The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

If I was working for Nikon or Canon I would be seriously concerned about the future :D

Well yes, if you worked for Nikon you'd probably be looking for another job, just in case.

I doubt Canon will hit too much trouble as they seem for whatever reason to have a very large fanbase willing to buy arguably relatively poor mirrorless cameras. I'm not sure that all these sales are going to people with cupboards full of EF lenses, lots of sales must be going to people buying because they trust the Canon brand. If that's true and the arguably relatively poor Canon CSC's we've seen to date are selling because they're Canon that'll be a difficult thing for Canon to F up and even if they continue to offer relatively poor CSC's they'll grab a significant part of the CSC market.

But the numbers speak more. Sony are number one mirrorless company.

That's because they have so many models and have been around the longest. It also helps the a6000 and kit lens is dirt cheap. I wonder how the numbers look in terms of lens sales.

...the big seller is the mirrorless world is the A6xxx series and possibly an A6xxx with a kit lens. That combination may not suit everyone but it may well suit ordinary (not like us) people just as the big seller in the DSLR world is (I think...) a lower end APS-C Canikon and kit lens.

It's a shame if forums are a dying breed but life and time moves on I suppose :(

I couldn't help but laugh at the first part Alan. The A6xxx (and even with the kit lens) is a perfectly capable APS-C setup, even for the extraordinary people on here.. I think the main reason there is a lot of posting about the FF Sony system here is because of the small number of people with very large disposable incomes/credit card bills that feel that they must 'need' the latest high end kit to deliver their results. Realistically though, there are very few images posted (myself included) that really need upwards of £3-4K of kit to deliver.

As I've said before, what kit we all choose to use is our own business but that doesn't mean everyone has to have that kit to get results.

Also, who says forums are a dying breed (other than Johnny above)?

Last edited:
I couldn't help but laugh at the first part Alan. The A6000 (and even with the kit lens) is a perfectly capable APS-C setup, even for the extraordinary people on here.. I think the main reason there is a lot of posting about the FF Sony system is because of the small number of people with very large disposable incomes/credit card bills that feel that they must 'need' the latest high end kit to deliver their results. Realistically though, there are very images posted (myself included) that really need upwards of £3-4K of kit to deliver.

As I've said before, what kit we all choose to use is our own business but that doesn't mean everyone has to have that kit to get results.

As I've said before, a kit lens and a fast normalish prime (35/50mm equivalent f1.8) would be fine for me a lot of the time. Thinking about it I think there are at least three Axxxx cameras in my family (all ones that don't have an EVF) and all just have the kit lens.

As I've said before, a kit lens and a fast normalish prime (35/50mm equivalent f1.8) would be fine for me a lot of the time. Thinking about it I think there are at least three Axxxx cameras in my family (all ones that don't have an EVF) and all just have the kit lens.

My first mirrorless was an NEX5 which I bought when I stopped shooting weddings (at the time) around 4 years ago and was sick of carrying a 5D around. The sensor delivered excellent results and I only changed to an A6000 because of the usual issue of viewing a rear screen in the sun, especially as I mainly used an OM Zuiko 50/1.8 manual lens.

My first mirrorless was an NEX5 which I bought when I stopped shooting weddings (at the time) around 4 years ago and was sick of carrying a 5D around. The sensor delivered excellent results and I only changed to an A6000 because of the usual issue of viewing a rear screen in the sun, especially as I mainly used an OM Zuiko 50/1.8 manual lens.

My nephew insisted that his camera phone was the best camera in the world based entirely on its mp count but his mother recently gave him an Axxxx and kit lens and he's (unsurprisingly) really impressed. He's hardly put it down :D

I couldn't help but laugh at the first part Alan. The A6xxx (and even with the kit lens) is a perfectly capable APS-C setup, even for the extraordinary people on here.. I think the main reason there is a lot of posting about the FF Sony system here is because of the small number of people with very large disposable incomes/credit card bills that feel that they must 'need' the latest high end kit to deliver their results. Realistically though, there are very few images posted (myself included) that really need upwards of £3-4K of kit to deliver.

There was a thread here earlier this year or end of last year that mentioned how this forum ain't as active as it was before..

I've seen that trend on other forums too. Check Facebook group pages. You don't even have to add your real life mates and do all that Facebook timeline nonsense to join a Facebook group dedicated to your hobbies

Compared to Facebook groups.. Yes I have and Facebook groups have far more active members then forums.

I've often said that us lot here aren't representative of normal people but I think that maybe comparing us to those on Friendface is a good thing... and makes us look normal :D

There was a thread here earlier this year or end of last year that mentioned how this forum ain't as active as it was before..

