The Autumnal colours of Chamonix (pt 2).

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
[Censored] Fruitcake Bat
Edit My Images
No
Rather than doing another chronicle post of the day I decided to focus on the selected picks from the 3rd day hike to Le Prarion. I feel these are the better ones of the three days.

Morning was miserable. I may or may not post something later. After waiting around for the break in the clouds I decided just to go up as high as I can and make the most of it. I never explored that side of the area so it was at least interesting at the personal level. I managed to drive up a few hundred meters to one of the chair lifts base and from there onwards it was almost another 1km up the slopes. Above the mist line the views were interesting but maybe not special enough to post here. Eventually I came across a vey autumnal looking group of leafy trees. I immediately knew it was 'the place' to shoot. The plan was to make an image showing the transition from autumn to the winter. It was perfect. As it was quite large area and very wooded it took me a while to home in it to the best possible compositions; there was always something in the way, something here and there; it was simply real, natural mountain slopes landscape.
Late morning I feel suited the images best. Earlier, there was no light at all, and later on it would be flatly lit, and all going golden in the end. Having blue tones and contrast in the mountains I felt was important to the images.

So here are a few of my picks in no particular order.

P.S. These are in Adobe RGB so if it looks really weird your browser needs configuring for colour management.

Last edited:
Number 2 is probably the pick for me as the tree line contrasts with the mountain, but I'd remove quite a bit of sky to balance the image. 5 is ok too but I wonder how much thought went into your compositions, I have a feeling more could be done and it might have meant shooting at a different time of day to increase depth. They're very good records of the scene you had in front of you but I don't think we're seeing Long Lens Photography the artist, it just depends what you're looking to achieve with the images? Blue sky conditions are often very difficult for wide views of mountain areas unless you're looking down into valleys and excluding skies or focussing on objects lit by a setting sun etc.

Number six could do with cropping out that encroaching tree in the bottom left corner.

2 and 5 with a bit more ground.... I had that in reserve so hope this improves it. No 1 is not there as the path looked pretty messy stepping back - and then there were more trees and hills and even cables. Sometimes you really don't have much choice and this I honestly believe represents the best possible compromise at the location.
I have discussed why this time of day - because it needs sunlight on trees and mountain looking cool and contrasty. All golden light would be nice but not what I wanted at all.

Last edited:
Back