The Buachaille.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
Try as I might, I'm yet to get one of this often taken image myself that I'm happy with although I think this is my best effort so far. For some reason, I just cant nail it. An early start yesterday got us to The Buachaille around 7-30am and it was dull, grey and leaden skies, with a very stubborn cloud hanging over The Buachaiile that just refused to move. It did break up for around a minute, which gave me this image but it soon capped the peak again. I think I've gotten all I can out of the file and I'm pondering the conversion to mono.

The day did improve and I got to see some locations new, the colours are almost there now and later on, there was some decent light about.

Buachaille Etive Mor. by Dale, on Flickr

It is a very nice shot.

Personally I think you do better from the bank higher up (in the mud bath), slightly better perspective in my opinion.

Thank you.

Yes, I got that shot too, I'm still going over yesterday's images. Unusually for me, I took over 100 pics. :snaphappy:

Talking of mudbaths, it's a proper one now, I had to help a guy out who was up to his knees after he blundered into one, near the falls to the left of this image. He was fortunate to get out but it did cost him his welly, which got swallowed in the quagmire.

Cracking capture (y)

The mountain is stunning but I like how the composition makes my eyes wander through through the image so much. Horse for courses. I'd like one of both please!

Personally I think the waterfall is a little too dominant, lovely colours though, but as I always say, photography is a personal thing and if it's what you wanted then you have done your job.

Thanks for the comments everybody.

I've been to the Buachaille approaching 10 times now over the years and I've always photographed it from the higher up position. I've never got a shot of it that I'm entirely happy with, even after Friday's attempt. On the way to Glencoe Friday morning, I'd made my mind up I was going to try something different (for me) to the usual angle as I thought it might work. So, down to the water I climbed and stood there for an hour or so, waiting for that pesky cloud to break up as well as some decent light, which we never really got. The cloud did eventually break up but only for a minute or so which allowed me this shot and it is the best I got of the Buachaille on that day. I do agree, this angle really emphasises the water fall ( the first time I've been there with significant water in the river) and I placed it to fill the foreground, with The Buachaille itself in the background. I like the image but I will be trying again as there are quite a few possibilities there and it's always a learning curve and one day, I will nail it.

I do have a couple of the higher up angle, which I am working through and I will post them if they process ok but I do think they'll be mono versions as it was very much mono light when I took them.

(y)

The waterfall was particularly stunning on Friday.
Just because everyone takes photos of the mountain doesn't mean you have to. It's ok to be different and make the waterfall the main attraction.
Particularly when the mountain was fairly crap that day.
I've not posted any of my waterfall images, as compared to Dales' they're also fairly crap :)

Last edited:
I think its a really nice, balanced image that leads the eye around the scene. Very nicely processed.

Here's one from the other viewpoint, I did rush this a little at the time of taking, I could've put more thought into the composition but that's noted for next time.

I don't think it worked at all in colour as it was all very flat, so I've done a mono conversion and, you guessed it, I'm still not 100% happy with it, it just sems very busy and samey. This shot is becoming a bit of a nemesis. :LOL:

DPP LR CS6 LR JP tp.jpg

Last edited:
because you don’t go there to photograph the waterfall, you go there to photography the mountain with the falls as a feature/foreground interest.

Hmmm, I see what you are saying but for me, I prefer the comp of the first one and find the waterfall works well from this angle. Unfortunately, this is one of those places where once you have seen one you have seen them all especially from the viewpoint you mention.

Here's one from the other viewpoint, I did rush this a little at the time of taking, I could've put more thought into the composition but that's noted for next time.

I don't think it worked at all in colour as it was all very flat, so I've done a mono conversion and, you guessed it, I'm still not 100% happy with it, it just sems very busy and samey. This shot is becoming a bit of a nemesis. :LOL:

View attachment 258218

This isnt working at all in mono for me Dale, think theres a little too much going on IMO.

Hmmm, I see what you are saying but for me, I prefer the comp of the first one and find the waterfall works well from this angle. Unfortunately, this is one of those places where once you have seen one you have seen them all especially from the viewpoint you mention.

This isnt working at all in mono for me Dale, think theres a little too much going on IMO.
I like the first image, I think it maybe would benefit from a 4:5 crop though losing a bit from top and bottom.

Cheers Neil. I'm not keen on the mono myself, it needs the river to be full of water instead of all those bare rocks.

I'll try that crop you mention. (y)

Be interested to see the mono one in colour

For comparison only, no real light on this one but this is the image I used for the mono, with a slightly tighter crop down the sides in the mono version.

IMGL3953 DPP LR CS6 JP tp.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice
I like that Dale

Cheers. (y)

I can't get my head around the mono version, possibly because there is little actual contrast in the original?

It just looks strange to me. A bit HDR-like......?

Yep, I hear you, I have the same feelings. It's not HDR in the sense that it's 3 images merged but I suppose it is HDR in the sense that I've really stretched the highlights and shadows. The light was very flat at that point which made me think mono but that treatment hasn't worked. I may try it again with a different approach, we'll see, or I may just go back on Saturday if it's calm. (y)

:)

It is a very nice shot.

Personally I think you do better from the bank higher up (in the mud bath), slightly better perspective in my opinion.

See I prefer this angle - it’s more dramatic but in a technical sense the higher bank gives you the foreground, middle and end, this gives you the foreground and end.

But I love this. Great work

See I prefer this angle - it’s more dramatic but in a technical sense the higher bank gives you the foreground, middle and end, this gives you the foreground and end.

But I love this. Great work

Where have you been matey? I thought you'd have bitten earlier. ;)

Thanks for the comment. (y)

Where have you been matey? I thought you'd have bitten earlier. ;)

Thanks for the comment. (y)

I’ve been in the Pyrenees for the last month - in the Ordesa Y Monte Perdido National Park mainly. Exploring the Pineta, Ordesa and Anisclo areas.

It’s been incredible:) just drove back from Spain today - 26hrs in the car non stop but worth it.

It’ll take me time to sort through the images, process but it’s been a tremendous success and I couldn’t recommend the area enough to you

Last edited:
I’ve been in the Pyrenees for the last month - in the Ordesa Y Monte Perdido National Park mainly. Exploring the Pineta, Ordesa and Anisclo areas.

It’s been incredible:) just drove back from Spain today - 26hrs in the car non stop but worth it.

It’ll take me time to sort through the images, process but it’s been a tremendous success and I couldn’t recommend the area enough to you

Awesome, look forward to seeing them.

Back