The bad old days?

Edit My Images
No
Just came across this in my files. Might be of interest ;)
I'm not the author btw.

According to today’s regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in
the 40’s, 50’s, 60’s or even maybe the early 70’s probably shouldn’t have
survived.

Our cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paint. We had no
childproof tops on medicine bottles, door or cabinets. And when we rode our bikes,
we had no helmets! (Not to mention the risk we took hitchhiking).

As children, we would ride in cars with no seatbelts or air bags. Riding in the back of
a truck or on the trailer of a tractor on a warm day was always a special treat. We
drank water from the garden hose or the tap and not from a bottle.
Horrors!

We ate cakes, bread and butter with dripping on and drank lemonade and pop
with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always
outside playing.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died
from this. We would spend hours building our carts out of old prams and then rode
them down the hill, only to find out we had forgotten the brake. After running into the
bushes a few times we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play outside all day, as long as we were back
when the street lights came on. No one was able to reach us all day.
No mobile phones! Unthinkable!!

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes. No video games at all. No 99
channels on TV, VHS, VCR’s, DVD’s,surround sound, personal mobile phones,
personal computers, or Internet chat rooms.

We had friends! We went outside and found them. We played rounders and sometimes the
ball would really hurt. We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there was
no litigation from these accidents. They were just accidents. No one was to blame but us.
Remember accidents?

We had fights and we punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get
over it. We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms – and although we
were told it would happen, we were not put out, and the worms didn’t live inside us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend’s home and knocked on the door, or rang a bell, or just
walked in and talked to them. Some school children weren’t as smart as others. So
they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade. Some were relegated.
Horrors!

Tests were not adjusted for any reason. Our Actions were our own. Consequences were expected.
The idea of our parents bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law. Imagine that!
This generation has produced some of the best risk takers, problem solvers and inventors ever. The last 50 years has been an
explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal
with it all. Are you one of them?
Congratulations!

Please show this article to others who have had the luck to grow up as kids before
lawyers, governments and ‘do gooders’ regulated our lives for our own good.

Last edited:
Before writing something like that a little research is advisable. For example...

1573734845947.png

And yet those born in the 40's- early 70's are the ones who at the time this was written (Nintendo 64 is over 20 years old!) were running our government departments, head up the NHS, run our councils and manage our schools. Those who had the freedom to "have fun" all those years ago are the "do gooders" supposedly ruining it for the generations to follow.

And yet those born in the 40's- early 70's are the ones who at the time this was written (Nintendo 64 is over 20 years old!) were running our government departments, head up the NHS, run our councils and manage our schools. Those who had the freedom to "have fun" all those years ago are the "do gooders" supposedly ruining it for the generations to follow.

Profound (y)

Please accept my sincere apologies for spoiling your day. I didn't realise it would have such an effect to be honest.
Apology accepted, we all of us have bad days :D. Especially those of us born in the 40's, 50's and 60's (y)

I have never listened to or obeyed anyone else's regulations unless not obeying them risked someone else's safety or was guaranteed to get me locked up or killed. This means I have been able to enjoy my life. Although road Deaths have gone down ( not really related to the original text) deaths and major illnesses from laziness have gone through the roof ! Depression in young people has sky rocketed and many young people are unable communicate. Kids are stabbing each other at an amazing rate and are involved in serious crime ,drugs, violence, theft. So the world for a lot of young people is now totally crap they have no hope
or skills to get out of it or avoid it in the first place. I certainly wouldn't wish to be young now and feel really sorry for them.

I guess the Blitz had an impact on the 41 figure.

As far as I can figure out from a quick Google.....not directly. Obviously lots of people died in the blitz but these wouldn't be counted as road deaths.

My first guess was the blackout but apparently even that isn't entirely true

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...deaths-in-war-time+&cd=12&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

It seems a combination of blackout, alcohol(*) and a lot of people cycling.

If you look at the plummet from 1942 - 1950 that pretty much coincides with petrol rationing. In 1942 there was no petrol for private vehicles and so the roads suddenly got safer. Petrol rationing continued until 1950 when the death rate starts to pick up again. It continues to rise steeply until 1966. In 1967 it suddenly became an offence to drink and drive (though there was a campaign in 1964 discouraging drink driving....) and the death rate started to drop.

So........WWII seems to have inadvertently reduced road deaths.

-----
* BTW I alway assumed beer and other alcohol was severely rationed in WWII but it wasn't. In fact West End pubs had extended licensing hours until 2am and people were allowed to stay in pubs during air raids

As far as I can figure out from a quick Google.....not directly. Obviously lots of people died in the blitz but these wouldn't be counted as road deaths.

My first guess was the blackout but apparently even that isn't entirely true

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...deaths-in-war-time+&cd=12&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

It seems a combination of blackout, alcohol(*) and a lot of people cycling.

If you look at the plummet from 1942 - 1950 that pretty much coincides with petrol rationing. In 1942 there was no petrol for private vehicles and so the roads suddenly got safer. Petrol rationing continued until 1950 when the death rate starts to pick up again. It continues to rise steeply until 1966. In 1967 it suddenly became an offence to drink and drive (though there was a campaign in 1964 discouraging drink driving....) and the death rate started to drop.

