The Cottage

I'm a big fan of recording underestimated urban architecture in a straight on way but your photo's pretty flawed? It's over exposed, badly timed & badly cropped. It's a shame because I like the pub's details & textures

Looks potentially interesting, but the dynamic range in this image is enormous, and I wonder if you might have needed to take steps to control that more. I'm not a fan of slamming the highlights and shadows sliders left & right, but in this case I think you might need to do that, plus a little tweaking in curves.

Re edit of the above, unfortunately, cant do anything about the timing, or the crop. Included the two persons to make it look 'lived in'. And yes had touse max on some sliders, never done that before. It was to me a difficult shot because the sun was absolutely full on, best day of last week, though not the best light for photography.

DSC_0765_00001 The Cottage Re edit by Andrew Wright, on Flickr

Last edited:
Overcast or cloudy days are often better for architecture shots because of the lower contrast.

I'd also lose the orange facade on the left, in fact the whole thing might look better in monochrome.

Back