example of where the A9 exceeded the performance of any DSLR.

If you switch to mechanical shutter, then the frame rate drops, but that's a bit like saying a Formula 1 car isn't that fast if you drive it on a rally circuit - the A9 is designed to be fast in electronic shutter mode, and in situations where that is applicable, it offers something that no existing DSLR could do.

The A9 is new, as you well know.
The comment was in response to your "dslrs have been at that performance level and higher for years", to give an example of where the A9 exceeded the performance of any DSLR.

If you switch to mechanical shutter, then the frame rate drops, but that's a bit like saying a Formula 1 car isn't that fast if you drive it on a rally circuit - the A9 is designed to be fast in electronic shutter mode, and in situations where that is applicable, it offers something that no existing DSLR could do.

But the a9 isnt completely exceeding DSLR in all areas are they.... And my comment was really based on mirrorless in general, it has been playing catch up for years.

But the a9 isnt completely exceeding DSLR in all areas are they.... And my comment was really based on mirrorless in general, it has been playing catch up for years.
Well there's no camera be it mirror less or dslr that does everything. The 5d4 does some things better than the flagship 1dx2 and vice versa.

Which is is why I said it wasn't the ultimate camera - and yes, mirrorless has been playing 'catch up', but in a number of ways mirrorless has caught up, and in some it has surpassed DSLR (while in others it still lags behind).

Of course, for most of us it's all a bit irrelevant, as we don't actually 'need' the sort of performance the top end cameras offer :)

Only 5 just like the original A7, which leads me to believe that Sony's mirrorless body design to date limits them to 5fps mechanical, with DSLR's the mechanism is different with more internal body space.
20 fps is great but your approaching video frame rate speeds, we may soon be shooting 4,5,8k videos in the future and just grabbing shots from the footage lol :D

I agree that Sony is bringing good things to each of their body releases but thats because they are still growing and evolving, DSLR's have been perfected over such a long time now that most body versions are just minor improvements, I still believe that Sony have "gimped" the A9 in that they could have easily implemented full body sealing and made the body more rugged like the competitors.

Last edited:
Only 5 just like the original A7, which leads me to believe that Sony's mirrorless body design to date limits them to 5fps mechanical, with DSLR's the mechanisms is different with more internal body space.
20 fps is great but your approaching video frame rate speeds, we may soon be shooting 4,5,8k videos in the future and just grabbing shots from the footage lol :D

I agree than Sony is brining good things to each of their body releases but thats because they are still growing and evolving, DSLR's have been perfected over such a long time now that most body versions are just minor improvements, I still believe that Sony have "gimped" the A9 in that they could have easily implemented full body sealing and made the body more rugged like the competitors.

The thing is while that e shutter is fantastic it's not perfect and that's when 5fps is not fast enough. Could be cost cutting (to keep price more sensible) or alternatively the smaller shutter mech just isnt robust enough to do any more.

Last edited:
The thing is while that e shutter is fantastic it's not perfect and that's when 5fps is not fast enough.
So far I have not found any banding on it. Just that you can't use your strobes. I've never shot 2fps when using flashes or strobes never mind 5fps as most flashes and strobes can't even keep up with 5fps

So far I have not found any banding on it. Just that you can't use your strobes. I've never shot 2fps when using flashes or strobes never mind 5fps as most flashes and strobes can't even keep up with 5fps

You arent shooting fast enough objects then or require a faster mechanical shutter. Its still freaking cool though and Id love it, global shutter is the daddy though.

I am spoilt by 42mp of goodness now, can't possibly go back to measly 24mp :D

I really want focus stacking/bracketing features on Sony....

I am spoilt by 42mp of goodness now, can't possibly go back to measly 24mp :D

I really want focus stacking/bracketing features on Sony....

42mp was too much for my system to handle and the disk space requirement was just as much lol :D

Back