The best compact camera at the moment?

Edit My Images
No
Strange I know but I'm thinking of going full circle and buying a small compact camera for the pocket.

My recent history of cameras (4 years):

Sony Cybashot 3.2mp - Sold on to someone who thinks the world of it.

Fuji Finepix S5000 - Still have this but it's too bulky for the pocket.

EOS 300D - Returned under warranty, autofocus gave up after 11 months and 40,000 shots.

EOS 350D - Sold on.

EOS 20D - Still have as a back up to the 1D mkII N

EOS 1D mkII N - Prime camera but I'd have to buy special trousers to carry around for day to day snaps.

OK, I need a day to day snapper which I can use for those moments when I'd wished I got the EOS 1D mkII N with me but didn't. Ideally, it should have a +5 megapixel sensor and large quality sharp lens (possibly IS). It should have a fast reaction time ie when I press the button it takes the photo (no delay). Multishot would be very useful. Also the ability to alter the setting from Auto to say Shutter or Apeture priority as well the ability to alter exposure levels and view finder metering. Multiple AF point would be nice as well as a wide range of ISO's. A flash is essential and to be able to control the amount of flash would be rather handy. A large LCD monitor (say 3"). Video is not required.

Any ideas before I waste the Sales Staff time down in my local photography shop.

I had the same problem so very recently Rhodospin ... ;)

Decided to compromise ... so ordered the new K800i SE mobile phone/cybershot 3 MP camera as I desperately needed a new phone too ... hoping it'll do both jobs and save me carrying two gadgets ... :shrug:

Can but wish eh ... :D

I've got a Nikon 5200 and its a brill little camera....mind you my son in law bought the latest version and its even briller!

i doubt you will find one without any shutter lag!

The Canon Digital IXUS 800 IS and Fujifilm FinePix F30 are both excellent compact point and shoot cameras

My friend who sold me his D70 then went out and bought an S70. The S80 is not really an upgrade as the image quakity isn't as good and it doesn't do raw anymore.

You might want to look at the current range of panasonic compacts, very good leica lens, manual controls and IS, although if you want to shoot high ISO i'd look at the fuji onesas the panny's are a bit noisey. If you can, get one with the venus II engine rather than III as it does way too much NR and you end up with soft images. The new panny compacts have just been anounced but have gone up to 10Mp, so will undoubtably be noisy as hell and marginal resolution increases.

Failing that, the canon G6 is pretty good, but chunky.

hth?

rhodopsin said:
Has anyone got the Canon S80 by any chance, if so is it any good (y) :thumbsdown:

I bought the Canon S70 couple of months ago. Its one down from the S80 but theres not that much difference between the two or so I was told. The S70 can do raw image yet the higher priced S80 can't.

The S70 is good, I like it. Has loads of features plus it fits in your pocket :)

Karamac said:
I bought the Canon S70 couple of months ago. Its one down from the S80 but theres not that much difference between the two or so I was told. The S70 can do raw image yet the higher priced S80 can't.

The S70 is good, I like it. Has loads of features plus it fits in your pocket :)

So wot can the S80 do that the S70 can't :thinking:

S70
7.1 MP
DIGIC I
13 Preset Scene and creative modes
Compact Flash memory
1.8 inch LCD
Up to 640x480 movie mode (30 secs)
USB 1

S80
8.1 MP
DIGIC II
21 Preset Scene and creative modes
SD Memory Cards
2.5-inch LCD
Up to 1024 x 768 Movie mode
USB 2

I mentioned the Fuji F30 earlier. Well after reading the DP Review it is definatley a camera I would buy if I was in the market for a new P&S.

Quick overview

ISO 3200 sensitivity at full resolution
6.3 million pixels
3.0x optical zoom
Long-life battery (up to 580 shots)
VGA movie capture of 30 frames per second with sound
Quick response times - Shutter lag 0.02 sec
Aperture & Shutter priority plus 15 new scene modes

the F30 is by far the most capable compact camera on the market when it comes to shooting at higher ISO's - in low light. It also offers one of the highest resolutions on the market, meaning sharp, detailed images (and at lower ISO settings even low contrast detail such as hair and foliage is captured well, without the usual blurring effect of heavy noise reduction). The images are a little less saturated than many consumer cameras, but that's easily fixed - if you want to - by switching to 'chrome' mode or simply tweaking in an application such as Photoshop. Focus is very reliable, white balance excellent in 'normal' situations and color natural and accurate

Higher ISO noise is amazing on this camera

For the first time you have a compact digital camera that offers perfectly usable output from ISO 100-800, with only the slightest loss of fine detail due to noise reduction

Full review : http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/FujifilmF30/

rhodopsin said:
Why :shrug:

Obviously haven't looked at all cameras but the ones i had seen or read reviews on had half to full press shutter lag on them. Only cameras i had seen that had no lag were DSLR's or film SLR.

Even the F30 has lag from 0.3 to 0.8 apart from the live view which is 0.02 which they make a point of saying "this is one of the fastest responses we've ever seen on a compact zoom camera" which means it is not common for them to be that quick. that was why i said about the lag.

That said the F30 does seem to be v.good

I purchased the Power Shot S80 and so far it's rather good - head to head with the EOS 1D mkII N and thing are looking good for the S80 (y)

Back