The Cheese Wharf, Buscot

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
No
The first proper freeze of winter is upon us, and the start of the colder months is really here. I love winter, being out early, wrapped up warm, footsteps crunching on a fresh frost. It’s definitely my favourite time for landscape photography. I paid a visit to a local haunt this morning, The Cheese Wharf on the River Thames at Buscot. I’m glad I did too, as the sunrise was stunning to say the least!

Canon EOS 5D Mark III|16-35mm F4 L|Lee Grad Filters

The Cheese Wharf by Jake Turner, on Flickr

Beautiful Jake. Good reflections, very atmospheric and you've resisted the urge to push the colours.

I dig the mellow tones and natural rendition!
Too bad it's dead centred…

Why is that an issue. If the horizon was lower the tree reflection would be cut off. Compositionally this image is an emotional and technical delight.

Spot on Steve, spot on. Lovely image as it is. I'm now leaning away from the must not be 50/50 for landscapes and can see the merit in them.

Reactions: ST4
Spot on Steve, spot on. Lovely image as it is. I'm now leaning away from the must not be 50/50 for landscapes and can see the merit in them.

Rules are there to be broken. I break them all the time. Particularly with still water shots. Nothing worse than things being cut off. Hell, I've got a website full of things on 50:50 and I love them and I love this image.

That really captures the spirit of the winter early morning
Nice one Jake, stunning pastel colours.
Indeed fantastic image Jake love the composition colours and detail in those trees especially when viewing large (y)
Nice Jake.... Very nice indeed!
Very nicely done Jake. Well done!
Thanks for the comments all!

I dig the mellow tones and natural rendition!
Too bad it's dead centred…
Thanks.
There is enough interest with the reflection, mid section and sky that dead centre is no issue.
I understand there is a 'photography rulebook' that some are stuck too, and it's true it does aid composition a lot of the time, however they are not 'rules' they are a set of guides, pointers or recommendations. They don't work for every image taken. If they did it would be a boring old world with lots of identical images. I'm more than happy with my 50/50 split on this image, having picked this one over a similar image with foreground interest and a 2/3 split.

The 50/50 split works a treat when something else is on a third, and that foreground tree is the perfect candidate to fill the third criteria!

Hi Mate thought you'd gone into hibernation for the winter;).
Unfortunately the frost never got down this far:( Oh well I'm sure it will be upon us soon enough, they had forecast snow by the end of November but none down here yet mores the pity.

That's a lovely shot of your favourite spot Jake, love those muted colours against the white frost. That's a really s**t hot early morning reflection you have there what I like is the silhouetted hard lines of the tree in the reflection(y)
Nice work mate!

The 50/50 split works a treat when something else is on a third, and that foreground tree is the perfect candidate to fill the third criteria!
Beautiful colours and excellent composition.
Hi Mate thought you'd gone into hibernation for the winter;).
Unfortunately the frost never got down this far:( Oh well I'm sure it will be upon us soon enough, they had forecast snow by the end of November but none down here yet mores the pity.

That's a lovely shot of your favourite spot Jake, love those muted colours against the white frost. That's a really s**t hot early morning reflection you have there what I like is the silhouetted hard lines of the tree in the reflection(y)
Nice work mate!
Excellent work Jake. Definitely worth the early start.
Cheers all :)

Back