The bride

… if only the white had been protected! :cool:

I did try and recover that in LR, but I’m working with JPEGs until I get my card with the RAW files back.

I did try and recover that in LR, but I’m working with JPEGs until I get my card with the RAW files back.

The way this jpg is burnt, I sincerely hope the RAW is
not… would be a shame cause it is a cool take, Nick!

Yeah great shot shame on the highlight . As I sit on my phone here I zoomed into the shot just above the highlights and that crop in itself would make a nice image

Yeah great shot shame on the highlight . As I sit on my phone here I zoomed into the shot just above the highlights and that crop in itself would make a nice image

Agreed, you could easily zoom and crop and have a fab image.

Not much you can do with this now I’m afraid, the raw file won’t help either as that bright spot really is too far gone. But with shots like this you’ll learn a lot.....

1) getting it right in camera helps. In this case a closed curtain or using something/someone to block that ray of light would have been the best approach.
2) while I don’t think the raw file will help I’d strongly advise you to shoot raw to both cards
3) don’t assume “the client won’t notice”. What if they show the image to a photography loving friend. What if it’s one of many poor images - suddenly any weak images become ammunition. What if this months “special feature” in whatever bridal mag she’s been reading is “mistakes your photographer shouldn’t make”.
4). Radiators often spoil these images but you can use the curtains to hide some of it.

And of course there are positives. It’s a cracking pose. I love the way she’s dropped and pulled back her right shoulder and the way she’s sitting on her hip. If you asked her to do that then top job.

For me I’d make the window frame the top edge of the image, photoshop out the lights in the corners and the wire bottom right. I’d also like to see her left hand but it’s not ruinous.

Nice photo , Iwonder what it would look like if her face was turned a bit to the right to show a part side of the face as if she had spotted something outside

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the feedback so far. Some really good points to take on board for my next one (Next week!) @ryanyboy She was posed, albeit not by me, but the guy I'm working with. And he used almost those exact words, Sitting on hip, dropping shoulder etc. I later posed some bridesmaids etc, so learning all the while. @realspeed here's a couple of others I took (Unfortunately, all with the blown dress!)

DSCF5431 2 by Nick Brennan, on Flickr

DSCF5444 2 by Nick Brennan, on Flickr

for me the one with her looking to the right is exactly what I prefer, it puts a bit of life into her against looking like a tailors dummy. Well done

People aren't my thing, if they were the only subject left to photograph I'd give up!..... so I've the upmost respect for you lot that do :)

I've had a go at editing this, not because I knew I could, more to see if I could and how it would look with the two exposures manually blended using a layer mask .

Far from perfect but I'm sure, if you took more time, it could be made to look fairly presentable

26426610557_1947831d3f_b.jpg 26426610557_1947831d3f_b edit 3.jpg

People aren't my thing, if they were the only subject left to photograph I'd give up!..... so I've the upmost respect for you lot that do :)

I've had a go at editing this, not because I knew I could, more to see if I could and how it would look with the two exposures manually blended using a layer mask .

Far from perfect but I'm sure, if you took more time, it could be made to look fairly presentable

View attachment 124237 View attachment 124238

I would say that that is about the right level and quite convincing. the folds in the dress are fairly random, and it is almost impossible to predict how they should fall.

View attachment 124237 View attachment 124238

That’s superb! A great edit

Great shot and poise but what a shame about the VERY distracting and ugly radiator.

Some venues Drape and decorate obtrusive radiators.
I do not think any one would object to a photographer taking along a suitable dressing Kit for such occasions. if a suitable key shot location was found during a scouting visit.

In this location, had the drapes been spread from the ties down, to cover the radiator valves, it would have been a great improvement. Even now they could be cloned.

Last edited:
I did actually ask the landlady of the hotel about the radiator and an old cast iron one is planned to replace the modern one

Back