The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Could be worse, look at what Leica charge for a slow focusing brick that gives banding under artificial light and a standard zoom.
Very true, with Sony you are getting great technology and forward progress.... its a great system just like Fuji. :)

You guys crack me up. Seriously.
Of course they use Panasonic tech why the hell wouldn't they.
Panasonic use LG panels in there £7k TV! It doesn't make it s***. They tech that tech and move it on.
I bet Sony don't even make their own stuff in there camera. Bet there are parts outsourced.

Panasonic use LG panels in there £7k TV! It doesn't make it s***. They tech that tech and move it on.
I bet Sony don't even make their own stuff in there camera. Bet there are parts outsourced.

Some parts may be, but the core components will be in house - it's not like they can't make their own sensors (I mean, who would outsource that :D)

Ah but Leica have to add their unique unicorn tears to the camera in their secret laboratory in Germany ;0)

I agree that the SL is an impressive slab of aluminium but surely what's more important is the way a camera performs? If it's only using Contrast Detect AF, it's technically no better than an original A7 in actual performance regardless of the brand loyalty. Dan's already said a few times that the AF performance as the light gets lower can be hit and miss so he stops down the aperture and uses multi-point autofocus to try and capture the right moments. (Edit, this is the same problem with all contrast-detect only mirrorless cameras, hence the introduction of phase detect AF in later Sonys)

Last edited:
Ah but Leica have to add their unique unicorn tears to the camera in their secret laboratory in Germany ;0)

I agree that the SL is an impressive slab of aluminium but surely what's more important is the way a camera performs? If it's only using Contrast Detect AF, it's technically no better than an original A7 in actual performance regardless of the brand loyalty. Dan's already said a few times that the AF performance as the light gets lower can be hit and miss so he stops down the aperture and uses multi-point autofocus to try and capture the right moments. (Edit, this is the same problem with all contrast-detect only mirrorless cameras, hence the introduction of phase detect AF in later Sonys)
Yes but that issue with the AF is a minor set back as the images are superb and surely thats key right. f*** if they are focus or not.

Yes but that issue with the AF is a minor set back as the images are superb and surely thats key right. f*** if they are focus or not.
They ain't superb if the images are out of focus.

The sl is an expensive paper weight. Seriously get an a9 or a d5 for the same price. Or just flush 5k down the toilet.

That's Sony sensor. Battery and cpu inside that sony. They don't outsource a lot of stuff.

It's these comments why I left here before!
Calm down Neil, people are only having fun. It's all in fun and fun is essential and if you feel the heat too much just go back and look at some of the pictures I've posted and then you'll really have some ammo to fire :D

As an older dude (I'm 56 now...:() who grew up with film I can see the attraction of the whole Leica RF thing and it's good that they're kept it going into the digital age rather than relying on selling a tiny number of film cameras at very expensive prices. But there's the lenses too of course and at least people have digital cameras to use them on now although lets not forget that Epson got there first :D Leica are filling a niche as if you want a manual digital RF what other choice is there and the have a loyal fan base and good luck to them.

The only thing I'd criticise are the rebadged Panasonics. I can't really criticise Leica for selling them but I will have a quiet laugh at the people who buy them, I just don't get why anyone would.

PS.
Of course companies don't make everything. There's a whole supply chain there supplying everything from stuff like screws and plastic mouldings through electronic components, wiring and circuit boards and on to whole modules.

Last edited:
Quality of raws, camera and glass.
For me I don't see the quality of raws and glass better then Sony or Canon.

The body is nice though but the poor af and buffer and size of the camera puts me off it.

I would probably get the range finder instead as it's lighter.

I find Leica RF's on the large and heavy side and they're a faff, I had Canon and Voigtlander :D

I was torn between the Loxia and the Distagon after trying it actually... cost isn't massively different and the AF and f1.4 would probably make the difference, looming possibility of a Sigma Art f1.4 35mm though means the Distagon has gone back, too big to carry all the time, might as well just carry the 24-70 GM!

I was torn between the Loxia and the Distagon after trying it actually... cost isn't massively different and the AF and f1.4 would probably make the difference, looming possibility of a Sigma Art f1.4 35mm though means the Distagon has gone back, too big to carry all the time, might as well just carry the 24-70 GM!

I bet the Sigma will be very similar in size just not price ;)

Back