I've seen that trend on other forums too. Check Facebook group pages. You don't even have to add your real life mates and do all that Facebook timeline nonsense to join a Facebook group dedicated to your hobbies

I'd agree that Facebook Groups are popular, I'm in several myself for large format photography, but I'm not sure that directly equates to forums dying? This thread alone seems to be pretty busy!

I could easily get back into the Sony system but can't see the real need yet.
I'm always keeping a eye on Sony's new stuff etc, but for me the A7RII too much.
At present I'm trying not to give into GAS and but new Apple gear and a DJI Mavic Pro :eek: lol

Samsung Smartwatch arrived today too...... I wanted to wait for an A7riii in an A9 body but the rumours suggest thats late this year early next year now so I was willing to take the jump!

Its all @addicknchips fault! He was right in the Fuji forum when he said I wouldn't last going back to an XT2 and he's right, I went back and re-processed some of last years stuff using the new X-Transformer and still wasn't happy with them, bloody X-Trans!!!

Is that as well as your Fuji medium format (and a D750 if your signature is still current)? Is there a reason (apart from GAS!) that all three systems are required? Is there not a crossover in what they offer?

Not been updated in a long time, the D750 is long long gone. No the A7rii is a replacement for the GFX50, it was great getting to try the medium format lit but I've actually ended up breaking even on the GFX so I'm happy. Ultimately the difference between the A7rii (and I suspect a similar mp Canon 5DSR) isn't that great although the RAW files are amazing I couldn't see a huge, huge difference and I really couldn't justifiy having almost £10,000 tied up in the kit even though I can afford it (no kids thankfully!!!). Best camera I've ever used but having £5000 in a body along was a little nuts, also the recent firmware update to aid moving the focus point on the A7rii has made a huge difference to its usability for me.

Tbh I think Chris has the crown now.

I wear it with pride!!! Its been great to be able to swap around and try almost everything, I actually had a full Fuji XT2 kit (Body, Grip, 16-55, 16mm, 23mm, 100-400 and 56mm) ordered before I cancelled and ordered the Sony.

Compared to Facebook groups.. Yes I have and Facebook groups have far more active members then forums.

Your not wrong there, some of the Facebook Groups are huge, the only let down is that there are a far wider range of complete morons on Facebook who seem to almost seek out confrontation..... no-one ever does that on here....

Not compared to fuji thread as some mentioned before.

One thread doesn't make a forum though? You could say the forum is limited and dying if you use a slow thread or that the forum is busy and varied if you reference another. For me personally, forums have as much of a place as Facebook groups do. The main difference is that FB groups can tend to contain people from all over the world whereas forums tend to end up more country-specific on the whole.

One thread doesn't make a forum though? You could say the forum is limited and dying if you use a slow thread or that the forum is busy and varied if you reference another. For me personally, forums have as much of a place as Facebook groups do. The main difference is that FB groups can tend to contain people from all over the world whereas forums tend to end up more country-specific on the whole.
I'll see if I can dig that generic thread here that discussed forums dying in general.

I see it as many seem to flock on Facebook groups now

Samsung Smartwatch arrived today too...... I wanted to wait for an A7riii in an A9 body but the rumours suggest thats late this year early next year now so I was willing to take the jump!

Its all @addicknchips fault! He was right in the Fuji forum when he said I wouldn't last going back to an XT2 and he's right, I went back and re-processed some of last years stuff using the new X-Transformer and still wasn't happy with them, bloody X-Trans!!!

Not been updated in a long time, the D750 is long long gone. No the A7rii is a replacement for the GFX50, it was great getting to try the medium format lit but I've actually ended up breaking even on the GFX so I'm happy. Ultimately the difference between the A7rii (and I suspect a similar mp Canon 5DSR) isn't that great although the RAW files are amazing I couldn't see a huge, huge difference and I really couldn't justifiy having almost £10,000 tied up in the kit even though I can afford it (no kids thankfully!!!). Best camera I've ever used but having £5000 in a body along was a little nuts, also the recent firmware update to aid moving the focus point on the A7rii has made a huge difference to its usability for me.

I wear it with pride!!! Its been great to be able to swap around and try almost everything, I actually had a full Fuji XT2 kit (Body, Grip, 16-55, 16mm, 23mm, 100-400 and 56mm) ordered before I cancelled and ordered the Sony.

Your not wrong there, some of the Facebook Groups are huge, the only let down is that there are a far wider range of complete morons on Facebook who seem to almost seek out confrontation..... no-one ever does that on here....

