The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

How does the a7ii compare to the a7rii and the xt2? I've had the XT2 and I didnt get on with it.

I'm sure someone would send you some raw files to work on if it'll help.

I have the A7mk1 but if there are no other volunteers I'll agree to send you some raws if you want them. Someone with a newer camera may come forward though, if you'd like some raws.

I think people with the Sigma 12-24mm used to hold or blutac filters to the inbuilt lens hood. I used mine a few times with the bucket in place and a filter holder screwed to it but of course it only stopped vignetting at the longer lengths, I can't remember exactly at what length though but probably 20mm plus. Maybe there'll be similar workarounds for the Sony.

Managed to order the new Nisi Holder for it, they said it could take 14 days (and I'm away to Berlin next week) but its been shipped by UPS and due for delivery on Monday!

Yeah like Alan said you basically press a button which activates the af movement then you can move the point.... with your Nikon you just press the d pad side arrow and it moves. Basically 2 step process vs 1... I think the a7rii and a9 allow a 1 step process now though although I may be wrong.

Its not quite 1 step now but the recent firmware change has made it a hell of a lot better than it once was, not quite as good as the dedicated "stick" on the Fuji or A9 but does the job for now!

How does the a7ii compare to the a7rii and the xt2? I've had the XT2 and I didnt get on with it.

The A7ii and XT2 are probably more comparable than the A7rii and XT2.
AF wise I think the Fuji is better, especially for any kind of action but it seems that depending on the lens that Eye AF is very good on the Sony and generally for most things I can't have any complaints with the A7rii. The A7ii AF isn't in the same ball-park in my opinion, its improved over the older A7/A7r bodies but not up there with the A7rii or Fuji.

Also IQ wise the A7ii and Fuji are both 24mp sensors, albeit full frame v crop, if your happy with the Fuji sensor then I personally think it delivers nicer IQ than the A7ii but thats a personal choice.
The A7rii obviously is 42mp which is up there with almost anything currently save for the 50mp Canon's and Fuji Medium Format, the amount of detail is staggering and thats probably the main thing that made me realise that I was as well with the A7rii over the more expensive Fuji GFX Medium format, there isn't a significant enough difference in IQ.

Depends what you shoot but given you didn't like the XT2 before I can't see anything that will change that now, there are things that annoy on the Sony's and they're not as ergonomic as the Fuji (again in my opinion) but with the new A9 body it looks like Sony are addressing some of that to a degree with a slightly larger grip, AF "nubbin" and extra dial. The way I have the A7rii setup its quite "fuji like" especially when using a lens that has an aperture ring!

Thanks for the 70-200 f4 recommendations, arrived today, really nice bit of kit (not sure about white though!)

Top tip

71tp3lqWFTL._SL1500_.jpg

Lovely shots :D

My Sigma 50mm macro jammed today and I'm gutted... I'll send it off to be fixed, I hope it can be, but I'll be without it for a while :(

Wowza.

It's a shame the FE 50mm f2.8 didn't work for me, I doubt I'll waste time on another. Come on Sigma!

The beauty of the old Sigma I have in Minolta SR mount (I think that's what Rokkors are) is that I can use it on any of my cameras.

There are two on ebay, one in FD and the other in Oly mount. I'm surprised to find any as it's quite a rare thing and worth looking for as it goes to 1:1 without a tube and many of the macro lenses of that time can't do 1:1 without their tube.

Last edited:
Hi all. Has anyone been using the A9 for weddings? I recently got the A7r2 with a few primes to dip my toe so to speak. Overall I'm loving it but obviously there are a few drawbacks which the A9 fixes many of.

However, one area I am particularly keen to know is what the AF is like in the dark? At the moment the A7r2 is practically useless once the light is low. So for situations like night portraits or first dances, I can't really use it.

Don't look.... but there's an A6000 in the for sale section for £260 + postage. That's a very tempting price... but not for me as I have too many cameras and not enough time to use them.

This would be great for an A7x user though as, obviously, you can use the same lenses :D

Hi all. Has anyone been using the A9 for weddings? I recently got the A7r2 with a few primes to dip my toe so to speak. Overall I'm loving it but obviously there are a few drawbacks which the A9 fixes many of.

However, one area I am particularly keen to know is what the AF is like in the dark? At the moment the A7r2 is practically useless once the light is low. So for situations like night portraits or first dances, I can't really use it.
You mentioned it's useless in lowlight, is that because it's mirrorless and they all seem to struggle when it's somewhat darker? Do you push the ISO? I've not used one so I'm just wondering

There is a Sony A9 vs Nikon D5 video on YouTube which towards the end shows the A9's low-light focusing ability, looks very impressive to me.
During my limited testing it seems quicker to focus in lower light situations but the A7RII wasn't bad either, it was only in the very extreme levels of low light the A7RII struggled/hunted.
Its hard to quantify in words to be honest.

Back