The "Canon Powershot G Series" owners thread

19968-1526809000-ed8964d0e44997875747317ad4bd448d.png

Is the G7X really better than the fuji X100 ? :) :rolleyes:

Isn't it great to have something so small with a tilt up screen, you can sit on a park bench feet on the ground with camera resting on your shoe, only babies take any notice! You're down in their world.

ikPrTebZuVXVSTGzWEULGT7J7jcbKi396QcwHn_m8RJqzCJmp6jHPaMDeyR6_Y9UjTk_Hst-to881ApIZixlR1nRuq-g1X2Zo02P18XXe6iPfSvoXZx4ryvFpcpCbFKpffhFnnCkujFjQYBVoAq-qqIMAYR3ixwycVWBzcVKkDLSlt7hwPOm1SKjqGwzFhIEIE_Adao8g__fKfRkn4iw0ms0eeFXT8hSU6zH51w0HO-m7Xyq5J_ziSpfVpEeznzptn2pEmvLTIIAVmbCycRFUEtSsVIgaFdigtpGUb0BykRWsHP1FHAOKHZFJ39-UNsVYHRhlLp4RgF-7jCoA6Hter5ToTOdB7JyA7xghujG4CIoaFcLdSahNXCLwGB7uc-n6dguO1gh1nivF_kwc6HmcU5a0ZaA_s859H6Q-JUnHdvF0A1vrLKZbJsMOzNvvtD8B1-876CjJ_F1ZVbGhws-4e3P260GB--XcUWtOIS5_5NgCrfn5AfxDiJQqVeKhK5Kzi8hT35Xh8IAJV16tZOvXiaJGDfpvMzwumwlWnoHRqdKfeR-gebH5_S4A8ENR9guXDOOPkldvDFuWqAcjLqUvrtgNsPt1fcB2rf2y4U=w1377-h885-no

Last edited:
How much you selling the d3300 fir ?:D
To be honest, I don't think I will sell any of my cameras. I may even buy another, in the not too distant future. Not for the better IQ, but for the enjoyment of the use of manual dials.

The high speed continuous shooting looks impressive, just been trying it out. I intend to try it out, when the grand children are dashing around the garden.

19972-1527097572-485c3ce65fad91b4ccc49032c7da4909.jpg

Messing about with the Canon and a cream doughnut. Nothing special, just for fun. Worried I may get jam and cream on the camera, decided to eat the cake and look for a safer prop. :)

Just noticed the program mode details, does not seem to save in the Jpeg file info. This is after I have converted from a raw file. However, the info does save in the Jpeg file, if the file was shot in Jpeg.

Having had the G7X for a little while now, and got the feel of it. I am getting a much higher percentage of photo keepers. Could it be a better camera than my others? Or maybe I am just enjoying using it more, so I am taking more care of what I am doing. Or perhaps it is both. :)

I can't figure out how to change focus point, when the touchscreen has been disabled. I can't find any reference to it in the manual, maybe it is not possible. :thinking:

Isn't it done with the wheel on the rear - press left, right, up, down?

Last edited:
Isn't it done with the wheel on the rear - press left, right, up, down?
No, that operates macro, flash output and shooting outputs etc. It is not like the Fuji X10, where your press the AF button and then toggle the rear wheel. Going to have another search on the net, seems silly not being able to toggle the AF points.

I think I have figured it out.

I have assigned the function button to AF Frame Adjustment. Once the Ring Function button has been assigned, once the button is pressed, the frame turns orange, and the message "Move The Frame" pops up. You can then press the rear wheel, up down left right the focus point moves accordingly.

Yippeee sorted :)

A real nifty feature, assigning the ring function to choose the AF point. Trouble is, I really liked the ring function assigned to ISO. Not sure what I will choose the default for the Ring Function, really torn between the two functions now.

I had trouble with this too, until I realised (as someone suggested) that I wasn't using the touchscreen to its full potential. Once I started using the touchscreen, it got a lot easier to operate the camera. I do think however it has been harder to learn than my DSLR (or maybe I'm a just a bit dim...) [emoji38]

... not sure I follow all this (touchscreen disabled!), but I adjust ISO by resting my right thumb on the right side of the screen and turning the front Control Ring.

I had trouble with this too, until I realised (as someone suggested) that I wasn't using the touchscreen to its full potential. Once I started using the touchscreen, it got a lot easier to operate the camera. I do think however it has been harder to learn than my DSLR (or maybe I'm a just a bit dim...) [emoji38]
It's different because it's so tiny. :)

I get a lot of fun out of both DSLR and G7X.

People here on this site are forever asking about upgrading and/or changing systems, I love having two different systems to keep me occupied. I tend to use them on alternate days/weeks and it means using different approaches, different thought processes. :naughty:

... not sure I follow all this (touchscreen disabled!), but I adjust ISO by resting my right thumb on the right side of the screen and turning the front Control Ring.
I have enabled touchscreen for the time being, and set Ring Function to ISO. Choosing AF point, by touching screen then toggling the rear dial seems to work pretty good. Or some may find it quicker, to tap and drag the focus point.

I like the simple things. I use center point and tap that where I want it to focus. For real close up macro I found auto mode works a treat.

I think you are rubbing off on me ( sounds rude lol) , as I feel like getting another camera. I think it is mainly for the fun factor, as I love dials and knobs. :)

Olympus em10 mark ii is what you need. Plenty of knobs, dial, and a touchscreen to get frustrated with :D
I have a love/dislike thing going on with the camera.

Olympus em10 mark ii is what you need. Plenty of knobs, dial, and a touchscreen to get frustrated with :D
I have a love/dislike thing going on with the camera.
A possible future purchase, possibly some time later in the year. ;)

Back