You're welcome. :pint:

My GF and her family and friends are all on Line and it seems very good for sending messages and pictures and forming little groups and talking on line too. I've always found Skype to be unreliable, some days it works but on others the whole conversation consists of "Can you hear me?" but Line just seems to work every time. Some of my family have started using it too. Me and GF aren't on any social media though.

This is the only forum I post regularly on :D

Steve Huff does one of his crazy comparisons, A9 v Olympus MFT...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2017/06/20/crazy-comparison-sony-a9-vs-olympus-em1-mkii/

TBH I don't think this is particularly illuminating. The 7-14mm is open to flare and that's really the only thing it shows for me, higher ISO / low light and heavy cropping are IMO the things which would be more likely to show the differences between the kit in a final picture.

Still, it's there if anyone has 5 minutes to fill.

From the Rumor site to Photography Blog and a review of the Samyang 35mm f2.8.

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/samyang_af_35mm_f2_8_fe_review/

They say...

"The Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8 FE does have a natural competitor in the form of the almost identical Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 35mm F2.8 ZA lens, which was released along with the very first Sony Alpha E-mount camera back in 2013. The Samyang AF 35mm is significantly cheaper and slightly lighter, while the Sonnar T* FE 35mm additionally offers dust- and moisture-resistantance, includes a lens hood and doesn’t suffer so badly from chromatic aberrations. There really isn’t much else to choose between them, though, so unless you’re prepared to pay handsomely for the Zeiss name and a certain level of weather-proofing, we’d definitely recommend the Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8 FE instead."

That's nice.

But note that in their review they note that the Samyang displays "quite prevalent" CA.

Still, it's quite a bit cheaper than the Sony lens.

PS.
Reading on, they say that manual focus over ride isn't available, you have to switch to MF.

Last edited:
From the Rumor site to Photography Blog and a review of the Samyang 35mm f2.8.

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/samyang_af_35mm_f2_8_fe_review/

They say...

"The Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8 FE does have a natural competitor in the form of the almost identical Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 35mm F2.8 ZA lens, which was released along with the very first Sony Alpha E-mount camera back in 2013. The Samyang AF 35mm is significantly cheaper and slightly lighter, while the Sonnar T* FE 35mm additionally offers dust- and moisture-resistantance, includes a lens hood and doesn’t suffer so badly from chromatic aberrations. There really isn’t much else to choose between them, though, so unless you’re prepared to pay handsomely for the Zeiss name and a certain level of weather-proofing, we’d definitely recommend the Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8 FE instead."

That's nice.

But note that in their review they note that the Samyang displays "quite prevalent" CA.

Still, it's quite a bit cheaper than the Sony lens.

PS.
Reading on, they say that manual focus over ride isn't available, you have to switch to MF.

I wonder how much of the Zeiss lens CA is being corrected by Sonys image processor vs samyang if its even being corrected at all.

Last edited:
So, a lot of talking in this thread, but does anyone own an A9, and more importantly, is anyone using it for its intended professional sports purposes?

Any interest in doing a little stock take of what everyone has?

Me -

A7 (ordered before they hit the shops and still going strong) :D
28-70mm kit lens. Unused :D
35mm f2.8.
55mm f1.8.
Various old manual lenses.
Minolta Rokkor 24, 28mm f2.8's, 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.2, 1.4, 85mm f2, 135mm f2.8, Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro.
Olympus Zuiko 24, 28mm f2.8's, 50mm f1.8, f1.4, 85mm f2, 135mm f3.5.
Canon FD 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8.
An old Tokina 70-210mm.

If people fancy seeing what we all have maybe they could copy and past so we get a list rather than a post here and there.

Last edited:
Me:
A9
A6000
FE16-35
FE55
85mm Batis
FE90 Macro (very nearly went in p/ex for A9)
FE70-200 f4

I do miss a 24-70 but am enjoying the 16-35.

I p/ex'd the A7R2 for the A9, along with my Nikon D800e and 70-200f2.8 VR2, the Nikon wasn't being used enough due to weight, but the A7R2 wasn't quick enough in some situations and I did lose shots.

The A9 should cover all I will need, albeit at a cost, but it is a while since we paid the mortgage off and I have had a lot of birthdays, so we all need treats, don't we :)

I am now looking forward to some sports photography, and the acclaimed Samyang 35mm.

A6000

Sony 50/1.8

Samyang 12/2

Sony 16-50

OM Zuiko 50/3.5 macro

35/1.4 CCTV

Selection of 35mm/Medium Format/Large Format/Instax custom build cameras and am currently putting together a Kickstarter campaign to create a brand new Acrylic Large Format field camera :0)

Back