So........WWII seems to have inadvertently reduced road deaths.

-----
* BTW I alway assumed beer and other alcohol was severely rationed in WWII but it wasn't. In fact West End pubs had extended licensing hours until 2am and people were allowed to stay in pubs during air raids
Well, there's at least one interesting post in this thread.

No dogs*** for you, just gravel!

(No dogs*** for me, either. Born in the early '60s so subjected to lead paint etc., never ate dogs***. Can remember white ones, just not the taste!)

We ate cakes, bread and butter with dripping on

Had to google what dripping was :p. Sounds gross to be fair.

My wifes Nan always has a tub of lard she uses to cook with, guess its an older person thing. My guts hurt for several days after eating at her house! :ROFLMAO:

There was always a tub of cooking fat (that started as lard) in our fridge, and one of dripping from the Sunday roast, when I was a kid, up to the end of the 70's (I left home in mid-70's). I carried on with the lard myself for at least 10 years after that, until oil became fashionable for cooking and fried food became a bad idea.

Not many people buy Beef in large enough joints to get enough runoff to make decent dripping these days. However some butchers render down scraps and fat to make it for sale, but you never get the best jelly bit.
Beef used to have a better distribution of fat to make the beef tender in the old days... It was this that made the dripping and the beef so good.
my mother used to ask for extra fat to wrap the joint in. and the butcher would wrap and tie it on for her, as he strung it.
You could not afford the 8 to 10+ pound Joints she bought these days. We thought it was the end of the world when Beef reached £1 per pound.
How times change... mind you an average wage was not much more the £5 a week then.

Last edited:
my mother used to ask for extra fat to wrap the joint in. and the butcher would wrap and tie it on for her, as he strung it.
That reminds me, my schoolboy job was working in an old fashioned ( proper ) butchers.
Kidneys came wrapped in their natural fat. "Fat on or off Madam"?

However some butchers render down scraps and fat to make it for sale, but you never get the best jelly bit.
You only get the "jelly bit" once its been used for cooking, that is the juices out of the meat solidified with the cooking fat, once cooled off and set.

edit, of course most of it was poured off, but a little was left in the roasting pan to add flour water and gravy browning, to make a nice rich gravy.
none of this out the packet stuff (y)

Last edited:
That reminds me, my schoolboy job was working in an old fashioned ( proper ) butchers.
Kidneys came wrapped in their natural fat. "Fat on or off Madam"?

You only get the "jelly bit" once its been used for cooking, that is the juices out of the meat solidified with the cooking fat, once cooled off and set.
Butchers get the jelly bit too, when they render as it come from the scraps, but they chuck it away as it does not keep.

Mmmmmm! Thick slice of toasted bloomer with dripping and marmite. ( in the absence of jelly!) :banana:

Mmmmmm! Thick slice of toasted bloomer with dripping and marmite. ( in the absence of jelly!) :banana:
Never thought to try it with Marmite, added to the must try list (y)

I still drink copious amounts of hot bovril ,bit off the subject but today’s oxygen thief’s don’t know what there missing

As far as retailing was concerned, it was pork dripping that was sold as the spreadable kind, as it's soft, beef dripping (of the kind bought in waxed paper packets) is rock hard when cold and was traditionally used as fat for frying things in. Fish and chips cooked in traditional beef dripping is a culinary delight! Suet comes from the fat that encases the beef kidneys. Beef kidney is the sort usually used to make steak and kidney pies and puddings, I'd recommend a ratio of 1/3 kidney to 2/3 stewing steak, with plenty of onion to add sweetness, and topped with a shortcrust pastry - puff pastry is far too stodgy for steak and kidney pie. A thin, shortcrust, steak and kidney pie cooked in a flan dish is delicious served cold from the fridge with salad on a hot day... the downside is having to put the oven on in a heatwave to cook the thing!

make steak and kidney pies and puddings,
Not had a Steak and kidney pudding in a very long time, Mum used to make a bacon pudding too, steamed for ever it seemed :D

Pigs trotters / brawn anyone?

As far as retailing was concerned, it was pork dripping that was sold as the spreadable kind.
Schmaltz, which is based on chicken fat, is delicious as a spread. On fried bread it is the food of the gods. :banana:

I still drink copious amounts of hot bovril ,bit off the subject but today’s oxygen thief’s don’t know what there missing
Always had Bovril at football as a kid.

When I started going again in my 30’s, I started drinking it again - my son always has it too, we get the mickey taken by mates though.

A bowl of Twiglets with a cold beer ......... better than salted nuts or pork scratchings in my opinion......

When I started going again in my 30’s, I started drinking it again - my son always has it too, we get the mickey taken by mates though.

Bovril is awesome, used to get it after swimming lessons. Whenever we take our Daughter swimming, we get it from the vending machine, there's something about the vended version.

Last edited:

There's nowt wrong with a mug of beef tea on a cold day. (y)

The thought of drinking Bovril always brings the Billy Connoly joke to my mind...

Have to say that I love it, especially with a buttered Ryvita dunked so there's a thin layer of melted butter atop the Bovril.

Back