The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

do you have your own printer or do you use someone?
Own
6445c70f5d6b3c5ca772a75401c00e08.jpg

A9 btw not A7R2. How many of u lot actually print your work?

I average about a print a week. Sometimes I'm asked for pictures months after I took them. I haven't been asked for a large print for some time though. The last big print was one of a dozen or so to go all the way down someones staircase, big house.

Maybe it's an age thing? How many younger people would ask for a print? Do younger people have albums?

I have an Epson R2880 which can give very nice prints but also (as many Epsons do) suffers from the Dark Print issue which can be a PITA to sort out. This is only the second A3 printer I've had and replaced my previous HP which gave lovely prints but couldn't feed paper reliably. This Epson reverses the situation and feeds paper perfectly but suffers the dreaded dark print issue.

I wouldn't recommend Epson to anyone without first mentioning dark prints. And this issue has nothing to do with screen calibration or any other red herrings, it's an Epson issue that other printers don't seem to have.

I used to have a load of A3 prints on the walls but I took them down for redecorating and never put them back as I decided I liked the uncluttered look :D They're all stacked up against the wall now. I have boxes of small to A4 prints and just a few smaller prints on the walls.

Heavily cropped shot and I printed it at a4 size and came out amazing View attachment 106597
A9 btw not A7R2. How many of u lot actually print your work?
I print a lot, I've an Epson P800 with roll attachment.
I create my own A4 photo books and print a lot of photos for them as well as photos to hang on my walls, I do a lot of A2 printing and have printed a couple of large pano's (1.5 metres long) made my own frame and hung it.

I print a lot, I've an Epson P800 with roll attachment.
I create my own A4 photo books and print a lot of photos for them as well as photos to hang on my walls, I do a lot of A2 printing and have printed a couple of large pano's (1.5 metres long) made my own frame and hung it.
Any tips on how to create own photo book?

Any tips on how to create own photo book?

I use the photo book albums in the attached image. You bend the book back on its self and insert the A4 photos in the spine then close the book and it clamps them in position.
I use doubled sided photo paper (Fotospeed matt and lustre). I've found matt paper is best as the lustre paper can show reflections from lights etc when trying to look at the photos.
I put a 15mm border on the spine side. The photobooks come in various sizes but I just use A4, you can get landscape and portrait.
The cheapest place to buy them is fineartfoto , the photo books are about £20 for 2, get the paper from On line paper.

I use the photo book albums in the attached image. You bend the book back on its self and insert the A4 photos in the spine then close the book and it clamps them in position.
I use doubled sided photo paper (Fotospeed matt and lustre). I've found matt paper is best as the lustre paper can show reflections from lights etc when trying to look at the photos.
I put a 15mm border on the spine side. The photobooks come in various sizes but I just use A4, you can get landscape and portrait.
The cheapest place to buy them is fineartfoto , the photo books are about £20 for 2, get the paper from On line paper.

That looks awsome. Going to check that out

Looks really nice and definitely an improvement over my plastic storage boxes :D

Be aware though that home printing is expensive! :D

My R2880 waste ink pad thingy recently filled, Epson quoted a lot to fix it but instead I fitted an external bottle mod and reset the counter.

It's worth mentioning for people looking to buy a printer that paper and ink cost money and eventually your printer will fill with waste ink should you keep it that long. I don't know what the cost per print is, I think I worked it out as something between 50p to £1 per A4. Could be more.

I can get 12x8 for 50p (close enough to A4. I don't really get A4 format ratio, 12x8 is easier as camera shoots 3:2 ratio).
But the delivery charge is £6. So to make it work I need to wait and bulk order.

Last edited:
I think that only advantages for home printing are immediacy (you can have the print today) and you're in control of quality assuming your printer can supply the quality you want :D and should you have any issues with prints someone else does. As I may have mentioned, I've only ever paid for one A3 print and it was terrible so I redid it myself. That place is no longer there though.

