NSFW The cutest killer! (A couple of graphic images of predation, don't view if these offend you)

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I was lucky enough to witness an incredible sight at the weekend, a stoat attacking a rabbit! I'd seen the stoat disappear a minute before I came across the already wounded rabbit, so I settled nearby and waited for the stoat to come back. Sure enough, it returned with in minutes and attacked the rabbit again. The rabbit struggled to shake off the stoat, but it wasn't strong enough. Two magpies then turned up to watch, before the stoat tried to drag the rabbit (still alive) to cover. It managed to drag it across the track where I found it, but had quite a bit of difficulty getting the rabbit (still struggling) across a patch of ice!

Stoat, the cutest killer! by Dave O'B, on Flickr

Stoat & rabbit by Dave O'B, on Flickr

Stoat & rabbit, plus spectators! by Dave O'B, on Flickr

Stoat & rabbit, plus spectator! by Dave O'B, on Flickr

Staring death in the face! by Dave O'B, on Flickr

Cheers,
Dave

Wow, you woulda thought the bunny coulda thrown it's weight around and gotten away!!

Amazing sequence and a reminder that these little creatures are vicious and effective predators, images shows its persistence in tackling the kill and the retrieve.

Definitely red in tooth & claw!

The Stoat is an amazingly determined predator willing and able to take on prey far bigger than itself and your sequence illustrates that very well.

Well seen and recorded :)

A great story telling sequence. A very long time ago I was driving down a lane and saw a stoat dragging a rabbit. You really do have to admire them, and I really wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of one! That must have been a privilege to watch.

Thanks all! It was an absolutely amazing sight to witness, though I have to admit I felt a little sorry for the rabbit! Still, the stoat was only doing what it needed to do to survive.

You really do have to admire them, and I really wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of one!

Jan, it's good job they're no bigger than they are!

Dave

well done capturing your set of images, they are very good and portray wildlife's daily struggle of life and death.

brilliant set of shots of this hunting stoat and its prey, nice one :)

Back