The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Which 24-70 do you have?
Looking forward to seeing some pics.

I'm currently debating the 55mm or the 85mm

I plumped for the Sony 24-70 f2.8 GM when I bought my A7rii, generally a 24-70 will cover off almost all of my usage but prefer something small when travelling.
Its expensive but its really worth the money in my opinion, nice lens and actually on its own attached to the A7rii its not all that big and heavy, I'd maybe be tempted next time to take just it and 21mm...

Tempted by a longer prime myself to save taking the 70-200 everywhere, Loxia 85mm looks nice but its hard to overlook the Batis 85mm.

Well that was quick, the A6000/16-50 has sold! I've got mixed feelings about selling it because it's an awesome camera but time to move on. Having my eye on a Samyang 85/1.4 is making me feel better ;0)

I've got one i've been meaning to sell! Just need to actually put it up on the website, haha. It's been 6 months!

YaY!

My much loved Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro is back from repair :D

The lens is sticky and with a 48mm push fit lens cap forced onto it (it took force to get it off) instead of the 52mm pinch fit I sent it with :(

Dunno if I'll send anything to them again :(

I used A7 with FE35 as walkaround for a fair while. Its perfectly fine without IS, just practice your handholding and for anything particularly long exposure carry a tripod ;)

p.s. My olympus om 21mm is on for sale in the sales forum incase you are still interested :)

How does the A7 work with the 28mm f2? Neither have IS so would this work as a walk around/travel lens?

Cheers
Fine I would have thought, from going back to my pre IS days, I used to work on 1/focal length as a general rule for handholding, so based on that you would be fine with shutter speeds down to 1/25 (obviously everyone's handholding ability differs but given the lack of size and weight, I shouldn't have thought there would be an issue

Couple from Berlin, will post a proper thread in the Architecture & Urban section:

Berlin Cathedral & TV Tower (A7rii & 24-70 GM)
Berliner Dom Light Trails by Chris Mitchell, on Flickr

Olympic Stadium (in dreadful weather!) (A7rii & 21mm f2.8 Loxia)
Olympiastadion - Berlin by Chris Mitchell, on Flickr

Reichstag (German Parliament) (A7rii & 21mm f2.8 Loxia)
Reichstag - Berlin by Chris Mitchell, on Flickr

Really great set of pics! Number 2 in particular, very moody.

Alex
by david357 on Talk Photography

At last a pic from me from the A9, from a group session attempting Hollywood style one-light portraits.
This is Alex with apologies for the hair, which came from ebay and is probably made out of recycled cola bottles!
Lens was the 55mm f1.8, 1/200 @f%.6, iso160.
Very pleased with the autofocus in the dimly lit room, as this image has not had any sharpening added in pp.

Apologies for not posting sooner, I have been on holiday for a couple of weeks, and as I hadn't had time to insure the A9 before going, I used my A6000 while the A9 stayed in a secure location!

Last edited:
Couple from Berlin, will post a proper thread in the Architecture & Urban section:

Berlin Cathedral & TV Tower (A7rii & 24-70 GM)
Berliner Dom Light Trails by Chris Mitchell, on Flickr

Olympic Stadium (in dreadful weather!) (A7rii & 21mm f2.8 Loxia)
Olympiastadion - Berlin by Chris Mitchell, on Flickr

Reichstag (German Parliament) (A7rii & 21mm f2.8 Loxia)
Reichstag - Berlin by Chris Mitchell, on Flickr

Great shots, looking forward to seeing the rest of them

I've just found a good deal on a used FE 50/1.8 so should have that in the next few days. I've read a few different reviews about it so will see how it performs when it arrives :0)

Last edited:
Afternoon ladies and gents.
After much personal debating i have decided to enter into the murky world of Sony.
Looking to pick up a used A5100 with 16-50 lens. It seems a good combo for popping in my bag when out on the bike or for the wife to slip on her hand bag.
If anyone wants to assist with my purchase i have placed a wanted ad in the classifieds.

In the meantime im going to have a good thumb through this thread and acquaint myself with the virtues of shooting Sony (y)

@jonneymendoza how did you find shooting the F1 with the A9 compared to last time with the A7? I know no blackout must have really helped, but how did you find AF acquisition speed and tracking in comparison?

@jonneymendoza how did you find shooting the F1 with the A9 compared to last time with the A7? I know no blackout must have really helped, but how did you find AF acquisition speed and tracking in comparison?
I had no long tele native lenses to try so i was forced to use my 100-400 canon lens and had to pre focus and then AF. After it locked focus it was able to track the cars perfectly.

There was also the famous red arrow display and using same technique i could track the jets perfectly. The tracking on this camera is insane.

Waiting for the 100-400 G Master to go in stock then off goes the canon version on sale as well as my canon 16-35 f2.8 mk2 L lens. slowly migrating to Sony.

I think i may still keep the 5d4 for studio work along with the 85mm 1.2 and 24-70. the rest may go though.

Here are some F1 pics.

not gone through them all

f1-silverstone-race-day-1106.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

f1-silverstone-race-day-629.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

Nice. Man you were close for the post race celebrations, guess you were right at the front at Club then? My wife's a bit claustrophobic so we had to watch the celebrations from the stand, looked pretty packed down there. I'll see if I can spot you in any of my pictures ;) Did you get soaked whilst you were waiting?

Glad to hear the camera lived up to expectations, will have to try one one day (y)

Nice. Man you were close for the post race celebrations, guess you were right at the front at Club then? My wife's a bit claustrophobic so we had to watch the celebrations from the stand, looked pretty packed down there. I'll see if I can spot you in any of my pictures ;) Did you get soaked whilst you were waiting?

Glad to hear the camera lived up to expectations, will have to try one one day (y)
O did you go too? Yea I got soaked and both my a7r2 and A9 was exposed lol.

O did you go too? Yea I got soaked and both my a7r2 and A9 was exposed lol.
You know I did as we were talking about it on the joy of photography FB page ;)

Lol it's like he doesn't know who you are or remembers the rules of the group. Rule number 1 no one talks about the group lol
I missed that rule :LOL:

He's well dodgy, want your phone number next.
Nah, bank details. I've recently inherited £600m from my Nigerian mum and need a UK bank to transfer the money in to ;) :naughty:

Spent all day going round in circles!

Budget is probably the biggest prohibiter in my life.

I'm undecided on whether the 85mm batis is worth the extra cash over the 85mm normal read the reviews and seen both but I have no real experience of either. Or do I spend a little more and got for the 70-200 f4. Or will I just regret it and want the f2.8 of which is divorce money.

Back