Well as for home printing I wouldn't know where to start and what to look for in buying a printer. :(

I don't know how cost effective it is to print at home but the way I see it is that photography is my hobby, it's not a cost effective hobby from the start, by the time you buy a camera (or 2 or 3), lenses, camera bagssss, tripods, filters, and god knows what other bits and bobs your have already spent heaps.
Then there's the cost of actually getting to places to take photos, cost of software to edit them etc so the extra cost of a printer and paper and ink doesn't really make huge difference.
I enjoy the whole process from window shopping my new kit, to ordering it, receiving it, going out taking photos, editing them in PP, sharing photos online and printing the ones I select to either go in a photo book or on the wall, I love printing my own, having all the control and beeen able to get the print immediately and reprint if I'm not happy, so I'm happy to pay a premium if there is one for home printing.

I can't say that I like printing, in fact I don't and the thought makes me apprehensive because my Epson is such a PITA. I can do a print in 5 minutes but if it's in a bad mood it may take 30. I keep an axe by it just to make sure it knows the consequences of throwing a major wobbler.

hmmm.... now you guys got me thinking.
So I have two difference use cases:
1. Family prints for memories - 70% 6x4, 20% 6x6 (yes I like square crop), 5% 12x8, 5% 18x12
2. photography shots - 50% A4/12x8/9x9/12x12, 20% A3/18x12, 30% 6x4/6x6

But I print lot more family prints than photography shots. So if I could print 6x4/6x6 that'd cover most of my prints very well (so perhaps a canon selphy?). but it'd be nice if I could print up to 12x8 or A4.

anyone recommend a decent hand strap for the A7? not keen on neck straps!

I used a combination of a wii strap around my wrist and a simple velcro index finger loop on my A6000 so I could hold the camera with one hand and was secure. I've transferred the finger strap across to my A7 and it works just as well. If I'm shooting an event with two cameras, I generally have one on my belt with a Capture Clip type holder and the other on a Q strap (sling style strap with a tripod bolt to secure the camera).

I don't know how cost effective it is to print at home but the way I see it is that photography is my hobby, it's not a cost effective hobby from the start, by the time you buy a camera (or 2 or 3), lenses, camera bagssss, tripods, filters, and god knows what other bits and bobs your have already spent heaps.
Then there's the cost of actually getting to places to take photos, cost of software to edit them etc so the extra cost of a printer and paper and ink doesn't really make huge difference.
I enjoy the whole process from window shopping my new kit, to ordering it, receiving it, going out taking photos, editing them in PP, sharing photos online and printing the ones I select to either go in a photo book or on the wall, I love printing my own, having all the control and beeen able to get the print immediately and reprint if I'm not happy, so I'm happy to pay a premium if there is one for home printing.
I entirely agree with the above. 99% of what I shoot will be left on a drive or website or 500px but those I do print (almost always A3) on a good printer from my 42mp images never ceases to amaze me with the detail produced. This takes the photographic exercise through the entire process. I wouldn't have bought the A7R2 just to stick some jpegs on the web

hmmm.... now you guys got me thinking.
So I have two difference use cases:
1. Family prints for memories - 70% 6x4, 20% 6x6 (yes I like square crop), 5% 12x8, 5% 18x12
2. photography shots - 50% A4/12x8/9x9/12x12, 20% A3/18x12, 30% 6x4/6x6

But I print lot more family prints than photography shots. So if I could print 6x4/6x6 that'd cover most of my prints very well (so perhaps a canon selphy?). but it'd be nice if I could print up to 12x8 or A4.

One of my sisters prints a lot. She has some cheapo printer from Morrisons or somewhere and the quality seems to be good, it'll print A4, but the cartridges for it are the price of a new printer... but then again it was cheap :D I think a full set of inks for mine is somewhere between £80-90 and it's always running out of something.

This is precisely how I feel about it, I use an Epson PRO 3800 A2 printer I've had it for a number of years and never had any trouble with it, I use a Permajet bulk ink system which although expensive to start with has paid for it's self many times over, I have needed to replace the waste ink cartridge a couple of times which is not cheap but is quick and simple to do, I find that I get just as much satisfaction from watching a print coming out of the printer as I did years ago watching a black and white print appear in a tray of developer.

Last edited:
Back