The dangers of Facebook groups

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
Yesterday it was reported that two suspected egg collectors where seen at Burton mere wetlands going after little owl eggs . ..the information as to whereabouts can only have come from social media , there’s a lot of new breed bird photographers ( unfortunately often ladies) with all the gear and no idea posting crap photos for likes ,,and often giving away locations in the process .
It’s not just Facebook though there Twitter and probably other forms of posting photos that do the same ,I class them as covid togs..I.e my photos must be good as all my contacts say so ?? .
The information super highway is becoming more dangerous every day

Yeah tell me about it and if you say anything,such that’s out of focus etc then all there friends are down your throat

This can be said of birders or twitchers re sharing exact info on a particular bird especially if its a bit special, I myself don't ask or relate more than a general area of any species other than maybe a town, city or even just the county (y)

This can be said of birders or twitchers re sharing exact info on a particular bird especially if its a bit special, I myself don't ask or relate more than a general area of any species other than maybe a town, city or even just the county (y)

'twitchers' would very likely not be interested in photographing breeding birds, they are far more interested in seeing the very rare vagrants that end up on our shores. The likely hood of the species they would seek breeding is incredibly remote. Having said that, there are birders out there who attend 'a twitch' with absolutely no idea what so ever about the birds they are studying, an example I saw was at the Common yellowthroat twitch in Gwent 10 years or so ago, a shout went up " there it is....there's two of them...they'll breed" ....the dude was watching blue tits. I think you will find 'twitchers' have far more respect for birds than Karen with a camera on Faceache.

Edit: just to add there have been (IIRC) just 5 records of Common yellowthroat in the UK, the enormity of seeing one in the UK is obvious, to actually have both a male and female in the same location, in springtime in the UK is probably beyond remote.

Last edited:
Lets be fair you could put a photo of Excrement on FB and it will get likes - I don;t use FB as Im sure you can tell :)

The point is that mrs numbty takes a photo of a rarity , then posts it on loads of faceberk groups for her ten seconds of fame ,with location usually added and suddenly it’s heaving with loads of her mates with all the gear and no idea .usually to the detriment of the bird / animal

Ahhrrrrggghhhhhh, don't get me started! there's a guy in my local area who posts as 'XXXXXX XXXXXX Photography', his images are, IMHO, utter tripe, mostly out of focus, nearly always over-saturated (to the extent that they almost hurt your eyes) and with rubbish composition (wonky horizons etc). Yet, the members of the local facebook group absolutely love most of his images, with lots of 'amazing', 'wow stunning' comments etc. It makes me wonder, am I doing something wrong, or trying too hard to make nice images? :ROFLMAO:

The point is that mrs numbty takes a photo of a rarity , then posts it on loads of faceberk groups for her ten seconds of fame ,with location usually added and suddenly it’s heaving with loads of her mates with all the gear and no idea .usually to the detriment of the bird / animal

The point is the learning curve is being bypassed by the web Jeff, !!

Yeah I do know ,one fairly local lady I do know of , gets a good variety of birds but every posted shot is highly over exposed and often lacking in focus , I was sat in my mobile hide recently quietly taking close ups .. when I looked out of the rear view mirror and saw her leading a group of around six others like a bloody tour guide and pointing out the birds I was taking . Did raise a bit of a chuckle between me and the wife

Ahhrrrrggghhhhhh, don't get me started! there's a guy in my local area who posts as 'XXXXXX XXXXXX Photography', his images are, IMHO, utter tripe, mostly out of focus, nearly always over-saturated (to the extent that they almost hurt your eyes) and with rubbish composition (wonky horizons etc). Yet, the members of the local facebook group absolutely love most of his images, with lots of 'amazing', 'wow stunning' comments etc. It makes me wonder, am I doing something wrong, or trying too hard to make nice images? :ROFLMAO:

Use your own mental ignore button. It's the only way........

Mine is plumb wore out :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
Mind you I think you might have laughed last week .. went back to cemlyn bay with another well known photographer and we got cut off on the shingle bank by a fast rising spring tide ,we had to scramble round the rocks outside the old farmhouse

Everyone has the same right as you to be there, I agree with your point but it's just the way it is.

As FlyPhot says, there's a local Facebook group where I live and someone posts the same type of picture, out of focus, blurred, noisy and he gets loads of 'amazing', 'fantastic pictures' type replies.

I'm not an expert in wildlife and I wouldn't try to say I was, but I go out with my R5/R6 and RF 100-500mm and try to get good pictures, so maybe you class me in the same bracket as 'all the gear and no idea' :ROFLMAO:

Back